• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Twenty-one Years ago tonight!

Chuck

IMG_1361.png

Oct. 27, 2002: The Anaheim Angels are THE Champions of Baseball | Top-50 Greatest Moments in Angels Baseball

By now, most Angels fans can recite Rory Markas’ call verbatim:

“Here’s the pitch to Lofton. Fly ball, center field. Erstad says he’s got it. Erstaaaaaad MAKES THE CATCH! The Anaheim Angels are the champions of baseball!”

When the Angels’ unofficial team captain settled under and clasped his glove around that most precious of final outs, it was the culmination of many things: an incredible World Series comeback; a riveting postseason run; an unprecedented 99 win regular season; the antidote for heartbreaking collapses in 1995, 1986 and 1982; a delivery on the promise of 1979; and the realization of a dream first dared to be dreamt in 1961.

The textbook version is simply that the Angels reached the pinnacle of their sport 42 seasons after their pursuit began. But to the fans, players, coaches and front office people who followed the Angels for any significant amount of time, of course the emotions run immensely deeper.

For me, it actually required a season or two of separation before I could truly appreciate the significance. Don’t get me wrong; I was as elated as anybody when the confetti and streamers came raining down upon us following Erstad’s catch.

But maybe I’d already spent all the emotion I could spare the day before, when I witnessed the birth of my first child and the rebirth of the Angels World Series hopes all within a span of about six hours. Or perhaps it was because even before the first pitch, the Game 7 victory truly seemed like a foregone conclusion following the previous night’s drama; and when was ANYTHING positive for the Angels a given during their first 41 seasons?

And that’s what struck me after the World Series championship had really sunk in – it happened, and it could happen again. Previously, I honestly wasn’t sure it ever would. Now, I believe it will again.

And while I think the moment when I first knew they were actually going to play in the World Series will always rank as the most emotional high in my years of being an Angels fan, in retrospect I’m so glad they went ahead and won it all while they were there. I mean all the greatest stories have a happy ending, don’t they?

Champions of baseball … yeah, that’ll do.

https://www.angelswin.com/blogs/entry/3061-top-50-greatest-moments-in-angels-baseball/

2 hours ago, T.G. said:

I was there. Such a great memory. Hope we get to experience it again.

I had tickets to game six.  At the time I knew I could not afford tickets to both game six and game seven.

I realized that if I went to game six and they won, that I would instantly know that I wish I had gone to game 7 instead of game six!

So I sold my game six tickets in the parking lot, bought game seven tickets, and watched game 6 on TV.

The thrill of game seven!!  It was the right move for sure. 

On 10/27/2023 at 1:30 PM, Dtwncbad said:

I had tickets to game six.  At the time I knew I could not afford tickets to both game six and game seven.

I realized that if I went to game six and they won, that I would instantly know that I wish I had gone to game 7 instead of game six!

So I sold my game six tickets in the parking lot, bought game seven tickets, and watched game 6 on TV.

The thrill of game seven!!  It was the right move for sure. 

Game six was the World Series win, seven was a formality.