• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Managerial Search Thread

BTH

28 minutes ago, bruin5 said:

Not sure why you are against this. The only criteria that some rely on is former Angels player. A fired 3B coach or former college manager, who both would never be considered by another team, are prime Angel Manager candidates.

I’m against it because my criteria isn’t “former Angels player.”

Nor should it be.

14 hours ago, bruin5 said:

Not sure why you are against this. The only criteria that some rely on is former Angels player. A fired 3B coach or former college manager, who both would never be considered by another team, are prime Angel Manager candidates.

One of them was a finalist for the Dodgers job and took himself out of the running.  The other one famously said he believed he was more valuable when he was swinging and not taking pitches.  The guy had award named after him given to the last guy on an opening day roster to walk in a season.

They are not the same.

3 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

The other one famously said he believed he was more valuable when he was swinging and not taking pitches.  The guy had award named after him given to the last guy on an opening day roster to walk in a season.

Found this article where he claims it was a joke. And the article says that approach is “a far cry from the plate approach he now preaches to his PawSox charges.”

https://www.providencejournal.com/story/sports/mlb/2013/05/04/20130504-disarcina-has-learned-the-value-of-a-walk-ece/35419559007/

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I realize Disar may not be that guy but I’d love a manager that gives the team an identity and some “grit” which I thought Nevin would provide. 

Maybe Erstad would be that guy.

No idea about DiSar

11 minutes ago, Swordsman78 said:

This managerial search is an embarrassing disaster.

No quality candidates, no tangible upside.  So dumb.

Besides Phil Nevin, in your mind, who would be a quality candidate with tangible upside?

Or is no candidate good enough because their name isn’t Phil Nevin?

13 minutes ago, Swordsman78 said:

This managerial search is an embarrassing disaster.

No quality candidates, no tangible upside.  So dumb.

I admit I haven’t been paying too much attention so I thought I would ask you.  Which of the many teams looking for a new manager grabbed Nevin?

8 minutes ago, Taylor said:

I'm predicting the new choice for manager will be underwhelming.

Although the last time it wasn't underwhelming, we got Joe Maddon, and look how that turned out.

This team has so many needs that if anyone thinks the new manager is going to get them to the playoffs then they are kidding themselves. 

1 hour ago, BTH said:

Besides Phil Nevin, in your mind, who would be a quality candidate with tangible upside?

Or is no candidate good enough because their name isn’t Phil Nevin?

Just thought that Perry had someone compelling lined up since he was so quick to "do something" to cover his @ss.   Personally I don't have a pony in the race but looks like we will end up with either a "has been", "never been", or "les-been".

Edited by Swordsman78

3 minutes ago, Swordsman78 said:

Just thought that Perry had someone compelling lined up since he was so quick to "do something" to cover his @ss.   Personally I don't have a pony in the race but looks like we will end up with either a "has been", "never been", or "les-been".

Who would you consider "compelling"?

5 minutes ago, Swordsman78 said:

If you believe Jeff Fletcher, it was Arte who was trying to “do something,” not Perry.

And Phil Nevin was a “never been,” yet you love him.

2 minutes ago, Swordsman78 said:

Someone with a pedigree along the lines of Terry Francona or Aaron Boone

What’s Aaron Boone’s pedigree?

Being friends with Phil Nevin and employing him as his 3B coach until the Yankees fired him?

2 minutes ago, BTH said:

If you believe Jeff Fletcher, it was Arte who was trying to “do something,” not Perry.

And Phil Nevin was a “never been,” yet you love him.

Yes, but my point was why change just to get more of the same, especially when the key returning players had his back.   Even Buck Showwalter didn't have a winning 1st season in his first 2-3 stints with various clubs. 

Angels were playoff contending at the trade deadline, even with Trout and the 3rd baseman out, plus all the other injuries.  It wasn't until the avalanche of injuries after the TD that proved to be insurmountable.

14 minutes ago, Swordsman78 said:

Nevin is two of those three. 

1 minute ago, BTH said:

Swordsman finding Aaron Boone compelling is the most on brand thing ever.

Nevin was a carbon copy of Boone in his mantras and tirades with umpires.

”Everything is in front of us.”

Compared to Ray Montgomery, Gary Disarcina, or Darren Erstad, even Blarg, woud be a compelling alternative