• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ohtani has cleared out his locker

jsnpritchett

2 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Pure speculation on a crazy alternative reason for the drama, for the downtime until Minasian speaks: the Angels told Ohtani they were putting him on the IL, he didn't like it because he wanted to keep trying to play, he bailed during the game, surprising the Angels/their comms team.

So the Angels let Ohtani call the shots for almost 3 years, but then stop letting him call the shots two weeks before the season ends?

Doubt it.

14 minutes ago, Biergott said:

Is the press conference going to be televised or streamed somewhere?  Seems to be of the magnitude where that might be appropriate…

I hope so, but I doubt it.

It also probably depends whether Perry is speaking at the dais on just in the dugout.

If it’s the former, there’s a chance.

Anyone know what time Perry is supposed to speak?

11 minutes ago, mmc said:

I don't know why people think there's "drama" here.  He's done for the season so he cleared out his locker.  Why do people think there's more to it than that?  Reeks of people wanting to be outraged about something.

Because it’s not how things normally go down.  I don’t want to be outraged, or angry.  But to have the MVP, and star of the league to go from day to day, to suddenly clearing out his locker in haste, with things supposedly in the trash also reek of anger or emotion as well.  That and the fact that we had not be announced on the IL, his manager giving updates each day that he’s close.  The team not instantly having a message.  Only the late IL move after all the “drama.”  Add this to the free agency looming after a historic season, it just sucks and we want to hear the story is all.  

any anger and outrage I have regarding this team, it’s owner, it’s luck, it’s endless stream of injuries this year, how it’s run at all levels has already come out since the all star break and trade deadline.  This honestly is more depressing as we all know he’s leaving but there’s no goodbye, no swan song, to thank you to the fans that adore him, seems so out of character.  But yeah he could just be emotional after wanting to do more and achieve more this year for his team and yes, himself.  So I get that’s probably a large part of it.

we just want to know is all. The angels terrible communication recently about injuries like Moniak and Rendon (yeah Rendon is digging a hole himself) just add onto that, probably coincidentally.  But it doesn’t help.

just my two cents

18 minutes ago, mmc said:

I don't know why people think there's "drama" here.  He's done for the season so he cleared out his locker.  Why do people think there's more to it than that?  Reeks of people wanting to be outraged about something.

Probably because it seemingly surprised the front office and they are being hush hush about it for seemingly no reason. 

Ohtani is part of the team. Other injured players (Trout for example) stay in the dugout and try to boost morale or give tips. 

Not all injured guys of course. Some are physically unable or choose not to, like Ohtani. Each has their own reasons. And each case is different. 

But it would be a sign of solidarity. As in 'we're all in this together, good or bad.' Especially if he knows he's leaving and it would be a last time to interact collectively. 

I guess language is a factor. But after six years you would think that basic communication through body language, gestures and some English could be effective. And Ippie still gets a paycheck.  

Very bad optics. I hope Perry is forthright and just doesn't make excuses. But they really can't create conflict if resigning him is still an objective.

35 minutes ago, mmc said:

The only confusing thing to me was why they couldn’t just say what happened yesterday.

Clearly, the communication between Perry and the PR staff was off.

55 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Pure speculation on a crazy alternative reason for the drama, for the downtime until Minasian speaks: the Angels told Ohtani they were putting him on the IL, he didn't like it because he wanted to keep trying to play, he bailed during the game, surprising the Angels/their comms team.

They told him Trey Cabbage need the at bats. Am I right, @Jeff Fletcher?

BTW that was one of the funniest things I've read here for a long while. 

6 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

Still, figure it out.  It's a really bad look for the comms team not to have any response at all, even if they found out 10 minutes before the reporters got into the clubhouse. 

After the Rendon nonsense ("ask the team" why they didn't update his status) and even Moniak telling reporters he was trying to come back and them noting he wasn't on the IL, followed 10 minutes later by the Angels PR account announcing he was on the IL, it's just pure amateur hour. 

Arte doesn't pay anyone in the organization besides the players on the 40 man, Carpino and himself. So no surprise all the interns are fucking things up.

the reason it took so long for the Angels PR department to put out a statement is because they needed time to convince Shohei to stay with the team.  The dude was out.  He was never going to play again this season.  He was done and tired of the charade.  

He's pissed about something.  You don't bail on picture day and then clean out your locker without letting someone know if you're just riding out the season.  This doesn't feel like the typical behavior of a superstar impending free agent who's waiting for the season to end.  

5 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

the reason it took so long for the Angels PR department to put out a statement is because they needed time to convince Shohei to stay with the team.  The dude was out.  He was never going to play again this season.  He was done and tired of the charade.  

He's pissed about something.  You don't bail on picture day and then clean out your locker without letting someone know if you're just riding out the season.  This doesn't feel like the typical behavior of a superstar impending free agent who's waiting for the season to end.  

So I missed the picture day thing, but saw something on here about it. Did they put someone else in his jersey for the picture, or something like that?