• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Shohei Ohtani tears UCL, won't pitch again this season

mmc

5 minutes ago, TroutField said:

If you could read, I said the reasons for not trading him were well documented… of course now that he needs TJ not trading him looks even worse.

Uhhh can you read?  You accused someone of Monday morning quarterbacking, when injury risk was one of the major factors as to why some of us felt he shouldn’t be signed and traded instead.  Pay attention.  Monday Morning quarterbacking is when you don’t take a stance until AFTER it happens, then you wanna criticize.  Learn to read kid. 

https://www.ocregister.com/2023/08/23/angels-shohei-ohtani-leaves-mound-early-with-arm-fatigue/

"Minasian said they haven’t yet determined if Ohtani will accompany the team on its three-city trip, which begins on Friday in New York.

“I think he needs time to wrap his head around it, talk to the people close to him,” Minasian said. “We’re in the process of getting second opinions. Once the information is there, he’ll make the right decision on what he wants to do, and we’ll support him, whatever he decides. … I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s in New York and he’s in the lineup. I know how bad he wants to play.”

Minasian said that Ohtani had not mentioned any pain in his elbow as he went through a tumultuous couple of months, with blister issues, a broken fingernail and cramping. He asked to skip his previous start, in Texas, because of what he described to the Angels as arm fatigue.

“He never complained about anything,” Minasian said. “He had cramps. He was dehydrated. But today is the day he came out of the game and said, ‘Hey, I have some pain in the elbow area.’ It’s the first day we heard about any type of pain.”

5 minutes ago, ScottSted said:

L take. Everyone in and around this org has put all of the onus on Ohtani to carry the team for the last handful of years and he has had almost zero legitimate support, besides Trout, around him on the field. The beginning of this year, I’d argue, was the only time in his tenure here where we actually had a real major league baseball team around him. How many “Ohtani and Trout homer but the Angels lose 9-8” memes did we see?  

The Angels having shit baseball teams is not why Ohtani got injured.  

23 minutes ago, ScottSted said:

It’s a fitting final chapter on this era of Angels baseball.

Shohei picked the Angels, we absolutely wore him out with zero support for six years and now he leaves with a blown out elbow. We screwed ourselves and we screwed the best player of all time. 

We mortgaged the future for a few washed up rentals who look like absolute dogshit and will likely walk in 6 weeks. And Mike Trout is signed forever but can’t stay on the field and has already regressed to just being Very Good when he is on the field. 

It’s about as bleak as it can get. From the top down, this organization needs to be cleaned out. Maybe then, we will have a chance in 2027.

Ffs stfu

2 minutes ago, full circle said:

The Angels having shit baseball teams is not why Ohtani got injured.  

I’m not saying it’s the reason he got injured (though the way I phrased the first post was sloppy and wrong)

I’m just trying to point out that they squandered his six years here with shit teams and it’s only fitting that he blew out his elbow after we sucked all the life out of him. There’s no doubt that he must’ve felt like he had to be superman to try to get this garbage franchise to sniff the playoffs. 

All around depressing shit.

10 minutes ago, full circle said:

If this ends up costing him 300 mil or so, I think he’ll care. 

I really don't.  I think he cares more about doing both, creating a legacy, and winning.  

The dude is gonna make, what, $65-70 million this year?  

I also don't think it's that big of a hit.

As a hitter only.  If he never pitched again.  He'd get  Trout/Judge money

3 minutes ago, ScottT said:

I really don't.  I think he cares more about doing both, creating a legacy, and winning.  

Not when he doesn’t play a position he won’t.  DHs don’t make 400 million.  300 is a loooong stretch.  So yes, a 300 million dollar loss on this is very realistic IMO.  

5 minutes ago, ScottT said:

Trout & Judge are both 2-way players, and contribute in other ways.  They're not simply designated hitters.

3 minutes ago, full circle said:

Not when he doesn’t play a position he won’t.  DHs don’t make 400 million.  300 is a loooong stretch.  So yes, a 300 million dollar loss on this is very realistic IMO.  

I disagree.

What nobody realistically assessed with these $700 million figures was the longevity of doing both.  

But if he is a DH.   And maybe eventually an outfielder.   What doesn't go away is the advertising revenue.  Maybe i's not as much as it would have been, but it'll still be significant.  The guy is still worth $400 million in this market and he wasn't getting $700 million.

Just now, ScottT said:

I disagree.

What nobody realistically assessed with these $700 million figures was the longevity of doing both.  

But if he is a DH.   And maybe eventually an outfielder.   What doesn't go away is the advertising revenue.  Maybe i's not as much as it would have been, but it'll still be significant.  The guy is still worth $400 million in this market and he wasn't getting $700 million.

A team with a marginally functional medical staff will recognize his value beyond 2024 and will pay him what he's worth

26 minutes ago, full circle said:

Once you have surgery on something, it must be rehabbed.  He has to decide what’s best for his career as to when to get the surgery.  Of course he can hit before he gets it tho, like he did in 2018.  

Yeah yeah yeah.  So he misses a month or so?

Amazing

1 hour ago, ScottSted said:

It’s a fitting final chapter on this era of Angels baseball.

Shohei picked the Angels, we absolutely wore him out with zero support for six years and now he leaves with a blown out elbow. We screwed ourselves and we screwed the best player of all time. 

We mortgaged the future for a few washed up rentals who look like absolute dogshit and will likely walk in 6 weeks. And Mike Trout is signed forever but can’t stay on the field and has already regressed to just being Very Good when he is on the field. 

It’s about as bleak as it can get. From the top down, this organization needs to be cleaned out. Maybe then, we will have a chance in 2027.

No, clean out the organization and you will have nothing for a few years with no guarantee of what will come after that.  That's a fan emotional reaction brought on by frustration, not a measured response with a plan to contend as soon as possible.

1 hour ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

The Trout thing is a little shocking... probably deserves its own thread. He just came back so his clock is reset. He's now looking at going beyond the long end of those "4"-8 weeks.

Will Trout ever again play at least 140 games?  Has only averaged under 100 games since the start of the contract.

Judge makes $360 million for 9 seasons, starting this his age 31 season.  If Ohtani focuses on DH in 2024 (age 30 season) and then RF the following 9 seasons, someone will offer him 10 years/$450 million tops.

Edited by Angel Oracle

Pretty miserable stuff fellas.  What can you say.  Huge set back for probably the best player any of us will ever see.  Somehow the Angels are more brutal to follow every year this goes on.  This is like the 4th time this season I’ve earnestly felt they’ve hit rock bottom.  Just an unbelievable disaster of a baseball club. 

Edited by UndertheHalo