• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: (8/19/23 Game 2 6pm): Rays @ Angels: Sandoval on the mound, Adams in CF

Realistically, .500 is the only achievable objective. It's all in their hands. And not contingent on what other teams do or the standings. 

Talking about the playoffs now is delusional. Right or wrong they thought they were going to have momentum after the deadline moves. It imploded instead. The replacement additions and second stringers just haven't been good enough. No veteran other than Ohtani has carried the team or made a difference. And the manager hasn't worked any magic with his in game strategies and moves. 

At best they can be a .500 team and have a reasonable argument that it was the best they could do under the circumstances. But now even getting to .500 looks more and more like a difficult goal. 

33 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Does this look like a playoff team to you?  That thought ended with that 7 game losing streak after the deadline. 

It hasn't since May and I advocated for trading Shohei, but that is revisionist, and we won't re-litigate that.

The issue with this team isn't talent, its philosophy. I think we've seen that with some trades (Mous, Cron, Grichuk) and call-ups. We need a culture shift, not a talent shift. It's a work in progress but I like the direction.

I think Perry is PHENOMENAL and I hope he gets the chance to actually build his own team. "Ownership" just needs to get out of the way, for once.

18 minutes ago, Duren, Duren said:

Realistically, .500 is the only achievable objective. It's all in their hands. And not contingent on what other teams do or the standings. 

Talking about the playoffs now is delusional. Right or wrong they thought they were going to have momentum after the deadline moves. It imploded instead. The replacement additions and second stringers just haven't been good enough. No veteran other than Ohtani has carried the team or made a difference. And the manager hasn't worked any magic with his in game strategies and moves. 

At best they can be a .500 team and have a reasonable argument that it was the best they could do under the circumstances. But now even getting to .500 looks more and more like a difficult goal. 

And have to go 20-17 to achieve that.

After going 17-27 in past 44 games, that’s a tall order.

Time to honestly look in the mirror. Even if we had Rendon, Trout, Neto, O'Hoppe for the full year, we all can see that this team would have been undone by its pitching anyways. Just in the last week, how many times have we let the opposing team scrore 8+ runs? A real playoff team could go an entire season without giving up 12+ even once and we've done it at least three times this week alone. The pitching/catching philosophy needs to be revisited (or blown up) and reconstructed. From the minors to the majors and down to the scouting at all levels. I miss the days of Stoneman, Bud Black, and Scioscia. The pitching and catching were in sync up and down the organization and the results reflected that. It may be time to poach people from other organizations with a history of successful pitching results and consider if we can find someone to bring back the skills in catching taught by Scioscia. 

I was chatting with a friend about the Angels with the game on in the background at a kind of school year kick off bbq.  

Trying to explain to him why the team is so frustrating and how they just play bad baseball.  The score was 2-0 at the time .  

About 30 minutes later, he totally understood.  

I made some killer smoked pulled pork though.  

They have now given up 22 more runs this month than the 2nd worst team in MLB. lol

They've given up 79 more runs than the Rangers.

ERA 0.97 higher than the 29th worst Rockies pitching staff.

ERA 4.12 higher than the Dodgers.

7-15 since July 28th and outscored 139-73. The pitching is actually somehow getting worse, not better.