• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Best Path Forward

LaPalma

12 minutes ago, SoCalDucksFan said:

Ohtani is gone, it's not up to Angels to "let him go."  They're not going to get rid of Trout, because he's the only decent player they'll have left.  Nobody is going to trade for Rendon, knowing that he'll probably trip over his shoelace, and be out for 2 seasons.

So, 2026 will be Rendon's final season.  So, I guess we will have to wait until 2027 when we have a decent team. We will be looking at Trout as another Pujols by then. 

11 hours ago, LaPalma said:

I’m tired of OK.  Time to sign Ohtani and start building around him.  If done right, we can be a contender in 3 years.

I’m sick and tired of losing seasons every year, with no end in sight.

One season may not totally dictate the next season, it’s just very tiresome.

And embarrassing being a Halos fan amongst fans of winning teams

3 hours ago, Chico said:

Ohtani is smart. He wants to win. He must know what Arte Moreno is by now. I don't think he's going to sign for any amount of money with the Angels. As long as Moreno is the owner, the Angels are going to be losers. He prevents the team from winning.

I agree completely.  Best way of keeping him might have been if team had been sold last year like he said it would.  Perhaps no buyer wanted to be blamed for losing this generation's Babe Ruth, or maybe it's just because Arte is an A-hole, and had too big and ego, and thought he could somehow convince Ohtani to stay on his own.  Whatever, he ended up burning the team to the ground, so next year is going to be even more of a disaster.

They need to sign Ohtani, but it's not likely.

The best path forward was to trade Ohtani, Esteves, Moore, and anyone else of value nearing the end of their deals. If Ohtani really wanted to sign long-term with the Angels, a good GM would be able to convince him the best way to win with this team long term would be to trade him. Instead Perry let Shohei convince him to trade what little talent they had in the farm for a shot in the dark. It's completely backfired as expected. 

If they sign Ohtani then I'll be happy with everything they did. If they don't, Perry needs to be fired because he will have set back this franchise even further. The only reason the Angels should have been buyers at the deadline is if he is 100% sure Ohtani will sign in the offseason. If he did it just in hopes of increasing Angels chance to sign Ohtani and to give the fans the "excitement" of trying to go for it while Ohtani is still here, then he's an idiot and not fit to be a GM.

Edited by AngelsFanSince86

5 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

I’m sick and tired of losing seasons every year, with no end in sight.

One season may not totally dictate the next season, it’s just very tiresome.

And embarrassing being a Halos fan amongst fans of winning teams

I have a slight, but growing, fear that we will surpass Pittsburgh's streak of 20 straight losing seasons. It's quite possible.

4 hours ago, AngelsFanSince86 said:

They need to sign Ohtani, but it's not likely.

The best path forward was to trade Ohtani, Esteves, Moore, and anyone else of value nearing the end of their deals. If Ohtani really wanted to sign long-term with the Angels, a good GM would be able to convince him the best way to win with this team long term would be to trade him. Instead Perry let Shohei convince him to trade what little talent they had in the farm for a shot in the dark. It's completely backfired as expected. 

If they sign Ohtani then I'll be happy with everything they did. If they don't, Perry needs to be fired because he will have set back this franchise even further. The only reason the Angels should have been buyers at the deadline is if he is 100% sure Ohtani will sign in the offseason. If he did it just in hopes of increasing Angels chance to sign Ohtani and to give the fans the "excitement" of trying to go for it while Ohtani is still here, then he's an idiot and not fit to be a GM.

There's NO WAY that Ohtani dictated what should have been done at the deadline.  ZERO.  He did not convince Perry of anything.  If he had wanted to sign a long term deal, he would have done so.  It's clear that he was prepared to leave as a Free Agent.  He all but signaled that to the Angels.

What you said in the 2nd paragraph is exactly true.  The Angels owner thought he could increase the chance of signing Ohtani, by making a run at the Playoffs.  It almost certainly wouldn't have made a difference if they had made the Playoffs, which was possible, but a very long shot to begin with.  That slim possibility would have been zero without Ohtani, since he's the only player on the roster other than the currently injured Trout, who could make that possible.

The owner doesn't have a clue what he's doing, or know how to run a baseball team, among other things, so I wouldn't be surprised if nothing happens to Perry when Ohtani leaves in a few weeks.  Then again, he may need a scapegoat, for losing a generational talent, in which case, Perry is right there as an option.

7 hours ago, SoCalDucksFan said:

I agree completely.  Best way of keeping him might have been if team had been sold last year like he said it would.  Perhaps no buyer wanted to be blamed for losing this generation's Babe Ruth, or maybe it's just because Arte is an A-hole, and had too big and ego, and thought he could somehow convince Ohtani to stay on his own.  Whatever, he ended up burning the team to the ground, so next year is going to be even more of a disaster.

Arte is in "Curse of the Bambino" territory here. A big difference is that in 1919, Red Sox owner Harry Frazee sold Babe Ruth to the Yankees for $100,000 cash (approx $1.8 million in today's money) and Arte will get nothing for Ohtani.  Then he'll finally sell the team because the fans will revolt. 

Halos are on best path forward. Some young players in Neto, O'Hoppe, Moniak, Adell, first round pick this year. Young pitchers in Silseth, Sandoval, Detmers, Canning, Soriano, Joyce, Bachman among others. All these young players should only get better. Add in vets Trout, Drury maybe resign Moose this team will be OK. Ohtani leaves money for free agents.