• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Best Path Forward

LaPalma

• Sign Ohtani, whatever it takes.  The guy has no quit in him, and has the right stuff to play strong into his 40’s.  He’s the player we need.
  • Build the farm, no more trading prospects away.  We need good pieces as we seen to be injury prone to put it mildly.
  • Accept that the next couple years will be ugly until Rendon comes off the books.
  • Celebrate in 2026

Japanese players are unusually durable.  Being thin and wiry helps, but they also have a single mindedness and self discipline that is cultural.  I’m knocking on 50 and still climb 5.12+ which is better than most 25 year old climbers.  It’s all about conditioning and genetics.  The HR sluggers peak early and fall apart.  We don’t need any more of those.

I don’t see a path to contention next year, honestly. 

It’s so difficult to envision a rebuild with Trout and Rendon contracts on the books, nobody would be willing to take them on…. 

Perry has his work cut out for him. My assumption is they will try to resign Giolito and Moore, maybe one more FA reliever. They will then need to find a short term 1st baseman in hopes their first rounder Schanuel is ready to contribute at some point in 2024… also will need infield depth (Urshela?), and most likely a 3rd baseman. Trout is most likely the DH with some combination of Adell, Ward, Moniak, Trout, and Adams. 

A rotation of Giolito, Canning, Sandoval, Detmers, and Anderson will give us much of the same… .500 club with small flashes of good play. Continuing the theme of patch work jobs and hope to be competitive. There really isn’t any other path until they can somehow improve the minor league system, but that’s going to take a lot of time, and it was set back even further by the trades at the deadline.

Ohtani is gone IMO.  And ok.  We have to live with that.  It was very Angels-like to trade for this year and keep him and then get wiped out by Seattle.  

This org won’t win without establishing some contrary actions to the very poor line of thinking that’s been in place for 20 years. 

They can’t really sell off so whether they keep Ohtani or not they have to try and again next year.  That’s it.  What the fuck are they going to trade to “rebuild” ?

the useful assets are all young controlled pitchers in the majors now and like Zach Neto.  

they have to try and keep Ohtani.  That’s it.  It’s all they can do.  And if they do that they have to spend more to build around him now.  That’s the only not stupid thing to do if your concern is fielding a good baseball team. 

Seattle just came onto our field and gave Ohtani a power point on signing with them this offseason. They effectively ended our season while he sat there and watched. 

I've accepted Ohtani is gone if we miss the playoffs; I would love to be wrong about that. I think what needs to happen is what's needed to happen for awhile now; we need to blow it up. Trade whatever you can for prospects, clear out whatever bad contracts you can, and start from scratch. 

Just now, Angels_Make_Me_Drink said:

Seattle just came onto our field and gave Ohtani a power point on signing with them this offseason. They effectively ended our season while he sat there and watched. 

I've accepted Ohtani is gone if we miss the playoffs; I would love to be wrong about that. I think what needs to happen is what's needed to happen for awhile now; we need to blow it up. Trade whatever you can for prospects, clear out whatever bad contracts you can, and start from scratch. 

Look at who the team controls beyond this season and tell me who is realistically tradable for anything of value, please.  (And if you say someone like Sandoval or Canning, etc., trading those guys just opens up more gaps in the roster to fill.)

4 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Look at who the team controls beyond this season and tell me who is realistically tradable for anything of value, please.  (And if you say someone like Sandoval or Canning, etc., trading those guys just opens up more gaps in the roster to fill.)

I think it’s going to take a LONG rebuild. That includes trading Sandoval, Detmers, Canning, Drury, hell even O’hoppe and Moniak. Plan on competing again in 2027-2028. This shit is broken and there is nobody that’s going to impact the major league roster to the point of us being competitive in our minor league system. 

2 hours ago, ScottSted said:

The best step forward is Arte to sell, the entire FO cleaned out, Nevin gone, only keep Trout and try to win when he’s an old man. Reality sucks. 

I don’t mind Nevin but Arte is pure shit on a stick. This organization has been raped, lit on fire, robbed and raped. They won’t make the playoffs until he sells. 

26 minutes ago, TroutField said:

I think it’s going to take a LONG rebuild. That includes trading Sandoval, Detmers, Canning, Drury, hell even O’hoppe and Moniak. Plan on competing again in 2027-2028. This shit is broken and there is nobody that’s going to impact the major league roster to the point of us being competitive in our minor league system. 

Why the hell would they trade O'Hoppe? That makes no sense, even with a full rebuild.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/the-angels-are-going-for-it-with-shohei-ohtani-but-they-could-require-hard-reset-if-he-leaves-in-free-agency/

10 players listed including Ohtani who are set to be FA's.  As the article points out they may not be big name in demand players but the Angels talent level could drop off quite a bit.  On the flip side they could replace some of those guys with better players but the last so many year's of FA signings and acquisitions don't give me much hope.  Even if they re-sign Ohtani the FO is going to have their work cut out of them. 

6 minutes ago, cysomeawfulpitcher said:

SELL

THE

TEAM

CHEAPSKATE

FARTE

What planet do you live on?  We are now even in luxury tax territory.  Probably the first thing any new owner will do is get it back into non-luxury tax territory at a minimum.

48 minutes ago, TroutField said:

It doesn’t make any sense to trade Detmers, Canning, Sandoval, Silseth, Neto, O’Hoppe, and Moniak.  These are all young controlled players.  Why the fuck would you trade players like this for prospects?  Completely pointless.  What’s the saying? A bird in hand is worth two in the bush? In this case it’s more like 4 in the bush.  And to be clear.  These are the assets that the Angels have that are valuable.  These are they guys you’re moving for your rebuild. 

They should re sign Giolito, since he’s the kind of FA pitcher they’ve been needing anyway to anchor the rotation of young guys with Anderson.  It’s good they have Drury as he’s a needed hole plugger. Hopefully they can keep Ohtani.  Otherwise they don’t have any choice really but to spend the money to plug the holes in the roster. 

Again, why do we think they’ll execute a successful rebuild if they can’t manage putting a winner on the field with the built in handicap that is Ohtani and Trout.  Now is not the time to bail on the young group they have which is better then what they’ve had in a while.  They’re $$$ committed to Trout and that worthless asshole Rendon.  “Rebuilding” is just subbing the young players we have that are big leaguers for more young prospects that may or may not be big leaguers and watching Trout get older. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

11 minutes ago, ylangel said:

Don't massively overpay for Ohtani.  Let him be someone else's Pujols.  Consider Rendon a sunk cost.  Take the $$ that would have gone to Ohtani and start the rebuild.

Ohtani is the opposite of Pujols.  He’s thin and wiry and actually stays in shape.  I think he’ll hold up for many years.  Also his real age is known ha.

3 minutes ago, LaPalma said:

Ohtani is the opposite of Pujols.  He’s thin and wiry and actually stays in shape.  I think he’ll hold up for many years.  Also his real age is known ha.

He'll be 30 next year.  Can't survive in a 5 man rotation, so forces his team to carry 6 starters (and that 6th starter usually results in a loss), has no position in the field and is showing signs of breaking down (cramping?).  Dude is massively overvalued.  We should wish him well and move on.