• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Who should the Halos 2023 first round pick be, if available?

Who should be the Halos 2023 first round pick?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the Halos 2023 first round pick, if available?

• Brett Lowder
    • Kyle Teel
    • Chase Dollander
    • Jacob Gonzalez
    • Brayden Taylor
    • Enrique Bradfield Jr.
    • Matt Shaw
    • Someone else

From what I recall, no one really had the Angels linked with Zach Neto before they picked him.

So if were looking for a college hitter who can hit that hasn’t been connected much publicly to the Angels, that may be Tommy Troy.

Waldrep might be the pitching version.

2 hours ago, T.G. said:

Check out this interesting perspective about drafting pitchers:

MLB Draft Perspective: Paul Skenes, Rhett Lowder, Chase Dollander, and Bobby Miller

by Justin Orenduff

Interesting look at drafting pitchers early 

Makes one possibly rethink drafting Dollander if available, and instead draft Gonzalez, Shaw, Taylor, or Bradfield Jr.?

Looks like the drafting pitchers focus if possible should be on stuff, leg strength, mental makeup, and how quickly they pitch (able to handle pitch clock)?

Edited by Angel Oracle

4 hours ago, DMVol said:

Sorry if this has been posted but the latest from Keith Law and The Athletic:

1. Los Angeles Angels – Nolan Schanuel, 1B, FAU

All the names here now are fast-to-the-majors college types, and Schanuel might be one of the fastest because he’s hit for contact and power at exceptional rates and you’re not waiting on growth or projection. I’ve also heard Dollander here, a little Houck, Lowder of course if he gets this far. I haven’t heard Shaw as much as I should, though, as he could move quickly with a shift to second base.

His .614 OPS a year ago in the Cape Cod League (155 PAs) is a concern.

Edited by Angel Oracle

The most intriguing name to me is Bradfield Jr. I just wish he showed the potential for at least average power.

My gut instinct tells me this will be the pick, if I'm right then I look like a genius. Wrong, no harm no foul...everybody else prob got it wrong.

Elite speed, Gold glove D, good approach at the plate with nice contact.

Looking at his bio he reminds me of Juan Pierre.

Underwhelming? Yes!

Believe it or not Juan Pierre had a nice little career with a .295 career avg, over 2,200 base hits and a bunch of SB. Struck out less than 500 times in a 13 year career. Also only hit a handful of HR's!

Do you want more than a JP out of a first rounder, absolutely!

Do you complain if you get JP in the first round..idk

614 career SB for Pierre!

Edited by REDneck

What is really amazing to me is that a lot of these guys could be set for life as far as money goes if they're smart, without even a semblance of success in pro ball.

A guy like Chase Dollander could use his signing bonus, if he flames out in a few years and open a business.

Chase Dollander used cars with a motto of...I couldn't strike anyone out and you won't strike out either buying a car from me.

51 minutes ago, REDneck said:

The most intriguing name to me is Bradfield Jr. I just wish he showed the potential for at least average power.

My gut instinct tells me this will be the pick, if I'm right then I look like a genius. Wrong, no harm no foul...everybody else prob got it wrong.

Underwhelming? Yes!

Believe it or not Juan Pierre had a nice little career with a .295 career avg, over 2,200 base hits and a bunch of SB. Struck out less than 500 times in a 13 year career. Also only hit a handful of HR's!

JP never won a gold glove. Very nice career and with new rules on pickoff attempts be nice to add speed in lineup.

22 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

You said gold glove D, JP also very weak arm. Good player to have at top of order.

Old man put your spectacles on and read the post again.

And remember I'm one of your biggest supporters on this site.

7 hours ago, Trendon said:

To me, he sounds like David Fletcher.

Singles hitter with good defense.

I’d aim higher at #11 overall.

Keep in mind, they found Fletcher in the 6th round.

I think the main problem with Fletcher was his lack of plate discipline which led to a scarcity of walks. Remember at one time he was hitting around .295 but he couldn't sustain it. If Wilson can hit like Fletch used to plus add a bunch of walks he might be worth it at #11.

Also I recall that Wilson's power was around a 50. Do you consider this decent/acceptable for a middle infielder?

~ArkyAngelsFan~

21 minutes ago, ArkyAngelsFan said:

I think the main problem with Fletcher was his lack of plate discipline which led to a scarcity of walks. Remember at one time he was hitting around .295 but he couldn't sustain it. If Wilson can hit like Fletch used to plus add a bunch of walks he might be worth it at #11.

Also I recall that Wilson's power was around a 50. Do you consider this decent/acceptable for a middle infielder?

~ArkyAngelsFan~

If Wilson’s power is a 50, that’d be perfectly acceptable for a SS.

But I have doubts that it is.

The thing with Fletcher is he doesn’t bring anything else to the table besides average and defense. If he had speed to turn singles into doubles via SBs, he’d be great. Or, like you said, if he walked more.

I don’t think Wilson has impactful speed or power that would separate him from a Fletcher type.

4 hours ago, REDneck said:

Underwhelming? Yes!

While speed is definitely coming back to the game, I don't see Perry spending a first round pick, especially at 11, on a player with no power. Pitching, such as Lowder and Dollander, I can see if available. Aside from them, a player with a lot more power is more likely, based on how Perry has constructed teams. 

Sure, a Juan Pierre would be great, but, there are a LOT more players with speed and no power who haven't become anything like that. On top of that, we have Jordyn Adams who was an 80-grade runner with more pop and Nelson Rada who is already burning it up at 17 years old at IE. While one always takes the BPA, we have guys who profile like Bradfield, Jr. (although Rada is not a true 80 grade runner), so if none of the top arms are available, I see the Angels taking a guy like Shaw or Schanuel (who I've been touting for quite a bit now) as more of a true potential difference maker. 

4 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

His .614 OPS a year ago in the Cape Cod League (155 PAs) is a concern.

Yes, I know, but it was a small sample size and the plate discipline was still there. But, that's why I won't be surprised if they go with Shaw who was the Cape Cod MVP as Perry seems to prefer success in the Cape Cod. Knowing how many wood bat leagues HS kids play in, I don't think it's so much of a metal/wood bat issue.

What I'm more concerned about is that as far as I can tell that Nolan hasn't really ever been that far from home, up until the Cape Cod League. He played college very near where he grew up, so I don't know about his mental makeup and fortitude. This is one of the many reasons why scouting is so important. Even if he is a fast riser in an organization, he's still going to go to some really small towns in the midwest or south in any organization, and how will he take to that is a bit of a concern (compared to other players who went far away from home to play college). I'm sure that we've kicked the tires on both, and hopefully we will get the right and better player.

12 minutes ago, Dave Saltzer said:

While speed is definitely coming back to the game, I don't see Perry spending a first round pick, especially at 11, on a player with no power. Pitching, such as Lowder and Dollander, I can see if available. Aside from them, a player with a lot more power is more likely, based on how Perry has constructed teams. 

Sure, a Juan Pierre would be great, but, there are a LOT more players with speed and no power who haven't become anything like that. On top of that, we have Jordyn Adams who was an 80-grade runner with more pop and Nelson Rada who is already burning it up at 17 years old at IE. While one always takes the BPA, we have guys who profile like Bradfield, Jr. (although Rada is not a true 80 grade runner), so if none of the top arms are available, I see the Angels taking a guy like Shaw or Schanuel (who I've been touting for quite a bit now) as more of a true potential difference maker. 

K

15 minutes ago, ukyah said:

i'm not advocating for this, but i wouldn't be surprised if they took someone slotted lower than 11 to sign for below slot, which may allow them to be more aggressive throughout the draft.

They did that in 2021 and 2022, so I think your assessment is correct. And a good point.