• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread (6/25/23): Angels @ Rockies

mmc

Since history repeats itself with the Angels, despite the repitition not being logical based on the laws of averages, the same bad luck happens every year, which is why I predicted, and still predict 75 wins.

I do not expect to see Neto,Rendon, or O,Hoppe this year; to think otherwise will set me up for disappointment.

The Angels are one of six teams competing for two spots, yet injuries, that seem like Angel destiny when a player is playing at their highest level, will likely push them out of contention.

PLEASE Angels, prove me to be a ridiculous and pessimistic anal opening. I would love the chance to gladly berate myself for my cynicism.

3 hours ago, Trendon said:

And, is there a reason why a reporter wouldn't ask a follow-up question there? It seems like a pretty obvious question to follow-up with. Maybe he doesn't give an answer, but you don't know unless you ask.

I didn’t hear the exchange or see the game, but sometimes in a case like this if the manager is really pissed off about something and it’s on camera your best bet is to pull him aside after the cameras stop and get the answer. 

With strategic stuff they very often don’t want be quoted ripping one of his players, but if you get him off the record after he’ll tell you the actual reason and you just have to find a way to work it in without attaching it to his name. 

Of course if you just try to corner him or embarrass him on TV in the interest of gotcha journalism and getting Twitter to cheer you on, then he’s not going to tell you anything. 

I don’t know about this situation exactly, but speaking in general when there are unresolved issues from what you see on TV, that’s why. 

19 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I didn’t hear the exchange or see the game, but sometimes in a case like this if the manager is really pissed off about something and it’s on camera your best bet is to pull him aside after the cameras stop and get the answer. 

With strategic stuff they very often don’t want be quoted ripping one of his players, but if you get him off the record after he’ll tell you the actual reason and you just have to find a way to work it in without attaching it to his name. 

Of course if you just try to corner him or embarrass him on TV in the interest of gotcha journalism and getting Twitter to cheer you on, then he’s not going to tell you anything. 

I don’t know about this situation exactly, but speaking in general when there are unresolved issues from what you see on TV, that’s why. 

Thank you, it’s just weird that he would send up Rengifo, who has rarely ever hit RHP well, in favor of a guy who has (Moose).

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

This is very interesting inside baseball. Thanks for sharing.

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Thanks for the insight.

Tough in this situation, since we likely won’t find out what the actual reason was.

If that’s the best approach to getting an answer, I totally respect that. But since you’re not there, now we just get no answer.

Nevin was clearly frustrated, which makes me wonder even more why he didn’t use Moustakas.

The fact that he gave no explanation makes me think either:

a. He wasn’t allowed to, for some reason.

b. He realized he made a mistake but didn’t want to admit it.

2 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Jeff is there any kind of professional etiquette regarding moose and why he wasn't used today, that you're privy too?

The guy was playing for the other team less than 24 hours ago.

It just seems to me that there could be a human element or professional etiquette at play here.

Example, you PH with moose and he wins the game. That just seems to be a rub in the face to CO esp after you drop 25 runs on them previously.

I can't think of another reason.

Extreme example. If Shohei was traded and especially if he just switched dugouts mid series and then beat u next game.

Angel fans would feel lil bit something about that.

That's life, I get it!

But maybe there is some kind of etiquette here?

2 hours ago, Trendon said:

Thanks for the insight.

Tough in this situation, since we likely won’t find out what the actual reason was.

If that’s the best approach to getting an answer, I totally respect that. But since you’re not there, now we just get no answer.

Makes you appreciate me! 😂

Seriously, though, this is why people need to subscribe to whatever outlet they like. It’s easy to say “oh I can get all the same stuff from Twitter or the message board or the broadcast,” but you can’t. 

2 hours ago, REDneck said:

Jeff is there any kind of professional etiquette regarding moose and why he wasn't used today, that you're privy too?

The guy was playing for the other team less than 24 hours ago.

It just seems to me that there could be a human element or professional etiquette at play here.

Example, you PH with moose and he wins the game. That just seems to be a rub in the face to CO esp after you drop 25 runs on them previously.

I can't think of another reason.

I don’t think there’s any “etiquette” in a case like this. 

4 minutes ago, Chico said:

It's so Angels to win 25-1 against a .388 bottomfeeder but go on to lose the series. What is wrong with this team?

The Rockies are basically a .500 team at home. The series was a tossup. If this had happened at the Big A you get pissed about it

11 hours ago, Trendon said:

Thanks for the insight.

By the way, I finally watched what you guys are talking about. 

Erica asked that. I give Erica tons of credit for asking tougher, and more insightful, questions than most TV people, but a person is her job is never going to really “grill” a manager or player on something they don’t want to answer. They essentially (although not directly) work for the team. 

That is exactly the type of situation for what I was talking about. After the camera stops, Nevin explains. 

Whether that explanation gets reported depends what it was and which reporter got the answer. 

2 hours ago, arch stanton said:

The Rockies are basically a .500 team at home. The series was a tossup. If this had happened at the Big A you get pissed about it

It wasn’t that as much as letting a 9.40 home ERA pitcher shut them out the first 5 innings.

The past two games are this offense in a nutshell the past 8 games after the Texas series.  Inconsistent 

14 hours ago, Trendon said:

Nevin was clearly frustrated, which makes me wonder even more why he didn’t use Moustakas.

The fact that he gave no explanation makes me think either:

a. He wasn’t allowed to, for some reason.

b. He realized he made a mistake but didn’t want to admit it.

I don't recall the last time an Angels manager, or any manager for that matter, admitted post game that he made a mistake. 

3 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

By the way, I finally watched what you guys are talking about. 

Erica asked that. I give Erica tons of credit for asking tougher, and more insightful, questions than most TV people, but a person is her job is never going to really “grill” a manager or player on something they don’t want to answer. They essentially (although not directly) work for the team. 

That is exactly the type of situation for what I was talking about. After the camera stops, Nevin explains. 

Whether that explanation gets reported depends what it was and which reporter got the answer. 

Is that something where a reporter could revisit it a day or two later off the record? Or does everyone just move on?

I (wrongly) got into the weeds with this on Twitter yesterday. After your posts here, I now understand that Erica approached the situation in the best way possible in order to try for the fans to get insight. Unfortunately, since no one else followed up with Nevin off the record and worked it into their story, we got no insight.

2 minutes ago, Trendon said:

Is that something where a reporter could revisit it a day or two later off the record? Or does everyone just move on?

I (wrongly) got into the weeds with this on Twitter yesterday. After your posts here, I know understand that Erica approached the situation most properly in order to try for the fans to get insight. Unfortunately, since no one else followed up with Nevin off the record and worked it into their story, we got no insight.

I will definitely see if I can find out today what was going on. 

50 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

I don't recall the last time an Angels manager, or any manager for that matter, admitted post game that he made a mistake. 

Nevin has on a few occasions said he thought about doing something he ultimately didn’t do, and that the other choice might have been better. The last one I remember was in Baltimore when he said he was thinking of walking Santander, who hit a 3-run HR.