• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Need to trade for a SP

17 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Before anyone suggests it, Trevor Bauer is pitching like Pitch-Tipping Jaime Barria in Japan.

Barria wasn't pitch tipping , it was Saurez. 

6 minutes ago, Slegnaac said:

Are you suggesting a Bauer for Barria exchange?

Fuck and no. Barria is pitching to a 2.21 ERA in long relief.

They can have Loup.

And keep Bauer.

1 hour ago, VladdyforHOF said:

This bullpen is getting taxed on a near nightly basis because starting pitching is a huge issue. Replace Canning/Silseth with a good starter that will pitch deeper into games. Only chance for this team to contend is by fixing the rotation.

You’d think something could get done given it’s such a big year.  It would be expensive- would you be willing to give up one of Canning/Silseth as part of a hefty package?  I think they’ll try Silseth for a while and see if he can improve because of his upside.  I’m not sure how long they stick with Silseth in that role but I would guess three starts at least.

54 minutes ago, happybat4 said:

Why doesn't Barria start? He has a good track record. He has the 2nd highest pitching WAR for the Angels since he debuted. 

Because he is really good at what he does but not so good starting. He has his niche and can pitch for ten more years in that niche but if he converts to a starter he may pitch himself out of a job.

As is he has no options left, so they have to keep him on the roster. If he fails as a starter it may carry over to returning him to the long relief role. Why break such a good situational pitcher when what the Angels need is him in a long relief role. 

Just find a starter and leave Barria making the bullpen that much better. 

16 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Because he is really good at what he does but not so good starting. He has his niche and can pitch for ten more years in that niche but if he converts to a starter he may pitch himself out of a job.

As is he has no options left, so they have to keep him on the roster. If he fails as a starter it may carry over to returning him to the long relief role. Why break such a good situational pitcher when what the Angels need is him in a long relief role. 

Just find a starter and leave Barria making the bullpen that much better. 

His career ERA as a starter is 4.03, it's 3.93 as a reliever. He seems pretty even regardless of what he does.

3 hours ago, happybat4 said:

His career ERA as a starter is 4.03, it's 3.93 as a reliever. He seems pretty even regardless of what he does.

His last season and this his ERA is below 2.40 era. He has found his best efficiency at long relief. It is an invaluable role, being able to put a pitcher in to slam the door on other teams that were having success early in the game forcing the starter out. It saves the bullpen from using multiple pitcher to cover 2-3 innings and each pitching change can produce varied results simply because of pitcher volitility.

Move Barria out of long relief and you don't have Barria to cover his own innings should he not be able to pitch extended innings, having not really done that in a couple seasons. 

So, yeah, I disagree that putting Barria in a starting role is a good idea. He isn't stretched out for it, he hasn't a history of success equal to what he brings in his current role.

Get a damn starter if you need a starter. 

1 hour ago, Angels 1961 said:

Need to go to a 5-man rotation.

'61 speaking truth here like that guy in the horror movie who sits alone in the corner mumbling stuff...the main cast members ignore and laugh at him, but in the end they all shoulda listened to the guy they thought was crazy...

1 hour ago, Angels 1961 said:

5-man rotation

Also, I look forward to all the articles written in 2024 about the team who signs Ohtani that are along the lines of:

<Insert team name here> thought they would dominate after signing Ohtani, but rotation and bullpen woes have <team name> struggling much more than expected.

To go along with news stories like this in 2024:

Despite losing Ohtani to free agency, Angels overall pitching strength is the surprise of the 2024 season so far.

7 hours ago, Lazorko Saves said:

Also, I look forward to all the articles written in 2024 about the team who signs Ohtani that are along the lines of:

<Insert team name4 here> thought they would dominate after signing Ohtani, but rotation and bullpen woes have <team name> struggling much more than expected.

Despite losing Ohtani to free agency, Angels overall pitching strength is the surprise of the 2024 season so far.

With young pitching they got in Ohtani trade at deadline. Angels 5 man rotation in 2024

3 hours ago, Halo in Chicago said:

I had hoped Anderson was going to be a solid #3 and I had assumed Detmers had figured it out in the second half last year. Right now only Sandy is meeting the expectations for starters w Ohtani falling in love w the sweeper. 

Angels need to use brooms to sweep a series.

8 hours ago, Lazorko Saves said:

<Insert team name here> thought they would dominate after signing Ohtani, but rotation and bullpen woes have <team name> struggling much more than expected.

Halos in playoffs in 2024 with Moniak starting in OF

I feel like the rotation has turned a corner of late. Anderson has put together a few solid starts of late. Detmers has looked dominated at times and his Fip and Xfip suggest he's better than what the ERA is. Looking at his games logs, he's had 2 bad starts that have screwed his Era but overall has been solid. Canning been hurt by some bad luck of late but need to get over that mental block, I would say that start against St. Louis he was unlucky do to renfore misplacing a  ball, but the houstan start was disastrous! 

overall we do need another started; my top choices at the moment are Giolito, Lynn or Cobb.

At this point we just need to give the guys time to get it together, there's too much failure going on from the pitching side.  Even a decent mid rotation acquisition isn't going to change much for us.

To put it into perspective, only 25 (qualified) starting pitchers were worth over 3 WAR in 2022 (there's also a handful of guys like Scherzer, Sandoval, etc. over 3 WAR with less than qualified innings).  You might expect a mid-rotation guy to give you 1.5-2.0 WAR over a season, and we're already approaching the 50 game mark.  So even if we grab someone to replace whoever (Canning/Silseth/etc.), we'd be lucky if they added another win or two to a barely .500 team.  

We're better off just hoping these guys round into form, and if not trade Ohtani and get some pieces back for the future.