• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

How Joe Maddon Impacted Ohtani

Jason Stark interviewed Joe Maddon on his podcast. The most important parts for Angels fans are how he impacted Ohtani (he let him loose) and why Arte didn't sell (he liked what Perry was adding to the team).  He thinks Ohtani has to enter free agency and will be willing to pitch anywhere.

https://theathletic.com/podcast/243-the-athletic-baseball-show/?episode=447https://theathletic.com/podcast/243-the-athletic-baseball-show/?episode=447

He's playing a lot of golf and no one is contacting him about managing except Japanese teams.

Edited by TroutBaseball

1 minute ago, TroutBaseball said:

The most important parts for Angels fans are how he impacted Ohtani (he let him loose)

I wouldn’t say Maddon let Ohtani loose.

Perry also wanted to let Ohtani dictate his own usage. Which Maddon himself said in that interview.

If Perry didn’t want to do that, it wasn’t gonna happen.

3 minutes ago, cals said:

No but after that and before the losing streak. What was their record?

...and on every other Tuesday, games while wearing their alternate jerseys, and in home games that they won.  Sure, they had a good record for a short stretch at the beginning of last year.  But he didn't do anything to stabilize things once they started losing and, by several accounts, the players didn't care for him.  I'm about 99% certain that your bizarre affection for him is some sort of bit, since that seems like something you'd do: but he was awful and it's pretty clear from the lack of offers he's getting that pretty much everybody else thinks that, too.

3 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

...and on every other Tuesday, games while wearing their alternate jerseys, and in home games that they won.  Sure, they had a good record for a short stretch at the beginning of last year.  But he didn't do anything to stabilize things once they started losing and, by several accounts, the players didn't care for him.  I'm about 99% certain that your bizarre affection for him is some sort of bit, since that seems like something you'd do: but he was awful and it's pretty clear from the lack of offers he's getting that pretty much everybody else thinks that, too.

You are selectively choosing only to look at bad periods and not the good period.

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

I mean he intentionally walked a guy with the bases loaded to motivate his players.  For a guy that’s supposed to be a master motivator and a master communicator, I found that to be funny. Oh and then we had some say, “it worked because they won”. 

They did win.

Joe reminds me of that line in Bull Durham about shower shoes - "If you win 20 in the show, you can let the fungus grow back and the press'll think you're colorful.   Until you win 20 in the show, however, it means you're a slob."

When his teams were winning, he was a colorful genius.

When not, he was a senile weirdo living in his van down by the river.

Unemployed, he's a bitter, senile weirdo, living in his van down by the river, shouting "Notice me!" at passers-by.

4 hours ago, Halo in Chicago said:

Maddon sounds like a bitter dick who is trying to sound relevant to me, but I admittedly have not liked him for a long time.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/latest-mets-target-shohei-ohtani-231512028.html

I'm probably just reading too much into some of the comments there. But reading Ohtani's agent saying he's always been open to signing an extension with the Angels...

Not sure how true that is. But if so? We're beyond stupid for not trying to lock him up 2 years ago.

I know 2020 was ugly, and he was hurt the first two years..

.. but you have to assume theu scouted him enough, and saw enough before TJ, to say "this guy can hit. And he can pitch, too"

It would have still been a gamble, but they should have gambled it back before he blew up in 2021. 

Once he did, they should have made that the priority that offseason.

But here we are.

20 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

Going back even farther, he very nearly blew the Cubs' first world championship in 108 years by misusing Aroldis Chapman. Chapman was so angry about the incident that he couldn't wait to sign with the Yankees again once the season ended.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

46 minutes ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

Going back even farther, he very nearly blew the Cubs' first world championship in 108 years by misusing Aroldis Chapman. Chapman was so angry about the incident that he couldn't wait to sign with the Yankees again once the season ended.

He just wanted to be a Yankee.  He was traded from there and was a Cub for all of 2 months.  Plus, the Yanks wanted him after he choked and almost shot his girlfriend, so hey, he was loyal to them.

26 minutes ago, cals said:

He just wanted to be a Yankee.  He was traded from there and was a Cub for all of 2 months.  Plus, the Yanks wanted him after he choked and almost shot his girlfriend, so hey, he was loyal to them.

The narrative at the time was that he couldn't wait to get out pf Chicago because of how he was used.