• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Logan O'Hoppe out 4-6 months with torn labrum

mmc

1 minute ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Hard for me to believe this team thought Stassi / Thaiss was a reasonable catching combo. Sure it’s possible, but definitely the most short sighted move this off season. Much more likely is they were very confident in O’Hoppe’s ability to perform from day one.

Not sure it is an either/or situation.....they may have wanted a good look at O'Hoppe in spring training before they made any decisions...If, as some reports indicated, they at least kicked the tires on Contreras this past winter, you would have to think they weren't entirely ready to commit fully to O'Hoppe....just not sure...

21 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Not sure it is an either/or situation.....they may have wanted a good look at O'Hoppe in spring training before they made any decisions...If, as some reports indicated, they at least kicked the tires on Contreras this past winter, you would have to think they weren't entirely ready to commit fully to O'Hoppe....just not sure...

Forgot about that. That would have been a nice add 

1 minute ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Forgot about that. That would have been a nice add 

Hard to know how much truth was in the report....may have been an agent puffing up his client....but it seemed a little odd at the time, given Stassi and O'Hoppe on the roster....but the Braves trading for Murphy with d'arnaud on the roster seemed a little odd too.....

10 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

How much should we be worried about Ohoppe long term? It's a fairly simple procedure, but it's his shoulder, on his bottom hand. Anyone know any similar players who had the same injury? @Inside Pitch mentioned Tatis. Was that actually torn, or just dislocated?

Hard to say, we don't really know what all is involved or how severe.  Both Bellinger and Tatis actually suffered dislocations where the shoulder had to be put back into place and suffered tears.  Like I said, I'm not a Dr., and I haven't seen it reported that O'Hoppe suffered an actual dislocation, I was taking a guess based on the swing and reaction.  

As far as how worried we should be, I don't think anyone can really answer that.  Shoulders are still a bit of a crap shoot.  Guys have pitched with torn labrums, some guys have had frayed labrums and never come back.  Our boy Ervin Santana had a tear very early in his career and still managed to become a total workhorse.

2 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Hard to say, we don't really know what all is involved or how severe.  Both Bellinger and Tatis actually suffered dislocations where the shoulder had to be put back into place and suffered tears.  Like I said, I'm not a Dr., and I haven't seen it reported that O'Hoppe suffered an actual dislocation, I was taking a guess based on the swing and reaction.  

As far as how worried we should be, I don't think anyone can really answer that.  Shoulders are still a bit of a crap shoot.  Guys have pitched with torn labrums, some guys have had frayed labrums and never come back.  Our boy Ervin Santana had a tear very early in his career and still managed to become a total workhorse.

Good news is the injury is in the nonthrowing hand. 

20 hours ago, Blarg said:

FFS that tweet had a sensitivity trigger warning. What is fucking wrong with people that they think that message needed a warning?

They know how easily triggered Angels fans are when it comes to bad news regarding the team 

46 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Thaiss has a .379 OBP and OPS over .800, and Wallach has clubbed a couple homers already.

Against lesser teams, and no comparison defensively, but those two have at least made losing O’Hoppe’s offense a little more bearable so far.

It's a double edged sword with O'Hoppe since his defense and offense are both very good. We are getting some offense out of Thaiss but he is a step below defensively. Wallach has some defensive abilities but historically he hits like Mathis. 

It's going to be a long 4+ months waiting for him to have a rehab start in AAA and in the meantime Stassi should have returned. That would probably mean O'Hoppe stays in AAA until rosters expand, but, I think there is a greater chance that he doesn't return to the lineup this season.