• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Perspective

Highly amusing.   Stradling (for once) has a good take and then gets flamed by the debbie downers of the board.  

Seriously think some guys (blarg, Taylor, ACE of diamonds et. al) follow the team just to wine, and predict failure.   These posters are always more active after a loss.  Sad.

Baseball is unpredictable and I like it that way.  That's my perspective.  I'm also optimistic about the season, but I'm not going to live and die with every game.  Losses happen. Winning is hard. Winning it all is extremely hard.  Like I said... baseball is unpredictable. 

3 minutes ago, Swordsman78 said:

Highly amusing.   Stradling (for once) has a good take and then gets flamed by the debbie downers of the board.  

Seriously think some guys (blarg, Taylor, ACE of diamonds et. al) follow the team just to wine, and predict failure.   These posters are always more active after a loss.  Sad.

Just so we’re clear I’m an optimist, I just think you are a loon. 

18 minutes ago, Swordsman78 said:

14 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Just so we’re clear I’m an optimist, I just think you are a loon. 

WTF...Stradling is the biggest irrational optimist on this board!

Just a Lil jest Strad...All good.

35 minutes ago, Swordsman78 said:

Wait, did I just get redacted?

4 hours ago, TroutField said:

Give up 1 in the 9th and 2 in the 10th to lose the game. 

Pretty typical angels box score for the past 10 years now. 
fuck this 

The A's scored 3 runs in the 10th. It was the Angels that scored 2. 

Dunno what all has been said in this thread but for all the gushing about Urshela, his offense has basically been what good David Fletcher provided.  He's sporting an OPS+ of 84, Fletcher's career OPS+ was 86.  It's mostly been batting average driven, very little power and lackluster OBP.  

Obviously his track record is better, but he's not been the massive upgrade people seemingly want to make him out to be.  Glad he's here as a support player regardless.

Nearing the end of April, and we currently have same number of wins as the Astros, Mets, and Yankees, and the league leaders in the AL West, AL Central, and NL West. 

If they can get through these next 6-7 series against good teams, without much time off, and maintain at least around .500, they’re not in bad shape.

Edited by totdprods

Just now, TroutField said:

Dodgers are at .500 with back to back losses to the pirates. 

More wins than the Dodgers, Padres, Mariners, Guardians, and Phillies, all playoff teams last year.

Our sky-high expectations are certainly playing a factor. This team definitely I not as bad as they have felt. Doesn’t quite mean they’re all that good yet. But definitely not as bad as it’s felt.

10 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Dunno what all has been said in this thread but for all the gushing about Urshela, his offense has basically been what good David Fletcher provided.  He's sporting an OPS+ of 84, Fletcher's career OPS+ was 86.  It's mostly been batting average driven, very little power and lackluster OBP.  

Obviously his track record is better, but he's not been the massive upgrade people seemingly want to make him out to be.  Glad he's here as a support player regardless.

I’ll take my chances he will revert to his mean, which is a much better hitter than what Fletcher has shown in a while.  As a super utility (3B, SS, 2B, 1B) hes already pretty valuable.  

20 minutes ago, Pheenom07 said:

I’ll take my chances he will revert to his mean, which is a much better hitter than what Fletcher has shown in a while.  As a super utility (3B, SS, 2B, 1B) hes already pretty valuable.  

Sure, he's always been better, nobody would be so dumb as to argue that.. 

The point is that people have been acting like he's been this massive upgrade -- he really hasn't been, he's been David Fletcher.  More importantly, if you look at his predictive data he's lucky to have hit as well as he has.

I'm hoping it's just an early season blip, maybe the weather and adjusting to the park whatever, but the reality is he's pretty much been the good version of Fletch.

image.png

Those are basically career lows across the board.  

Meanwhile Anthony Rendon is sporting a career high average exit velocity despite a career worst barrel % and has very little to show for it.  Hes well under his typical launch angle numbers so, there's reason to believe he will improve.

image.png

We also haven’t had good David Fletcher for a couple seasons though…he has been a pretty good improvement over bad David Fletcher and the misc infielder riff-raff of late, even if he’s just a singles hitter. If he hits .280 just ahead of Ward, Ohtani, Trout he doesn’t need power or a super high OBP, he’ll score plenty still. Helps keep innings going and keeps runners ahead of him moving too.

32 minutes ago, totdprods said:

We also haven’t had good David Fletcher for a couple seasons though…he has been a pretty good improvement over bad David Fletcher and the misc infielder riff-raff of late, even if he’s just a singles hitter. If he hits .280 just ahead of Ward, Ohtani, Trout he doesn’t need power or a super high OBP, he’ll score plenty still. Helps keep innings going and keeps runners ahead of him moving too.

JFC...  it must be my piss poor writing or something because I'm clearly not be making myself clear.   

The point isn't to compare him to Fletcher, the point is that he's been a David Fletcher clone -- That's it, that was the reason I referenced Fletcher because he's provided that sort of offensive output..   He's been better than what we have, no question -- tall pygmies are cool and all that, but we aren't talking about difference maker sort of production.  I've already said there is reason to hope it's a blip but his performance to date has actually been better than what his expected average and slg% grade out to.

The argument that he simply needs to be decent and not a star could be made about pretty much anyone at all times -- in fact it's been the running storyline for the Trout years -- simply surround him with non black holes..  But again, people were acting like he was doing more than simply being a non black hole..  He's been meh.