• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Perspective

I have seen a ton of posts/tweets and such saying that if we were a playoff team we should be sweeping teams like Oakland or the Royals.  I just think that line of thinking is unrealistic even for playoff teams.  Hell the Royals only have 5 wins, but they’ve beat both Texas, who is leading the division (for now) and Toronto, who I think will be one of the favorites to win it all.  The old adage is every team wins 60, loses 60 and it is what you do with the other 42 that really matters.  So with the season being about 26 weeks long, even the worst teams average more than 2 wins a week over the course of a year.  So expecting a sweep is just setting yourself up to be upset.  

You ever look at a betting line for baseball?  It’s not like their are lines saying the Rays should beat their opponent by 4 runs.  It’s always a tighter line than that.  Which is why it is infuriating to lose games like last night, when you have the lead with 3 outs to go.  You have to execute and we haven’t been.  In my mind we will start executing, while in other people’s minds they will never consistently execute because they haven’t been for years.  I tend to look at things inside of individual seasons, while others will look at trends from previous seasons.  As we saw last year, it can all change in an instant, where you can go from having the best record in the league, to losing 14 straight.  

We have 5 more games against some lesser talented opponents, lets see if they can get some wins to finish out this homestand.

Logically you make sense.  However, a 2 run lead with with 3 outs to go should be close to an automatic.  Yes, you can have a bad day and get blown out even by the worst team in the game.  But Championship teams with a 2 run lead, don't give up 5 runs in the top of the 9th.  Not sure of a team that won a World Series using a Closer by Committee.  I think Perry needs to go find a Closer.  I don't believe there is one in the Angels Organization this year.  

Just now, Taylor said:

The older you get, the more you care about context. And it's impossible to not look at this season through the lens of the context of the last 9 years.

It’s not impossible. You just have to look at how we have a different set of players and a different GM and a different manager and it is pretty easy to look at each season individually.  But I applaud you for bringing that shit to this thread, well done.

4 minutes ago, Stradling said:

It’s not impossible. You just have to look at how we have a different set of players and a different GM and a different manager and it is pretty easy to look at each season individually.  But I applaud you for bringing that shit to this thread, well done.

And with the same results, so far. Poor bullpen, starting pitching not pitching deep into games, and the role players not producing. You can’t only get production from Trout, Ohtani, and Renfroe and expect to make the playoffs in this stacked AL west and wild card battle. 

54 minutes ago, Stradling said:

In my mind we will start executing, while in other people’s minds they will never consistently execute because they haven’t been for years.

It’s going to be entertaining and dramatic.  I think the team is better on paper than in several years, but it is indeed about execution.  What was the Vegas line on wins for the Angels at the beginning of the season?  Mine was 90 wins and I admit I’m a homer so there are a few extra in there.  While 10-11 is not optimal, we can definitely get to 90 wins from here.

If you don't look at previous seasons, then on what are you basing your feeling that the team will start executing better, since that hasn't happened this year so far? You can't have it both ways. 

In my opinion, situational hitting and the bullpen are the biggest issues now and moving forward. While the overall numbers for the 'pen are pretty good, they're blowing things when it matters most. 

4 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

If you don't look at previous seasons, then on what are you basing your feeling that the team will start executing better, since that hasn't happened this year so far? You can't have it both ways. 

In my opinion, situational hitting and the bullpen are the biggest issues now and moving forward. While the overall numbers for the 'pen are pretty good, they're blowing things when it matters most. 

Based on having a deeper line up filled with actual major leaguers. Also having quality arms at the minor league level in case the guys on the team don’t start executing. 

3 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Exactly. When you look at the bullpen in it’s current makeup, which arms do you think have the upside needed for a championship caliber team? I believe they will pitch better than what we’ve seen but I don’t think it will be by much 

Just now, Jason said:

Exactly. When you look at the bullpen in it’s current makeup, which arms do you think have the upside needed for a championship caliber team? I believe they will pitch better than what we’ve seen but I don’t think it will be by much 

It’s about being in contention for a playoff spot at the deadline and then adding to it with arms that are performing this year. 

22 minutes ago, Stradling said:

It’s about being in contention for a playoff spot at the deadline and then adding to it with arms that are performing this year. 

Yes and I am concerned that what they currently have will not be able to put them in that spot by the deadline. It’s still pretty early so I guess we will have to wait and see 

On 4/23/2023 at 9:28 AM, Fregosi said:

Logically you make sense.  However, a 2 run lead with with 3 outs to go should be close to an automatic.  Yes, you can have a bad day and get blown out even by the worst team in the game.  But Championship teams with a 2 run lead, don't give up 5 runs in the top of the 9th.  Not sure of a team that won a World Series using a Closer by Committee.  I think Perry needs to go find a Closer.  I don't believe there is one in the Angels Organization this year.  

Yes they do, yes they have. 

i hate these type of comments.  Championship teams have bad  over 162 games, championships teams will have bad games.  However, their meltdowns  are an anomaly.  The concern I have for the Angels is that these meltdowns are common and happens with different players.  

Championship teams do not make these meltdowns a consistent occurance.

Edited by stormngt