• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Link to full transcript of Arte Moreno's meeting with reporters

15 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Yep.  He's a monster.  A child-like, attention-seeking MONSTER, I tell you.

Can't wait for the inevitable commentary from folks about how certain questions should have been phrased...

He’s still a twat. But it’s ok you defend him. 

My favorite part of reading online articles is often the comments from dipshits like us....  So after all the noise about Arte not doing interviews he finally does one and then someone drops this nugget in the responses..

"How come John Carpino never gives interviews?"

If that's not funny then I don't know what is.

Moreno: We built better depth with this team. And you can see, in Double A we won last year. And at Inland Empire, we won last year. So we really feel, and then we continue to sign — there’s a level of guys that were going to be released. We’ve given basically an unlimited budget to try and build our minor-league system. So those guys get cut, and we try to sign minor-league deals with them. Continue to build the depth.

Does anyone understand what he’s trying to say here? Specifically the bolded parts.

What does “a level of guys that were going to be released” mean? Is he talking about guys the Angels were gonna release? Did he mean to say “are” instead of “were?”

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

My favorite part of reading online articles is often the comments from dipshits like us....  So after all the noise about Arte not doing interviews he finally does one and then someone drops this nugget in the responses..

"How come John Carpino never gives interviews?"

If that's not funny then I don't know what is.

Before Arte finally spoke, I wondered why he didn’t just send Carpino out to answer questions about the business side. Or why reporters like Blum didn’t ask to speak with Carpino.

9 minutes ago, Trendon said:

Before Arte finally spoke, I wondered why he didn’t just send Carpino out to answer questions about the business side. Or why reporters like Blum didn’t ask to speak with Carpino.

I could be wrong, but I think I remember Blum (or maybe another reporter?) saying that requests to interview Carpino were also declined.  I can't find it right now, but I'm pretty sure I read it at some point.

14 minutes ago, Trendon said:

Moreno: We built better depth with this team. And you can see, in Double A we won last year. And at Inland Empire, we won last year. So we really feel, and then we continue to sign — there’s a level of guys that were going to be released. We’ve given basically an unlimited budget to try and build our minor-league system. So those guys get cut, and we try to sign minor-league deals with them. Continue to build the depth.

Does anyone understand what he’s trying to say here? Specifically the bolded parts.

What does “a level of guys that were going to be released” mean? Is he talking about guys the Angels were gonna release? Did he mean to say “are” instead of “were?”

I think what he's talking about is major league guys from other teams who get released, making them free agents, and then the Angels sign them.  If that's not what he means, I have no idea.

Nice question but it’s classified information, Arte ignores the question adroitly.
Fletcher: Is there a percentage where you can say you’re spending a certain percent more on player development?

I look at it like this. We’re not even in the same hemisphere. We’re talking about when I bought the team there was a $60 million payroll. And now we’re talking about — most of you guys don’t put in the insurance. There’s $16 million of insurance. So anything that we do, we have to add $16 million. We’re in that $222 (million) range. We’re about $222 (million).

12 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I think what he's talking about is major league guys from other teams who get released, making them free agents, and then the Angels sign them.  If that's not what he means, I have no idea.

Perhaps.

It’s just confusing because he said they “were going to be released” and then said “those guys get cut.”

In a lot of his answers, he’s jumping all over the place.

Just now, Trendon said:

Perhaps.

It’s just confusing because he said they “were going to be released” and then said “those guys get cut.”

3 minutes ago, Revad said:

Nice question but it’s classified information, Arte ignores the question adroitly.
Fletcher: Is there a percentage where you can say you’re spending a certain percent more on player development?

I look at it like this. We’re not even in the same hemisphere. We’re talking about when I bought the team there was a $60 million payroll. And now we’re talking about — most of you guys don’t put in the insurance. There’s $16 million of insurance. So anything that we do, we have to add $16 million. We’re in that $222 (million) range. We’re about $222 (million).

Yeah, I agree, Trendon--and think this quote that Revad pulled is a good example of what you're talking about.  His answer seems to be to a completely different question than what was asked.

47 minutes ago, Trendon said:

Pretty sure he's talking about the minor league churn -- guys coming and going from year to year many simply being replaced by the new wave of draftees. There is probably more minor league churn now than at any point in the last decade given there are fewer spots available and more minor league FAs.

7 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Pretty sure he's talking about the minor league churn -- guys coming and going from year to year many simply being replaced by the new wave of draftees. There is probably more minor league churn now than at any point in the last decade given there are fewer spots available and more minor league FAs.

So is he saying the Angels are the ones releasing players or that they’re the ones picking up released players?

14 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

I could be wrong, but I think I remember Blum (or maybe another reporter?) saying that requests to interview Carpino were also declined.  I can't find it right now, but I'm pretty sure I read it at some point.

Carpino used to be more accessible. I have talked to him in the past. But lately he just referred questions to other people.

14 hours ago, Trendon said:

This is why “interviewing Arte” is not the pot of the gold at the end of the rainbow that some people hoped for. He’s still not going to tell you anything he doesn’t want to tell you. He’s still not going to accept any premise he doesn’t want to accept. He’s still going to give you his spin on everything. 

I really doubt that today fans feel any sort of victory or Arte feels that he’s been “held accountable.”

It was a story. It was nice. It’s over. 

2 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I really doubt that today fans feel any sort of victory or Arte feels that he’s been “held accountable.”

I can’t speak for other fans, but I wasn’t expecting a “victory” or “accountability” if/when Arte finally spoke to local reporters.

I just wanted local reporters to have the opportunity to speak with him and ask him about more specific questions that are important to Angels fans but ones that national reporters care less about.

Obviously, he didn’t reveal a ton. But I thought some of his answers gave more insight into how he operates the team.

3 minutes ago, Trendon said:

I can’t speak for other fans, but I wasn’t expecting a “victory” or “accountability” if/when Arte finally spoke to local reporters.

I just wanted local reporters to have the opportunity to speak with him and ask him about more specific questions that are important to Angels fans but ones that national reporters care less about.

Obviously, he didn’t reveal a ton. But I thought some of his answers gave more insight into how he operates the team.

I agree.