• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels projected starting pitchers? 4 lefties?

dhack

36 minutes ago, TempeAngel said:

It think so.

I can't think of another staff that had four LHP's in the opening day starting rotation. I'm sure there are examples out there but it must be pretty rare.

There probably aren’t many, if any, examples because most teams don’t use a 6-man rotation.

10 minutes ago, Trendon said:

There probably aren’t many, if any, examples because most teams don’t use a 6-man rotation.

They are starting four LHP's of their five. The sixth starter will be a swingman/hybrid used only when they don't have a scheduled day off. 

And hypothetically, if all 30 teams had a six man rotation there would be a greater chance that four of them could be LHP's.

52 minutes ago, TempeAngel said:

It think so.

I can't think of another staff that had four LHP's in the opening day starting rotation. I'm sure there are examples out there but it must be pretty rare.

I just looked it up, and it was a team who had a six-man rotation: the 2021 Mariners.

Marco Gonzales, Justus Sheffield, Yusei Kikuchi, and James Paxton.

Paxton only made 1 start, but those 4 were all in their rotation on Opening Day.

9 minutes ago, TempeAngel said:

And hypothetically, if all 30 teams had a six man rotation there would be a greater chance that four of them could be LHP's.

Yeah, that’s what I’m saying when I said there are less examples because most teams don’t have a six-man rotation.

Edited by Trendon

1 minute ago, Trendon said:

Yeah, that’s what I’m saying when I said there are less examples because most teams don’t have a six-man rotation.

Right, I got that but the Angels won't really have a six man rotation. Their plan is to add a spot starter when they don't have a day off. It could even end up being Barria in a hybrid role.

They have five starters locked in, barring injury, and four of them are LHP's.

**additional motivation for my original post was to support @dhack (could be a hack account) who was making his first post.

3 hours ago, TempeAngel said:

Right, I got that but the Angels won't really have a six man rotation. Their plan is to add a spot starter when they don't have a day off. It could even end up being Barria in a hybrid role.

They have five starters locked in, barring injury, and four of them are LHP's.

**additional motivation for my original post was to support @dhack (could be a hack account) who was making his first post.

Thanks for the reply Tempe and yes this was my first post here.   And DHack is just an abbreviation of my real name I can assure you I'm no Hack.  : )

Usually, the reason why you wish to have a balanced rotation Righty/Lefty is based on a different look. 

Most Lefties have the same mechanics/release point, and or repertoire of pitches.  Some righties drop their release point even a little below 3/4's arm slot. Lefties do as well at times not normally on a consistent basis. 

Most lefty Starting pitchers either come over the top to a 3/4's delivery you rarely see many side arm or submarine deliveries in the rotation (either side). Once in a while they may throw one out there as a change in view the Lefty Dude Cortes from the Yankees does this. But, it's a deception mechanic/release point during an at bat. Many side-armers/submariners don't throw very hard compared to todays VELO 89-91-92 compared to 93-95-97. 

Normally, you don't want the same look so you spread them out. As a hitter you can plan on seeing the same repertoire/release point 3 days in a row. So, that's a bit easier now you only have to sit on that individual pitchers strike out pitch and protect vs that (good for video, % of Pitch Analytics and following during the game).  It cuts the mental side of the game down. 

15 hours ago, Trendon said:

I just looked it up, and it was a team who had a six-man rotation: the 2021 Mariners.

Marco Gonzales, Justus Sheffield, Yusei Kikuchi, and James Paxton.

Paxton only made 1 start, but those 4 were all in their rotation on Opening Day.

Each had a different Mechanics, Repertoire and Release Point.