• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jared Walsh injury update

Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere, but I didn't see it:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/02/jared-walsh-provides-update-on-surgery-rehabilitation.html

“I feel great,” Walsh said. “I don’t know if I’m exactly 100% but I think if we– if Spring Training started today, I would be fine to go out, do every drill, be on the field, making throws and all that.” Walsh then relays that his surgeon has informed him that his strength will continue growing for the next 6-8 months and even beyond. “I feel great but hopefully I can get even a little bit better.”

I listened to Walsh's interview on MLB Network radio...

Talked about rehab process... It wasn't too bad.  Had great soft tissue work... getting the muscles firing the way they're supposed to.  It wasn't as bad or gruesome as you might think. Had an achy feeling down the arm, tingling in the fingers, neck was always tight.  He had rehabbed this in the past, but had to take the next step and have surgery.  It had been bothering him since after the 2020 season. 

He feels great.  Maybe not quite 100%, but if ST started today, he'd be fine to go out and do every drill, make throws and all that.  It's going to continue to get stronger at about 6-8 months.  Again... he feels great.  He feels his arm is good and he can do the things he needs to do.

He's excited about the new guys... blah, blah, blah...

They talked about the impact of the shift changes... nothing said of note...  Thinks BA will improve for all left handed hitters.

Talked about the pitch clock...  again.. nothing of note.

Talked about receiving the Roberto Clemente award.  Giving back to the community was something that was important to his parents.  His mom and dad are from Pittsburgh and huge Pirates fans... so it was cool to be nominated.  The Angels have helped him facilitate his philanthropy. It's an award he hopes to win every year for the rest of his career.  Very involved with children's hospitals and schools in So. Cal.

Living in Phoenix area now.

From the article above:  “Should Walsh miss any more time or struggle to get back on track, Drury would likely be first in line for extended time covering first base, with Jake Lamb also in the organization on a minor league deal. Though if Walsh is healthy, it would free Drury up to strengthen the club’s depth in the outfield corners or other infield positions.”

Urshela should be first at first I thought.  I haven’t looked into it but I just assumed Drury is a better corner OF and 2b but Urshela is better at 3rd and Perry thinks 1b is a fit.  Neither are SS but both might play there at times.  This article makes it sound like Jake Lamb is an option.

I suspect this is pretty typical for guys coming off of significant injuries and surgery. The key point is he's healthy enough to play now. Very few players are 100% through a season, we just rarely hear about it except for quotes like this that make people freak out. 

3 minutes ago, Revad said:

From the article above:  “Should Walsh miss any more time or struggle to get back on track, Drury would likely be first in line for extended time covering first base, with Jake Lamb also in the organization on a minor league deal. Though if Walsh is healthy, it would free Drury up to strengthen the club’s depth in the outfield corners or other infield positions.”

Urshela should be first at first I thought.  I haven’t looked into it but I just assumed Drury is a better corner OF and 2b but Urshela is better at 3rd and Perry thinks 1b is a fit.  Neither are SS but both might play there at times.  This article makes it sound like Jake Lamb is an option.

I wouldn't make too much of what they say. IIRC, Nevin said the other day that Urshela will play basically every day between 3B, 1B, and SS. What he and Minasian says weighs more than some other site's commentary. 

Personally, I think it'll just come down to who is healthy and performing well. Of the six infielders, all but Walsh can play 3B. Urshela probably won't play 2B, but Drury, Rengifo, and Fletcher will likely split time there in that order. 1B could be any of Walsh, Urshela, and Drury - again, in that order. Shortstop will be the interesting one. Fletcher is the best defensively and Urshela is probably the best hitter, but given Urshela's defensively flexibility, I'd only expect to see him at SS if Rendon and Walsh are both playing, and I'd only expect to see Rengifo at short if Urshela is playing corner infield. I doubt Drury plays shortstop much if ever. 

Well, range wise at shortstop. With the killing of the over-shift. Its kind of back to the old days, where you will need to have quick feet, quick cross over, and the ability to go after it glove side, and still run it deep in the hole where you need the arm strength. Rendon at 3rd base has plenty of range glove side and into the hole at shortstop as well. You can still lineup a few feet left (looking from home plate) from the 2nd base bag which will allow Rendon to come off the line as well. Which is better for him. His crossover backhand isn't as strong as his first step glove side.

9 hours ago, Revad said:

How’s this against lefties.

Ward LF

Trout CF

Ohtani DH

Rendon 3b

Drury 2b

Renfroe RF

Urshela 1b

Stassi C

Rengifo/Fletcher SS

I hope we sign Gary Sanchez or Logan O'Hoppe has a spectacular spring and gets the majority of playing time over Stassi this season. 

But yeah, Rengifo is a beast against LHP's. Move him up to 8th and the C spot 9th. That's a solid lineup! 

20 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

Walsh then relays that his surgeon has informed him that his strength will continue growing for the next 6-8 months and even beyond.

So 6-8 months from the surgery in September or 6-8 months from the taping of the interview? He could do drills but when will he be a regular in the lineup?

20 hours ago, TempeAngel said:

Uh-Oh,

Hence the Urshela signing...

Yeah, Thoracic Outlet Syndrome surgery results depend on a lot of things - there are different types of TOS, different surgeries, and varying success levels of improving symptoms.

And "success" is measured differently for a professional athlete than some random keyboard warrior.

I'm glad we have some backup, Urshela should help soften the blow if Walsh isn't able to come back, but our chances of being a playoff contender will be much better with a healthy Walsh.