• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Adellgate (Adell unhappy?)

Angelsjunky

50 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

What about ohtani or trout? I don’t recall them doing what you’ve just described. 

Trout and Ohtani are what happens when you take Adell's talent, add in the instincts that Adell is clearly lacking, combine it with maturity, humility, a joy for the game, competitiveness and work ethic, as well as fast adjustments. 

Adell mighty have one or two of those traits, but that's what separates the great ones from everyone else. There's a ton of guys that come through the minors as five tool athletes and the majority of them don't amount to much, despite all that athleticism. Heartbreaking as it is, where we stand right now, Adell is on pace to join that crowd. 

As a Padres fan, I can honestly say this.... There isn't a big difference between Tatis and Adell in terms of work ethic and maturity. It's a similar profile to Manny Machado when he first came up.

The big difference is, the others succeeded, so these things they say and do are tolerated, even celebrated at times because it's a joy of the game to an extent. Adell's are much less publicized. And where Machado didn't mind being the villain, and Tatis cares deeply about teammates but not so much fans, Adell seems to want the social acceptance. 

Personally I think Adell is a much better person than the Tatis’s and Machados of baseball.  He has never come across like a prick, even with the shimmy and strut.

Which is kind of worse because maybe he’s just not that good at baseball.  I mean, if what Fletch said is true, then he should be a better defender at this point.  Probably a MUCH better defender.  

Sometimes what a certain FO thinks should be done in terms of development just doesn't mesh all that well with the player.  Perry's had a little over two years to implement his way and up until early last year, he probably couldn't fully do that at the major league level when Joe was there right or wrong.  Perhaps Adell was sort of collateral to that in some ways.  

Drama aside, I'm looking forward to him spending time in the minors working on the right things (hopefully).  I like the approach they're taking with him this year.  They've actually taken the pressure back off of him.  He's not in a position where he's required to produce for a team with playoff aspirations.  

35 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

Sometimes what a certain FO thinks should be done in terms of development just doesn't mesh all that well with the player.  Perry's had a little over two years to implement his way and up until early last year, he probably couldn't fully do that at the major league level when Joe was there right or wrong.  Perhaps Adell was sort of collateral to that in some ways.  

Drama aside, I'm looking forward to him spending time in the minors working on the right things (hopefully).  I like the approach they're taking with him this year.  They've actually taken the pressure back off of him.  He's not in a position where he's required to produce for a team with playoff aspirations.  

Maybe.  Hopefully.  

I hope something clicks and he mashes at the plate and finally realizes that catching or retrieving the ball is the job of an outfielder.

Given the chance I think he becomes a decent major leaguer at this point.

8 hours ago, cals said:

Maybe.  Hopefully.  

I hope something clicks and he mashes at the plate and finally realizes that catching or retrieving the ball is the job of an outfielder.

Given the chance I think he becomes a decent major leaguer at this point.

I don't.  23/24 is really not that young for the skillset he is displaying.   As a fan, I think "Oh, no," every time a ball is hit in his direction.  As a fan, I think "meh", every time he is in the on- deck circle.  In a pressure situation, it reverts to "Oh, no!"  I'm seeing a fast-twitch athlete with poor hand-eye coordination.

10 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

Exactly. When I look at his performance, it's not as if he's dominated in AAA. That's a good spot for him to be in. If he performs, it's not as if long term solutions are blocking him, and if he doesn't, then we have our answer. 

But this posting an hour glass on IG... Just ridiculous. 

17 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

@Inside Pitch do you think Jo Adell can turn things around and become a solid major leaguer? 

I always thought highly of him, especially the way he conducts himself in interviews and he just seems like a well rounded person in general, aside from his immense talent. 

He's got the talent.  I don't think I've seen a player that's been as poorly developed as he has in my time as an Angels fan. 

All the talk about his outstanding work ethic is justified IMO.  He continues to work at improving his talents, almost religiously as we have seen him post workout videos, but we rarely (until now when Driveline posted that video), have seem him actually showing himself working on his skills as a baseball player.  I can't tell you how many times I've watched his videos and thought to myself, yeah dude, we know you're a freak athletically, but can you maybe work on catching pop ups?  It would be stupid for anyone to question his talent but after all this time you'd think we'd see an improvement in skills -- we just haven't.  Well, we did actually in 2021 then he was hurt and shut down for the season.

If you look back at his history as a prospect he's always basically tooled his way forward.  He's moved up and after an initial struggle adjusted and then raked -- the league never really got a chance to make adjustments themselves because he was moved up a level and repeated the process.  He never should have been up in 2020.  He likely should have been kept in AAA last year. 

I still think he could be successful but I do wonder if the situation hasn't been poisoned to some degree.  I really hope they keep him in AAA until he shows his game has improved.  Last year he suddenly couldnt hit FBs -- completely regressed from the year before.  I'm hoping the Driveline experience does what the Angels have failed to do.

1 hour ago, cals said:

If he does fail it’s on the scouts.  Maybe they should be focusing their attention on guys who are actually good at baseball regardless of height, weight, etc. rather than looking for guys who look like great athletes.

To be fair, it would have to be said that all the scouts missed the boat on him given how the praise was industry wide..  Maybe it's just semantics and there really isn't that big of a divide between the scouting and developing departments, but someone that had been named Player of the Year by USA Today and was ranked the number 2 prospect in MLB by BBA had to have had at least a solid base to build from.

I think they did a good job of finding someone who had the physical talent but they have failed miserably in translating those talents into MLB quality skills.  I'm with you in believing that anyone that had been actively working on his defense like it was said he was would have had it show up in games. That shit translates unless a guy just has no feel for the game and if that's the case, game over.

59 minutes ago, floplag said:

Hes had every chance to win the job outright and simply hasnt gotten it done.
This does not speak well to his maturity, he somehow fels he deserves something he has not earned. 
He had to know this would send a message, and it’s the wrong one.

You can’t deal with anyone saying you make stupid points on the internet.  I don’t think you’re the one to judge anyone’s maturity.  

2 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

I think they did a good job of finding someone who had the physical talent but they have failed miserably in translating those talents into MLB quality skills.  I'm with you in believing that anyone that had been actively working on his defense like it was said he was would have had it show up in games. That shit translates unless a guy just has no feel for the game and if that's the case, game over.

This has been a criticism of Adell, fair or not. I've seen it in enough areas to make me wonder--throwing to the wrong base, baserunning last year, playing the ball of the bounce or off the wall. "No" feel is harsh, but I don't know if his instincts are great.

When the Angels first called Adell up my stock in him as a future star dropped rapidly. Sure the tools are incredible, but the feel for the game is not there, and there is no excuse for that at his age. It's clear to me that he either doesn't have the foundational skills required to be a ball player or the organization has been incapable of bringing it it out of him.

What I have seen from him is a guy who is a hard worker, intensely driven, with a strong belief in himself - the dude wants it. These are not character flaws. These are attributes you want in a prospect, in fact many top prospects who fail seem to do so because they are lacking these attributes. 

Under Eppler the org preached process, foundational tools like exit velo, spin rate, etc. rather than outcomes. In that context Jo has done everything that has been asked of him. At some point the narrative around him for some people changed into him struggling due to some unmentionable character flaw. Ultimately if he fails it will be because of a lack of fundamental skills or the organization's inability to develop ball players, not some personality trait.

On 1/13/2023 at 12:31 PM, Jeff Fletcher said:

Adell was out there doing defensive drills every day in the second half. And a lot of time before that, too, but it was apparent more in the second half when it was religiously every day. Even on days when there was no BP and no one else on the team was doing anything on the field. And his defense did improve in the second half.

It really makes you wonder why he wasn’t doing that in 2020 and 2021. Or at least doing it in a more “obvious, easily observable, manner.”

I wonder how much blame deserves to go towards Maddon on that.

He was all talk and no action in regards to fundamentals. He wanted an old school game to be played, but then liked to have his guys show up later than normal for games, not do on-field work, and stuff like that.

Edited by Trendon