• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

9 minutes ago, BTH said:

Pitched in the majors in 2016, 2018, and 2019.  I have no recollection of him.  Pretty good K numbers, terrible BB numbers.  Was with the Reds' AAA team for part of '23, where he walked more than he K'ed, and had an 11.51 ERA and a 2.25 WHIP in 22 2/3 IP.  Lol.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/guerrta01.shtml

27 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Guerrero throws triple digits and has good shape on his off-speed pitches. If he learns how to spot the ball, he'd be elite. At his current developmental stage, he's basically Ben Joyce, minus 2 ticks. 

He turns 33 in January.  I think the days of "learning" and "development" are probably over for him, realistically speaking.

9 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

He turns 33 in January.  I think the days of "learning" and "development" are probably over for him, realistically speaking.

The developmental curve doesn't really apply to relievers much. They're so dynamic and unpredictable and given their short shelf life, there's really no age curve that applies. You can have a kid that comes in at 21 firing 100 mph that has a couple really solid years before trailing off, and equally, you can have a 35 year old soft tosser come in and get outs at a good rate for a year or two as well. 

The number of relievers that find sustained success in the majors for more than three consecutive years is few and far between. I think a perfect case study would be a guy like Cam Bedrosian. First round pick, MLB bloodlines, and at age 24 he has a 1.12 ERA in the majors across 45 appearances. He's one of the best relievers in baseball. By 29, he's washed up, but had some up and down years. 

Point is, for someone like Guerrero, the expectation really isn't any different at 33 than it is at 23. You hope for a couple years of productivity before they lose it. 

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

The developmental curve doesn't really apply to relievers much. They're so dynamic and unpredictable and given their short shelf life, there's really no age curve that applies. You can have a kid that comes in at 21 firing 100 mph that has a couple really solid years before trailing off, and equally, you can have a 35 year old soft tosser come in and get outs at a good rate for a year or two as well. 

The number of relievers that find sustained success in the majors for more than three consecutive years is few and far between. I think a perfect case study would be a guy like Cam Bedrosian. First round pick, MLB bloodlines, and at age 24 he has a 1.12 ERA in the majors across 45 appearances. He's one of the best relievers in baseball. By 29, he's washed up, but had some up and down years. 

Point is, for someone like Guerrero, the expectation really isn't any different at 33 than it is at 23. You hope for a couple years of productivity before they lose it. 

Can you think of a hard thrower who had a 14-season-long stretch of sustained mediocrity or worse in the minors and majors who then had a good 2-3 years in the majors?  I can't think of anyone off the top of my head.  Maybe a comp exists, but I'm having a hard time coming up with one.

Can you think of a hard thrower who had a 14-season-long stretch of sustained mediocrity or worse in the minors and majors who then had a good 2-3 years in the majors?  I can't think of anyone off the top of my head.  Maybe a comp exists, but I'm having a hard time coming up with one.

Brendan Donnelly comes to mind.

29 minutes ago, AngelStew43 said:

Can you think of a hard thrower who had a 14-season-long stretch of sustained mediocrity or worse in the minors and majors who then had a good 2-3 years in the majors?  I can't think of anyone off the top of my head.  Maybe a comp exists, but I'm having a hard time coming up with one.

Brendan Donnelly comes to mind.

Donnelly threw in the low 90s (think his splitter was his out pitch, right?), didn't have the control issues that Guerrero has had, and once he made the majors, he had immediate success at age 30.  Guerrero is 33 in January, has walked 6 guys per 9 IP in his minor league career, and has a 5.77 ERA in 106 innings in the majors (from 2016-2018).

1 hour ago, jsnpritchett said:

Can you think of a hard thrower who had a 14-season-long stretch of sustained mediocrity or worse in the minors and majors who then had a good 2-3 years in the majors?  I can't think of anyone off the top of my head.  Maybe a comp exists, but I'm having a hard time coming up with one.

I can definitely see where you're coming from there. Not sure of any. Maybe Jason Bulger comes the closest. JC Ramirez, Dane De La Rosa. All very imperfect comps. 

But it wouldn't surprise me with Guerrero. Over the last six months, he seems to have figured out how to hit the strike zone. That in itself won't be good enough, but he's better right now than he has been at any point in his career. 

On 12/19/2023 at 10:29 PM, Second Base said:

I can definitely see where you're coming from there. Not sure of any. Maybe Jason Bulger comes the closest. JC Ramirez, Dane De La Rosa. All very imperfect comps. 

But it wouldn't surprise me with Guerrero. Over the last six months, he seems to have figured out how to hit the strike zone. That in itself won't be good enough, but he's better right now than he has been at any point in his career. 

If nothing else, you hope for a couple of months where he's "On" because if he is, he's dominant. 

On 12/19/2023 at 9:38 PM, jsnpritchett said:

That's a lot of prerequisites.   He's a lottery ticket -- he's just been sitting in a drawer for a while.

10 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

That's a lot of prerequisites.   He's a lottery ticket -- he's just been sitting in a drawer for a while.

Totally understand he's a lottery ticket.  My point was simply that there's really no one like him who has ever succeeded at the major league level.  It'd be a good story if his number gets called, though.

1 minute ago, jsnpritchett said:

Totally understand he's a lottery ticket.  My point was simply that there's really no one like him who has ever succeeded at the major league level.  It'd be a good story if his number gets called, though.

Sure, but the Angels lead the majors in unicorns in recent years.

But yeah, the dude is 100% a lotto ticket.  If they get 15 innings out of him at the MLB level before he completely implodes it will have been a success and an even bigger surprise IMO.  I just don't think anyone comes close to being what he is or rather would be if he actually succeeds. The only guy I can think of that got a start in his 30s and had any lasting success is Rip Sewell who I believe played during the WW2 years when better players were away.

I think we all agree it's a nothing move and yet, I'm much happier seeing them do something like that than another Cody Allen bullshit move.

4 hours ago, Blarg said:

Ward is a backup catcher so I think as long as he is cheap he stays. 

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Not to mention being better to see how he recovered from the beaning

Still has two years of control after 2024.

You know, come to think of it, I don’t think Ward will ever suit up at catcher again after getting drilled in the face.