• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

2 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Not to mention being better to see how he recovered from the beaning

Still has two years of control after 2024.

I only mentioned it because I assumed the Angels definitely wouldn't move Stassi after what he went through this year, and because I doubted anyone would have interest. Figured Fletcher wouldn't be moved either, yet Minasian cut ties with both. Initially I assumed Ward wouldn't be moved because I doubted the Angels would move a guy recovering from a scenario like that, yet they found takers for Stassi and Fletcher.

Ward certainly would have interest given that he's produced more than those two, and since the Angels don't have a problem moving on from a player with some questionable recovery, I think it's fair to say he could move now, though I don't expect it. 

As for him backing up at catcher...I doubt it. He's barely seen any time there at this point professionally, even after giving it a go at AAA a few season's back. He's the 3rd stringer emergency catcher at this point and that scenario rarely comes up. They could move him in a deal and sign someone like Garver to handle DH, platoon at 1B with Schanuel, and spot catcher from time-to-time.

6 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

He won't excite anybody here but he's one of the better minor league signings the Angels have made in the last 7-10 or so years

I would strongly consider moving him out from behind the plate and seeing what his bat does. He's a good catcher, better than the numbers suggest, but I think that's mostly due to hard work and him just generally being a baseball rat. He could probably play just about any position. But I think if you stick him in the outfield and have him focus just on the offensive side of things, he could really flourish. 

10 hours ago, Second Base said:

I would strongly consider moving him out from behind the plate and seeing what his bat does. He's a good catcher, better than the numbers suggest, but I think that's mostly due to hard work and him just generally being a baseball rat. He could probably play just about any position. But I think if you stick him in the outfield and have him focus just on the offensive side of things, he could really flourish. 

I think his bat was always a bit overrated because his minor league numbers were always batting average driven and unlike say a Howie Kendrick, he never hit the ball particularly hard. But at his worst he's like a good version of David Fletcher, lots of contact, tends to spray the ball all over.  I've always thought the criticism of his defense was similarly overstated. He just seems stiff behind the plate, like a guy that knows what he should be doing but has to think the entire way through which is why his framing has always been weak.. He's actually done a good job with the running game, his pop times have always been good, he's just a smaller guy so his blocking isn't great.

This is a good signing IMO because he is an actual MLB talent signed to a minor league deal and not a guy trying to prove he's more than a 4A player.   I don't think people will think much of it but he's as good a bet to put up an OPS+ in the 80-85 range, is a switch hitter and brings value as a back up.  

3 hours ago, Redondo said:

How does he compare to Quero who we traded?

Quero unlike Mejia has shown a pretty advanced feel for the zone -- he's already walked more in his minor league career despite having less than half the total at bats, Quero's power potential is better and he blocks better than Mejia.

I actually wonder if Mejia's lack of progression has made scouts doubt smaller catchers.  There is little question Mejia was much more highly thought of but as far as performance goes, Quero's shown more.

Like I said previously a lot of Mejia's game was batting average driven, those types can be the hardest to read because MiLB fields used to be a lot less uniform -- so the parks, the fields the lighting can all impact batting average outcomes.

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

Quero unlike Mejia has shown a pretty advanced feel for the zone -- he's already walked more in his minor league career despite having less than half the total at bats, Quero's power potential is better and he blocks better than Mejia.

I actually wonder if Mejia's lack of progression has made scouts doubt smaller catchers.  There is little question Mejia was much more highly thought of but as far as performance goes, Quero's shown more.

Like I said previously a lot of Mejia's game was batting average driven, those types can be the hardest to read because MiLB fields used to be a lot less uniform -- so the parks, the fields the lighting can all impact batting average outcomes.

Do you happen to have any contacts with the Trash Pandas?  I had someone that told me the pitchers were elated when Quero was traded.  The guy who told me is usually wired in but has been prone to exaggerate.  

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

Do you happen to have any contacts with the Trash Pandas?  I had someone that told me the pitchers were elated when Quero was traded.  The guy who told me is usually wired in but has been prone to exaggerate.  

Nope, but from what I've been told Quero is very headstrong -- pitchers sometimes want more autonomy. A catcher as young as Quero trying to push them towards certain pitches might cause friction.  

His work behind the plate is not close to where his bat is, so any criticisms there are likely based on something.

44 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Nope, but from what I've been told Quero is very headstrong -- pitchers sometimes want more autonomy. A catcher as young as Quero trying to push them towards certain pitches might cause friction.  

His work behind the plate is not close to where his bat is, so any criticisms there are likely based on something.

Something had to explain trading him for 2 months of Giolito and Lopez.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

Didn't know that

Thanks for the info

Mejia is essentially Fletcher as a catcher.  

I would love to ask guys like the two of them.  Because it seems to obvious to us.   Why do you swing at crap out of the zone?  

It's not helping you.  It's hard to hit those balls with any authority.  Is it that you can't stop yourself?  Are you getting bad advice?  Are you overly stubborn?   Have you tried and opposing teams have taken that away from you? (I don't believe that last one for a second)

How would Mejia compare to Bengie Molina?

Would it be too simplistic to say there are some similarities between Mejia and Molina, but with Molina hitting slightly better at major league level, striking out less %, but slower (hitting into more DPs), and a little better defensively (throwing out a slightly better % of baserunners)?

Edited by JVel17

40 minutes ago, JVel17 said:

How would Mejia compare to Bengie Molina?

Peak level Bengie was like a .280/.315/.440 hitter,so when you consider the difference in eras, that might translate to .265/.305/.425 today.  Mejia is likely capable of those numbers but the defense isnt close to comparable.  The other difference is K rate.  Bengie Molina was allergic to striking out.

4 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Peak level Bengie was like a .280/.315/.440 hitter,so when you consider the difference in eras, that might translate to .265/.305/.425 today.  Mejia is likely capable of those numbers but the defense is close to comparable.  The other difference is K rate.  Bengie Molina was allergic to striking out.

Since you edited this a bit.  Throwing guys out might be similar but Bengie was better, significantly so in every other defensive area.