• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels interested in Eovaldi and Kluber

mmc

2 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

Perhaps. But we need guys like that. I swear everyone but Quijada throws like 92 mph.

Yeah, I keep having a nightmare where we actually have a good season, the bullpen is decent-to-solid all year, we get into the playoffs...

...and then our bullpen of soft tossing 92 mph-ers just get completely lit up by quality offenses you face in the playoffs.

Teams winning in October have multiple power arms coming out of their bullpens.

2 hours ago, Warfarin said:

Starting pitcher: Carlos Carrasco, Alex Cobb (club option), Yu Darvish, Jack Flaherty, Lucas Giolito, Sonny Gray, Clayton Kershaw, Lance Lynn (club option), Kenta Maeda, Tyler Mahle, Germán Márquez, Miles Mikolas, Frankie Montas, Jordan Montgomery, Charlie Morton (club option), Aaron Nola, Jake Odorizzi, Shohei Ohtani, Eduardo Rodriguez (opt-out), Hyun Jin Ryu, Max Scherzer (opt-out), Luis Severino, Blake Snell, Marcus Stroman (opt-out), Julio Urías, Alex Wood.

This is why I'd probably punt on a multi-year deal for Eovaldi now.  I think a number of those guys are better than him, and if Ohtani leaves, I think there are various options we could pivot to that would be solid options.

Agreed. Kluber/Cueto make too much sense at this point

5 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

Also Hendriks isn't getting 5 years.

But again, it's not likely to happen. But if it did...

Hendriks is not a free agent so you would have to trade for him. His option for 2024 vests if he is traded, so Hendriks will cost 29 million for two years and the talent to acquire him.I would love to add him but it seems too costly.

Just now, Roy Hobbs said:

Hendriks is not a free agent so you would have to trade for him. His option for 2024 vests if he is traded, so Hendriks will cost 29 million for two years and the talent to acquire him.I would love to add him but it seems too costly.

Who would he cost?

2 hours ago, Lazorko Saves said:

Yeah, I keep having a nightmare where we actually have a good season, the bullpen is decent-to-solid all year, we get into the playoffs...

...and then our bullpen of soft tossing 92 mph-ers just get completely lit up by quality offenses you face in the playoffs.

I agree, but those arms seem to be available,  albeit expensive,  at the deadline.  Closers on bad teams get traded every year

2 hours ago, Lazorko Saves said:

Joyce will probably be promoted before season's end.  If we are contention, you can have some reassurance that we will have someone firing 105mph fastballs in our pen 😉

So that should give us at least three guys (Joyce, Estevez, Quijada) that throw some heat.  CRod, if he is healthy, would be another arm in that category too.

Murphy, if he can improve his control, throws around 99MPH.  So .. there are some options, we'll just have to see how it pans out.

6 hours ago, Warfarin said:

Starting pitcher: Carlos Carrasco, Alex Cobb (club option), Yu Darvish, Jack Flaherty, Lucas Giolito, Sonny Gray, Clayton Kershaw, Lance Lynn (club option), Kenta Maeda, Tyler Mahle, Germán Márquez, Miles Mikolas, Frankie Montas, Jordan Montgomery, Charlie Morton (club option), Aaron Nola, Jake Odorizzi, Shohei Ohtani, Eduardo Rodriguez (opt-out), Hyun Jin Ryu, Max Scherzer (opt-out), Luis Severino, Blake Snell, Marcus Stroman (opt-out), Julio Urías, Alex Wood.

This is why I'd probably punt on a multi-year deal for Eovaldi now.  I think a number of those guys are better than him, and if Ohtani leaves, I think there are various options we could pivot to that would be solid options.

something about giving Eovaldi a multi year deal bothers me anyway and the above is a really good reason not to.  Maybe it's the back injury followed by the shoulder tightness and the drop in velo toward the end of the year.  

I think he's probably still a pretty solid pitcher, I'm just getting warning signs going off in my head about him.  I get the feeling he's not gonna pitch very much during this next contract.  

28 minutes ago, angels1963 said:

How about Michael Wacha instead of Eovaldi or Kluber ??

Five years younger than Kluber and Cueto.   127 innings in 2022, might be able to stretch it to 162 innings.   GB/FB ratio is comparable to Kluber and Cueto.  Has solid control (31 BBs in 2022).   Doesn’t miss a lot of bats, and gave up more HRs than the other two although pitching half the time in Fenway.

I’d be happy with any of those 3 in that 4th spot in the rotation for 2023.

Eovaldi is going to be too expensive for 2023, and the Halos already lost a 2nd round pick.

Edited by Angel Oracle

35 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Five years younger than Kluber and Cueto.   127 innings in 2022, might be able to stretch it to 162 innings.   GB/FB ratio is comparable to Kluber and Cueto.  Has solid control (31 BBs in 2022).   Doesn’t miss a lot of bats, and gave up more HRs than the other two although pitching half the time in Fenway.

I’d be happy with any of those 3 in that 4th spot in the rotation for 2023.

Eovaldi is going to be too expensive for 2023, and the Halos already lost a 2nd round pick.

Agreed.  I think whoever gets the last spot will likely be more of a serviceable option than a top pitcher - someone who will sign a 1 year deal and bridge the gap to our young pitchers (Bush, Silseth, maybe Canning, maybe CRod, maybe Bachman).  One year should be enough time for at least one of the above to develop and take over a spot.

10 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

Kluber could turn into a pumpkin any time with his velo, age and that he doesn't really miss bats much but my guess is that it would be a 1yr deal.  I can probably live with that.  

Kluber can be decent, if handled with care. 6 man rotation helps, and limit him to five innings. Meaning he maxes out at 140 innings, probably closer to 130. If the Angels can do that, Kluber could give them a sub-4 ERA. 

8 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Kluber can be decent, if handled with care. 6 man rotation helps, and limit him to five innings. Meaning he maxes out at 140 innings, probably closer to 130. If the Angels can do that, Kluber could give them a sub-4 ERA. 

Yeah.  I think the 6 man rotation is actually helpful for us in terms of signing SPs looking to help retain/build value who have had some injury issues.  Kluber, Cueto, even Eovaldi - it would seem helpful, for health purposes, to pitch less frequently than a 5 man rotation would require.