• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels interested in Eovaldi and Kluber

mmc

3 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Hendriks pls

Last time Minasian didn't big on relievers, we ended up with Tepera, Loup and now Estevez. I like him fine as a GM for now, but I do not trust his judgement when it comes to relief pitching. 

But Hendricks had been good for a long time now. So he may be immune to typical fluctuations. 

1 minute ago, Second Base said:

Last time Minasian didn't big on relievers, we ended up with Tepera, Loup and now Estevez. I like him fine as a GM for now, but I do not trust his judgement when it comes to relief pitching. 

But Hendricks had been good for a long time now. So he may be immune to typical fluctuations. 

You forgot to mention Iglesias. 

24 minutes ago, Second Base said:

That's great and all, and I hope they do land Eovaldi, but I'm still pretty concerned about the bullpen. 

I’d rather have Eovaldi and a murky bullpen than no Eovaldi and a murky bullpen.

Bullpens are so random and volatile that you can’t really do much to ease any concerns about them.

14 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I’m skeptical they’ll go for Hendriks, because if he wanted to spend a lot on a closer, he would have just kept Iglesias and not dumped his contract to Atlanta, right?

Hendriks is due less, but not that much less.

You're most likely right, but damn I want him as the closer. Estevez becomes the setup man. 

Loup/Tepera/Herget for the 7th. 

15 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I’m skeptical they’ll go for Hendriks, because if he wanted to spend a lot on a closer, he would have just kept Iglesias and not dumped his contract to Atlanta, right?

Hendriks is due less, but not that much less.

I doubt they go after Hendriks, but one reasonable explanation I could see for dumping Iglesias and then acquiring Hendriks is if the budget changed between July and now.

7 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

You're most likely right, but damn I want him as the closer. Estevez becomes the setup man. 

Loup/Tepera/Herget for the 7th. 

6 minutes ago, Trendon said:

I doubt they go after Hendriks, but one reasonable explanation I could see for dumping Iglesias and then acquiring Hendriks is if the budget changed between July and now.

I mean, yeah, I’d love to get Hendriks.  If they truly aren’t constrained by the luxury tax, he’d for sure greatly strengthen our pen.  But yeah, I don’t really see it.  Think modest bullpen upgrades are more likely, along with a SP acquisition 

Surprised they aren’t pursuing Cueto?

Similar age and 2022 stats to Kluber

Averaged 6 1/3 innings per start, 158 innings in 24 starts and 1 relief outing.

Kluber made $8 million in 2022.

Cueto made $4.2 million in 2022.

Either would be a good one year signing and slotted in #4 spot, with Silseth hopefully ready after 2023.

Ohtani, Sandoval, Anderson, Kluber/Cueto, Detmers, Suarez

Edited by Angel Oracle

5 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Either would be a good one year signing and slotted in #4 spot, with Silseth hopefully ready after 2023.

They could be and we just don't know.  I like Eovaldi, but I think Kluber or Cueto would probably fit better.  Both should be available on 1 year deals and would not cost a pick.  

There are various options available next winter that are significantly better than Eovaldi, so I would probably look at those options instead.

I would probably opt for Kluber over Cueto, but I would be fine with either.  They should be good enough to bridge the gap until our young pitchers are ready, or close to it.

7 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

CRod?

CRod & Canning haven't pitched in nearly 2 years. CRod hasn't even started  throwing yet. If either or both are healthy enough, they will probably start out in AAA to get reps. Midseason would be my guess to see them in the majors if all goes good.

3 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

They could be and we just don't know.  I like Eovaldi, but I think Kluber or Cueto would probably fit better.  Both should be available on 1 year deals and would not cost a pick.  

There are various options available next winter that are significantly better than Eovaldi, so I would probably look at those options instead.

I would probably opt for Kluber over Cueto, but I would be fine with either.  They should be good enough to bridge the gap until our young pitchers are ready, or close to it.

That being said if we lose Ohtani after this year I’d feel better having a rotation with Eovaldi, Sandoval, Anderson, Detmers and Suarez. 

50 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Kluber/Cueto would both make sense. No draft pick, as opposed to Eovaldi.

I think they add a starter and a reliever

11 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I think before I invest money in another pitcher, if funds really aren't an issue, offer Detmers and Sandoval an extension. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see Minasian start to do things like this.  He essentially already did with Fletcher and Stassi.  That is the Anthopolous style - and it has worked out spectacularly for the Braves.

I'd for sure consider locking those guys up.  

17 minutes ago, Cosmo_Kramer said:

Next year FA is actually deeper at SP than I anticipated

Starting pitcher: Carlos Carrasco, Alex Cobb (club option), Yu Darvish, Jack Flaherty, Lucas Giolito, Sonny Gray, Clayton Kershaw, Lance Lynn (club option), Kenta Maeda, Tyler Mahle, Germán Márquez, Miles Mikolas, Frankie Montas, Jordan Montgomery, Charlie Morton (club option), Aaron Nola, Jake Odorizzi, Shohei Ohtani, Eduardo Rodriguez (opt-out), Hyun Jin Ryu, Max Scherzer (opt-out), Luis Severino, Blake Snell, Marcus Stroman (opt-out), Julio Urías, Alex Wood.

This is why I'd probably punt on a multi-year deal for Eovaldi now.  I think a number of those guys are better than him, and if Ohtani leaves, I think there are various options we could pivot to that would be solid options.