• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Brandon Drury (2 years, $17 million), DFA Oliver Ortega

mmc

Why exaggerate though? When have I exaggerated? Doesn't make any sense to post that no one makes trades in the off season unless they are salary dumps when teams do in fact make trades that are not salary dumps. It's not an exaggeration, it's just flat out wrong. It's also even more odd that it's coming from an OC register writer.

5 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

Why exaggerate though? When have I exaggerated? Doesn't make any sense to post that no one makes trades in the off season unless they are salary dumps when teams do in fact make trades that are not salary dumps. It's not an exaggeration, it's just flat out wrong. It's also even more odd that it's coming from an OC register writer.

Haha. Ok. 

On 1/7/2023 at 8:42 PM, beatlesrule said:

i'll be the one to spell it out for you. it's not an exaggeration, it's a familiar turn of phrase.

"this never happens anymore" doesn't mean this never happens anymore to native english speakers. it means "this doesn't happen as much as it used to".

fletcher is saying, hey a player need trade for a player need trade. you don't see these very often now a days.

hopefully, we can move on from this now.

19 hours ago, beatlesrule said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/01/phillies-tigers-agree-to-trade-for-gregory-soto.html

Salary dump? How about the trades that have happened between the last post I made and this post? See, talent exchanging trades are alive and well. To say they never happen in the offseason is just wrong.

Ok, I should not have said “never.” But I think “alive and well” is an exaggeration. Off the top of my head there have been 3 trades all winter in which the headliner had more than one year of control (which is where I draw the line at salary dump). 

Murphy, Varsho, Soto. 

I may be forgetting someone, but the point remains that it’s a lot more difficult to make these talent-for-talent trades than it used to be. 

1 hour ago, Trendon said:

It seemed like talent-for-talent trades were aplenty last offseason.

- Stallings to MIA for prospects.

- Wendle to MIA for prospects.

- Renfroe to MIL for Bradley Jr. & prospects.

- Garver for Kiner-Falefa & prospect.

- Sonny Gray for prospects.

- Olson to ATL for prospects.

- Winker & Suarez to SEA for prospects.

- Chapman to TOR for prospects.

- Voit to SD for prospect.

- Amir Garrett to KC.

- Cole Sulser and Tanner Scott for comp pick.

- Meadows for Paredes.

- Trevino for Abreu.

- Paddack & Pagan for Rogers.

It sounds like the trade market took a backseat to the free agent market this offseason, so it’s possible that a wave of talent-for-talent trades is coming.

All those prospect trades are not examples of what Fletch is talking about.  He’s talking about major league player for major league player.  

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

All those prospect trades are not examples of what Fletch is talking about.  He’s talking about major league player for major league player.  

Not necessarily. I’m just talking about trades in which there are no financial considerations, so you have to have equal talent. 

In the Sean Murphy trade, for example, the A’s could afford Murphy and didn’t need to trade him, so they needed to get back enough talent to make it work. 

By contrast, the Brewers traded Hunter Renfroe to the Angels because they didn’t want to pay him, so the salary relief was part of the “return.”

That’s what I’m talking about. 

14 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Not necessarily. I’m just talking about trades in which there are no financial considerations, so you have to have equal talent. 

In the Sean Murphy trade, for example, the A’s could afford Murphy and didn’t need to trade him, so they needed to get back enough talent to make it work. 

By contrast, the Brewers traded Hunter Renfroe to the Angels because they didn’t want to pay him, so the salary relief was part of the “return.”

My bad. I misunderstood what you were saying. 

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

All trades are rooted in financial considerations. They only differ based on the individual teams go to business strategies.

Billy Beane is the ultimate buy low, sell high guy. It's what he does. He even makes it his message in his corporate speaking appearances. The A's traded Murphy because they have options at catcher that cost less. 

Anthopoulos traded for Murphy and did what he does - he locked up Murphy for his age 28-33 seasons, 6 years for an AAV of $12M.

Both teams saved money working within their corporate strategies.

The same principles were in play in the Renfroe trade. The Brewers could obviously afford him but they will have Tyrone Taylor (4 years of control) and Garrett Mitchell (6 years of control), two local guys, in their OF this year.

8 minutes ago, disarcina said:

Drury a good bench depth guy -- and he can start at virtually every infield position.

he can also DH -- 

I like this signing - its not the end all but its having a good MIF utility depth guy.

He's played well at each of his MLB stops.

Not really.  Prior to '22, he had negative career bWAR and 0.6 f WAR. 

23 hours ago, TempeAngel said:

All trades are rooted in financial considerations. They only differ based on the individual teams go to business strategies.

Billy Beane is the ultimate buy low, sell high guy. It's what he does. He even makes it his message in his corporate speaking appearances. The A's traded Murphy because they have options at catcher that cost less. 

Anthopoulos traded for Murphy and did what he does - he locked up Murphy for his age 28-33 seasons, 6 years for an AAV of $12M.

Both teams saved money working within their corporate strategies.

The same principles were in play in the Renfroe trade. The Brewers could obviously afford him but they will have Tyrone Taylor (4 years of control) and Garrett Mitchell (6 years of control), two local guys, in their OF this year.

Ok. I should stop speaking in absolutes here. I said “no financial considerations” in the post you’re replying to. 

Obviously, every deal is about both money and talent. However, I think we all understand there’s a sliding scale. Some are mostly money and some are mostly talent, and the latter are much more rare and tougher to pull off now.