• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Brandon Drury (2 years, $17 million), DFA Oliver Ortega

mmc

• mmc changed the title to Angels sign Brandon Drury (2 years, $17 million)

I had a feeling this was coming, even though I'm not crazy about Drury.  I'm still slightly confused as to what the overall strategy is at this point, as the Angels continue to deepen the roster, but they're now at the point of creating redundancies. With this signing, plus the Urshela deal, and the continued presence of Rengifo and Fletcher, there's not really enough ABs to go around for everyone.  I get that you want to prepare for the worst, but I'm still concerned that while the "floor has been raised," the ceiling really hasn't been.

1 minute ago, jsnpritchett said:

I had a feeling this was coming, even though I'm not crazy about Drury.  I'm still slightly confused as to what the overall strategy is at this point, as the Angels continue to deepen the roster, but they're now at the point of creating redundancies. With this signing, plus the Urshela deal, and the continued presence of Rengifo and Fletcher, there's not really enough ABs to go around for everyone.  I get that you want to prepare for the worst, but I'm still concerned that while the "floor has been raised," the ceiling really hasn't been.

It'll be an epic Spring Training battle of the mediocre infielders.

Have to somewhat wonder if there's another corresponding move to come.  Urshela will likely get regular playing time, and you'd think Drury too.  That, combined with Rendon, Walsh, Rengifo, and Fletcher .. the infield is rather crowded.

Just now, Warfarin said:

Have to somewhat wonder if there's another corresponding move to come.  Urshela will likely get regular playing time, and you'd think Drury too.  That, combined with Rendon, Walsh, Rengifo, and Fletcher .. the infield is rather crowded.

For whatever reason, this organization has tried to trade Rengifo for like 4 offseasons straight. 

Well they definitely needed another guy who they weren’t afraid to play everyday, and the team was missing a real shortstop. Whether or not this guy solves those problems is another question.

18 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

Seems pretty clear they punted on raising the ceiling in favor of the floor.  An argument can be made that it makes sense, they have enough star level players but almost zero room for error.

Now they have a ton of room for error, hopefully they didn't "error" in their decision making.

1 minute ago, Warfarin said:

Yeah, unless there's another move in the works, it doesn't make much sense to spend (presumably) limited resources on multiple guys who more or less overlap.

2 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I don’t think so. Urshela and Walsh will cover the corner outfield as well, and Fletcher is perma benched now.

Just now, jsnpritchett said:

Yeah, unless there's another move in the works, it doesn't make much sense to spend (presumably) limited resources on multiple guys who more or less overlap.

Maybe Rengifo will be used in a trade?  No idea.  Fletcher has negative trade value.  Urshela was just acquired.  Walsh has no trade value.  Rendon obviously isn't going anywhere.  So .. 

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

Seems pretty clear they punted on raising the ceiling in favor of floor.  An argument can be made that it makes sense, they have enough star level players but almost zero room for error.

Now they have a ton of room for error, hopefully they didn't "error" in their decision making.

I've long thought this was the way to go. Just surround Trout, Ohtani, and Detmers with decent players. The Rendon signing messed everything up. 

Just now, AngelsLakersFan said:

I don’t think so. Urshela and Walsh will cover the corner outfield as well, and Fletcher is perma benched now.

Maybe Walsh, and maybe Rengifo.  Hard to see Urshela playing OF.  Maybe he'll play SS more than we thought?  He appears to rate as average there, so .. maybe?

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Seems pretty clear they punted on raising the ceiling in favor of floor.  An argument can be made that it makes sense, they have enough star level players but almost zero room for error.

I think the issue here is that the team focused on covering for when Trout and Rendon are out of the lineup, but they forgot this team won’t win anyway without those guys in the lineup.