• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Brandon Drury (2 years, $17 million), DFA Oliver Ortega

mmc

2 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

This team needs Ward more than Lopez.  If Ward is traded, we have Trout, Renfroe, and ??.  And if one of those gets hurt, then we will probably soon see Moniak and Adell starting regularly, which is a very bad outcome.

Keep Ward.  

not to mention ward is going to be a top three hitter on this team. he's no fluke. 

1 minute ago, ukyah said:

i understand, but i disagree. you can not just walk away from the package you would get for ohtani. contention doesn't matter in this case. you have to get the franchise altering value.

I understand, but if this team is a contender, the fan base would revolt if you traded Ohtani.  You just don't really see teams do that, even if it makes sense from a long-term perspective.

8 minutes ago, ukyah said:

if he finishes this season on the angels and he doesn't have an extension already, then the angels are the biggest fools in mlb.

Cohen has FU money if he wants Ohtani he won’t be outbid and it will be up to Shohei. I think he winds up a Met it will be similar to the Cole saga a few years ago. The dodgers and angels will be way behind.

The dark horse could be Seattle, they have very little payroll compared to prior years. No state income tax so there offer could be competitive vis a vis the LA/NY teams. If they went Texas Arod 2001 then that’s the only other team I could see in the running.

not to mention ward is going to be a top three hitter on this team. he's no fluke. 

That's my feeling too.  I think Ward is legit.  Not what we saw the first 2 months, but I could see him legitimately being a 900 OPS hitter.  Fantastic eye, power, etc.  

I would be amenable to trading Rengifo for the right deal, but I would keep Ward.

1 minute ago, Warfarin said:

I understand, but if this team is a contender, the fan base would revolt if you traded Ohtani.  You just don't really see teams do that, even if it makes sense from a long-term perspective.

fan base doesn't matter, they're going to hate you when you lose him to whomever anyway. you have to get the haul, if you can't sign the player. we are talking about a significant package of #1 prospects, etc. end of story.

3 minutes ago, IheartLA said:

Cohen has FU money if he wants Ohtani he won’t be outbid and it will be up to Shohei. I think he winds up a Met it will be similar to the Cole saga a few years ago. The dodgers and angels will be way behind.

The dark horse could be Seattle, they have very little payroll compared to prior years. No state income tax so there offer could be competitive vis a vis the LA/NY teams. If they went Texas Arod 2001 then that’s the only other team I could see in the running.

cohen is after the season. he's not a factor

7 minutes ago, IheartLA said:

I wouldn’t hit Rengifo lead off, even when he went on a relative heater power wise in the 2nd half his OBP was below .300.

As of right now hit him 6th or 7th and Ward lead off.

What is odd to me is Rengifo actually had pretty good BB% rates in the minors - usually in the double digits, but almost always above 9%.  His last two years in the majors have produced some rather low BB%.  I wonder if our new hitting coach / team can work with him to see if he can rediscover that.  Would help a lot if he could be more selective and get on base more.

fan base doesn't matter, they're going to hate you when you lose him to whomever anyway. you have to get the haul, if you can't sign the player. we are talking about a significant package of #1 prospects, etc. end of story.

I'd be shocked to see them trade him if we are firmly in the lead for something - i.e. wild card.  You'd be punting on this season.  As we have seen, wild card teams routinely make deep runs into the playoffs and win it all.  They would keep him, offer him a gigantic contract, and if he ultimately leaves, what can you really say/do?  

I think they will trade him if they are not in the playoff hunt, but I do not think they will trade him if they are in the playoff race.  There is also something about him where even if we offered him, say, 500 million right now, I am not sure he would take it.  I think he values winning way, way more than money.

3 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

What is odd to me is Rengifo actually had pretty good BB% rates in the minors - usually in the double digits, but almost always above 9%.  His last two years in the majors have produced some rather low BB%.  I wonder if our new hitting coach / team can work with him to see if he can rediscover that.  Would help a lot if he could be more selective and get on base more.

it takes time to adjust to big league pitching.

see Ward, Taylor.

Rengifo will come around and build on last year. There’s a reason the Dodgers and so many other teams have had interest in him.

Just now, totdprods said:

it takes time to adjust to big league pitching.

see Ward, Taylor.

Rengifo will come around and build on last year. There’s a reason the Dodgers and so many other teams have had interest in him.

I always come back to that.  The Dodgers wanted Ward and Rengifo.  Look at Ward now.  Rengifo turned a corner last year, and he's still only 25.  He can further improve.

18 minutes ago, IheartLA said:

What about Ohtani's signing gives you the idea he wants to play on the east coast? When he came to MLB, he very deliberately and obviously excluded every team east of Texas and Chicago. He's not going to the Mets or Yankees unless no one is anywhere close on money. 

Just now, Warfarin said:

That's cool of Gubi to say but I doubt he knows anything about what the FO is doing.  That said, I am anticipating they'll sign a SP.  About 7-8mil or so left to play with, I am assuming.

Wasn't Gubi the one a couple years ago who said the Angels were going to make three big deals for pitchers?

Spoiler

It didn't happen.

Just now, Pancake Bear said:

What about Ohtani's signing gives you the idea he wants to play on the east coast? When he came to MLB, he very deliberately and obviously excluded every team east of Texas and Chicago. He's not going to the Mets or Yankees unless no one is anywhere close on money. 

The Mariners don't really concern me either.  I think we will match/beat them.  I think it will just come down to us or the Dodgers.

So, another unexpected move. Minasian excels at that, it seems.

Various possible conclusions could be drawn here:

- A trade is coming with Rengifo on the move for a shortstop.

- Rendon and/or Walsh are considered high risk by the front office.

- Shortstop prices are sky high.

- The front office really values positional flexibility.

If either of the latter two are true, it means we aren't getting a shortstop. Okay, I guess? 

Mildly concerned about the defense. Fletcher profiles okay at short defensively, but I don't trust the bat and don't really want him playing everyday.

Apparently the front office really believes in Drury's adjustments at the plate, because that's an awful contract otherwise.

One thing of note: Drury was fantastic vs lefties last year, and we know Minasian loves his platoons (per Maddon's book). 

On the whole, if this is it, I'm happy that the depth is better (in theory), but very nervous still. Lot of risk, but at least they're mitigating it with guys who actually can hit major league pitching. 

12 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

So, another unexpected move. Minasian excels at that, it seems.

Various possible conclusions could be drawn here:

- A trade is coming with Rengifo on the move for a shortstop.

- Rendon and/or Walsh are considered high risk by the front office.

- Shortstop prices are sky high.

- The front office really values positional flexibility.

If either of the latter two are true, it means we aren't getting a shortstop. Okay, I guess? 

Mildly concerned about the defense. Fletcher profiles okay at short defensively, but I don't trust the bat and don't really want him playing everyday.

Apparently the front office really believes in Drury's adjustments at the plate, because that's an awful contract otherwise.

One thing of note: Drury was fantastic vs lefties last year, and we know Minasian loves his platoons (per Maddon's book). 

On the whole, if this is it, I'm happy that the depth is better (in theory), but very nervous still. Lot of risk, but at least they're mitigating it with guys who actually can hit major league pitching. 

I suspect multiple things are true.  Shortstop prices are assuredly sky high, and the front office does really value positional flexibility.  I think both of those are very much true.

I do think that the FO does not really trust Rendon to stay healthy, and I see this as adding another tier of positional insurance.  If Rendon again misses significant time, then either Drury or Urshela can take over 3B, and we'd still have another rather solid guy on the bench even if that happens. 

So fleshing out the above situation, let's say Rendon is out indefinitely.  Urshela takes over 3B indefinitely, Drury starts at 2B sometimes, with Rengio at SS and Walsh at 1B.  Against LHP, Drury can slide over to 1B, Rengifo starts at 2B, Fletcher at SS, and so on.

DO NOT TRADE Rengifo!!!! Come on people - just because you can, doesn’t mean you should…..!!!!

Rengifo carried this lineup far more than Ward did last season (and I’m not hating on Ward)… I think Rengifo is proving to be special…. Not spectacular, but an exceptional “glue guy”…!

I love how Minasian is tightening the screws on Rendon!!!  Prove to the club we can count on you, or we’ll move on…. 

We get it… you’re too blessed to be stressed… and you and the Vernon Wells of the world can enjoy your umbrella drinks on some island while clowning about how your mediocrity got over on some MLB club… or you can demonstrate some personal pride and teach your kids what it means to earn a paycheck….

6 minutes ago, Deek said:

DO NOT TRADE Rengifo!!!! Come on people - just because you can, doesn’t mean you should…..!!!!

Rengifo carried this lineup far more than Ward did last season (and I’m not hating on Ward)… I think Rengifo is proving to be special…. Not spectacular, but an exceptional “glue guy”…!

I love how Minasian is tightening the screws on Rendon!!!  Prove to the club we can count on you, or we’ll move on…. 

We get it… you’re too blessed to be stressed… and you and the Vernon Wells of the world can enjoy your umbrella drinks on some island while clowning about how your mediocrity got over on some MLB club… or you can demonstrate some personal pride and teach your kids what it means to earn a paycheck….

Lol, wut?

948D200A-A704-4C3B-8C41-3F69DCC39DEC.thumb.jpeg.3a39507143498a58994abca0c08c9008.jpeg

E0271D3D-6D07-44AB-83CC-B6A3680E4467.thumb.jpeg.4178c2bf2a97824579928fa706c75852.jpeg

I'm not leading the trade-Rengifo train, but where in the world are you getting the notion that he's more valuable or carried the lineup more than Ward? That's ludicrous.