• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2023 MLB Amateur Draft Thread

Chuck

10 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Halos 1st round slot = $5.2 million

#40 overall pick (Sykora per MLB.com) = $2.1 million

Halos 3rd round slot = $900k

What is Schanuel estimated to sign for?

$5.2 million minus that is the extra that the Halos have for future rounds.

This seems doable. Schanuel probably won't sign for 5.2, he was projected most often between 17 and 21, so from around $3.6-$4.1 maybe? Which would give you up to 2.5 to sign Sykora, if he's there...

3 minutes ago, Hubs said:

This seems doable. Schanuel probably won't sign for 5.2, he was projected most often between 17 and 21, so from around $3.6-$4.1 maybe? Which would give you up to 2.5 to sign Sykora, if he's there...

One thing in the favor of Sykora deciding to attend UTexas is that because he’s already 19, he would be part of the 2025 draft instead of 2026 draft.   Not as long to wait

5 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

One thing in the favor of Sykora deciding to attend UTexas is that because he’s already 19, he would be part of the 2025 draft instead of 2026 draft.   Not as long to wait

If not Sykora then another over slot player.

6 minutes ago, Jason said:

That’s a real thing? Do they have shitty hitting coaches or something?

Was very real.

Their former coach Mark Marquess was an opposite field zealot -- and no, that's not hyperbole.  You could get yelled at for pulling a ball when he felt you could go the other way, and if you couldn't consistently do it you might get benched.  A lot of guys in the Marquess days saw their development stalled because they just never learned how to turn on a pitch.  

Dude was a great coach, but he was death to SPs and he was a complete control freak in many ways.

I like the Rios pick but I'm surprised they selected him over OF Jack Hurley out of Virginia Tech, who of course went next in the draft to the D-Backs.

Hurley has 5-tool ability. The Angels must really like Rios bat over Hurley's overall ability. 

1 minute ago, Chuckster70 said:

I like the Rios pick but I'm surprised they selected him over OF Jack Hurley out of Virginia Tech, who of course went next in the draft to the D-Backs.

Hurley has 5-tool ability. The Angels must really like Rios bat over Hurley's overall ability. 

I agree. Kind of a head scratcher to me as Hurley would have been a solid grab at 79. I trust that the front office knows more about these players than any of us. I dont personally love the first 2 picks, but wtf do i know.

1 minute ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

I agree. Kind of a head scratcher to me as Hurley would have been a solid grab at 79. I trust that the front office knows more about these players than any of us. I dont personally love the first 2 picks, but wtf do i know.

One thing is for sure, both of these guys the Angels drafted can hit, have excellent plate discipline and have good barrels, pop. 

You love to see it. 

5 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Hurley struck out almost 40% of the time in summer wood leagues.  If recent history is any indication that likely didn't sit well with the minor league people -- Rios by comparison posted a .480 OBP in summer leagues.

7 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I liked Hurley last night and even today, but I read that he’s had issues with in-zone whiffs.

He also struck out 2x more than he walked this year.

Guessing that’s what turned them off Hurley in the end.