• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2022-23 Offseason Hot Stove Thread

mmc

2 hours ago, Warfarin said:

Salary relief.  If we sought out Burnes instead of Woodruff, we could do this:

image.thumb.png.6d05226501f989541178157ac05860c5.png

Twin aces in Ohtani/Burnes, a huge SS upgrade, and even an OF upgrade.  We'd be legit contenders.  I can dream, right?

Zero chance that the Brewers would do a deal like that.  Their fans would riot. 

7 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Yeah, somewhere on other team's boards fans are putting together things like this, saying the Angels should take this in a heartbeat, because 4.90 > 4.60

trv.jpg

20 minutes ago, Lazorko Saves said:

Don't get me wrong @Warfarin, I love BBTV website for kind of doing a sanity check on deals with middle of the road players and prospects.

But with those big negative value contracts and elite level players, it just doesn't represent real world possibilities.

The issue really is whether a team actually wants to move those players. If they were inclined to, the values might be correct, but unless they have incentive to move them the question is irrelevant. 

1 minute ago, Pancake Bear said:

The issue really is whether a team actually wants to move those players. If they were inclined to, the values might be correct, but unless they have incentive to move them the question is irrelevant. 

I think the issue is different.  Teams that want to offload dead weight will always eat money to do it.

Even if the Brewers got a real itch to dump Yelich, they aren't going to trade their #1 starter and starting SS to do it.  It just doesn't happen, unless you get an owner who is headed for bankruptcy or something weird like that.

1 hour ago, jsnpritchett said:

34 minutes ago, Lazorko Saves said:

I think the issue is different.  Teams that want to offload dead weight will always eat money to do it.

Even if the Brewers got a real itch to dump Yelich, they aren't going to trade their #1 starter and starting SS to do it.  It just doesn't happen, unless you get an owner who is headed for bankruptcy or something weird like that.

Yeah, I know.  That's why I always qualified it and said pure fantasy.  But it's fun to play around with that machine nevertheless.

48 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

39 minutes ago, Lazorko Saves said:

Well, notably, the Red Sox did do that back in 2012, in which they shipped off 250 million in contracts to the Dodgers for basically nothing.  They weren't heading to bankruptcy.  Incidentally, they actually used that payroll space to help finance their future teams, and they notably won the World Series the very next year.

That said, I recognize that was a rather specific circumstance and unusual occurrence.  I would not expect to see anything like that reprise itself.  Moreover, the fan base would only tolerate that if they essentially immediately re-invested that cost savings into the team, which would be highly unlikely given how they operate.

2 hours ago, mmc said:

So this is rather interesting.  Are they going to re-negotiate the deal?  Get Correa to defer more, thus bringing down the AAV further?  Or would this be enough to actually scuttle the deal?

It is rather unusual to see something like this over such a high profile free agency.  

6 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Will Angels hold off on trade talks for Anderson, Adames, Rosario, Mateo and Brujan until Correa mess cleared up?

Extremely unlikely.  Does not seem like the Angels were ever a factor in the 4 star FAs.  Just doesn't make financial sense to an owner in the process of selling the team.  It might delay things in that if Correa's deal is reneged, then we'll have to wait a few days before his blockbuster deal with either the Mets or Padres is announced, lol.