• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Lessons Learned from the 2022 Los Angeles Angels Bullpen: Leads gained and lost

Docwaukee

Do you guys know how many teams have scored fewer runs than the Angels this season?

I had a thought but it was backed up when I chose to look it up.

Still don't know? Look it up.

The Bullpen was not our undoing, the offense was.

It's silly to think differently!

Respect to the originator because I agree with him almost always, but this time the narrative of his thread is obviously flawed.

5 hours ago, TempeAngel said:

Do you guys know how many teams have scored fewer runs than the Angels this season?

Respect to the originator because I agree with him almost always, but this time the narrative of his thread is obviously flawed.

The bullpen started things though, blowing those Jays games in that 4 game series in late May.

Then the injuries to Rendon, Ward, Walsh, and eventually Trout completed the sinking of the team’s chances.

18 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

The bullpen started things though, blowing those Jays games in that 4 game series in late May.

Then the injuries to Rendon, Ward, Walsh, and eventually Trout completed the sinking of the team’s chances.

Yeah - there are multiple reasons as to why this team went into the gutter, but Ward's season really parallels it well - he started off incredibly hot, our team was looking good, then he got hurt, we struggled significantly, and now we are actually looking decent again now that he is having a strong September.

A lot of things need to be fixed, but Ward's outbreak (along with Rengifo's to a lesser degree) is promising.  Trout, Ohtani, Ward, and (maybe) Rendon could make for a really strong core.  We've highlighted this on other threads, but if those 4 are healthy and performing like they have been, then all this team really needs to do is surround them with league average or better players - not stars.  

We do likely need a few more arms for the pen, but a lot of teams can find those guys from unknown/obscure places.  I would say that whatever money we have to spend, the vast majority of it needs to go to the offense, with a little bit allocated to another SP and a little bit to spread around relief options.

6 hours ago, TempeAngel said:

Having Loup and Tepera being consistently used negates most leads.  However, the primary reason for a dismal season is sitting in the front office. Minasian has been impressive during his short tenure.

1 hour ago, eligrba said:

Having Loup and Tepera being consistently used negates most leads.  However, the primary reason for a dismal season is sitting in the front office. Minasian has been impressive during his short tenure.

While I would say a number of people share blame, including Minasian, I think he has done a pretty good job on the whole of building the organization so far.  His free agent signings have been decent - Syndergaard, Lorenzen, etc.  No one has been amazing, but if you look at the track record of most FOs, most free agent signings are hits or misses.

The key thing that he can do is greatly help build our player development infrastructure.  It is too early to tell, but it does seem like we have more promising prospects now than we have in a long time.  It takes multiple years for a GM to overturn the player development department, hire the team they want, and then have those principles instilled into the minor leaguers they currently have, as well as look for particular players to draft thereafter.

Again - it just all takes time.  The key question is, is the organization (from top to bottom) trending in the right direction?  Based on our minor league system, I would say yes, it is.  The MLB results should show up soon.

16 hours ago, Trendon said:

They need more relievers who throw gas.

I’m tired of watching Jaime Barría lob in 90-91 mph fastballs.

The Angels have one (1) reliever who throws gas: José Quijada.

The rest have fastballs around the league average or below it.

Ortega?

On 9/30/2022 at 10:45 AM, Trendon said:

He’s not in the majors right now.

Ortega, Peguero, and Marte all throw in the upper 90’s, but they haven’t stuck in the majors.

Ortega thought I think has major league stuff.  And his track record was better than those other two, but then started getting hit more often than he should've.