• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Michael Lorenzen will return Friday vs the Astros

mmc

https://www.rotoballer.com/player-news/michael-lorenzen-goes-six-innings-in-rehab-start/1061717

Los Angeles Angels right-hander Michael Lorenzen (shoulder) tossed six innings on Friday night in his third minor league rehab start for Single-A Inland Empire, allowing two earned runs on four hits (one home run) while walking two and striking out five. The 30-year-old gave up six runs in just 3 2/3 innings in his second rehab start for Triple-A Salt Lake last weekend, so this was certainly an improvement, albeit against lesser competition. It remains to be seen if he's ready to rejoin the Angels rotation, but he was sitting in the mid-90s with his fastball on Friday night. Lorenzen has been out since July 1, and he's been inconsistent in 2022 for fantasy managers with a 4.94 ERA (4.48 FIP), a 1.35 WHIP and 55 strikeouts to 30 walks in 71 innings over 13 starts.

1 hour ago, eligrba said:

I have never understood why a pitcher is ready for major league hitters when minor league hitters hit them hard on a rehab start.

Unless you saw the game, you don’t know they hit him “hard.” At AAA the ballparks are often bandboxes and/or at high altitude. And at lower levels the defense is pretty crappy. Not all “hits” are created equal. 

Also, in a rehab outing the pitcher is not really attacking hitters the way he would in the majors. Aside from the fact that the pitcher might just be trying different pitches to get the feel right, he doesn’t even have the scouting reports he would in the majors. The defense also isn’t positioned the way it is in the majors. 

They’re pretty much going off the trackman data and how the pitcher feels. They don’t care about what the box score says. 

3 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Unless you saw the game, you don’t know they hit him “hard.” At AAA the ballparks are often bandboxes and/or at high altitude. And at lower levels the defense is pretty crappy. Not all “hits” are created equal. 

Also, in a rehab outing the pitcher is not really attacking hitters the way he would in the majors. Aside from the fact that the pitcher might just be trying different pitches to get the feel right, he doesn’t even have the scouting reports he would in the majors. The defense also isn’t positioned the way it is in the majors. 

They’re pretty much going off the trackman data and how the pitcher feels. They don’t care about what the box score says. 

Can you clarify the purpose of a simulated game?

20 minutes ago, eligrba said:

Can you clarify the purpose of a simulated game?

I think it’s a controlled environment to see where a pitcher is at physically, where the actual decision makers at the major league level can keep a watchful eye. So I’m under the impression it’s to see where a pitcher is physically. 

44 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I like he gets to showcase himself for a few games before season end. Maybe be cheap option for halos next season. He was pitching well at start of season.

13 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I'd still rather see someone like Toussaint, Barria, Silseth, Junk, etc. get the 4-5 starts that Lorenzen will end up getting.  It won't make a huge deal either way, I guess, but seems like it would be a wiser use of the innings to get more info on how some of those guys can do facing ML hitters. 

I agree with you here. I think they might be auditioning him for another contract. I have no idea if his early season success is an indication of future success or if he was just ahead of the hitters early in the season. 

12 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I agree with you here. I think they might be auditioning him for another contract. I have no idea if his early season success is an indication of future success or if he was just ahead of the hitters early in the season. 

Yeah, I've heard the "auditioning him for next year" theory, but even if that's the case, it doesn't make much sense to me.  Even early in the year, he was pretty inconsistent and not exactly dominant in his "good" starts.  I will be pretty disappointed if they bring him back next season, even at $7M or so.  At this point, it seems like they have multiple guys in the minors who could likely equal (or better) his performance for the minimum salary.

47 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I think it’s a controlled environment to see where a pitcher is at physically, where the actual decision makers at the major league level can keep a watchful eye. So I’m under the impression it’s to see where a pitcher is physically. 

What about a bullpen session?

All of these terms are thrown around but without any context, it's hard to know the purpose for each.

13 minutes ago, eligrba said:

What about a bullpen session?

All of these terms are thrown around but without any context, it's hard to know the purpose for each.

Once again, I am just going off of what my perception of these things are, but I would think a bullpen session would be a step towards seeing where a player is physically, before setting them up for a minor league rehab, a simulated game or to be activated for the major league level.  You could also see a bullpen session being where the pitcher would throw some but not all of his pitches, where a simulated game I would assume is where they bring their full arsenal at some level.

16 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

So are we gonna shit on veterans once eliminated from the playoffs then wonder why nobody wants to sign here?

Lol, what?  The guy signed a one-year deal and has been hurt for a long time.  I don't think any team (contender or cellar-dweller) "owes" a player anything other than the $ they agreed to at this point in a season, given the circumstances.

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Once again, I am just going off of what my perception of these things are, but I would think a bullpen session would be a step towards seeing where a player is physically, before setting them up for a minor league rehab, a simulated game or to be activated for the major league level.  You could also see a bullpen session being where the pitcher would throw some but not all of his pitches, where a simulated game I would assume is where they bring their full arsenal at some level.

@Jeff Fletcher messed up my understanding of rehab pitching assignments.  I guess I need to calibrate again.