• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Who would you cut from the 40 man before August 31?

mmc

The trade deadline has passed and now is the time when teams will be waiting players from the 40 man to give opportunities to players in the organization, and also to start clearing spots for their offseason moves.  Most will be waived in August as it is the last month teams are able to add players to their organization and have them be eligible for the playoffs

Who would you release from our 40 man to free up spots, and who would you give opportunities to?  

For me I’d waive Duffy, Lorenzen, and Bradley when they are healthy, and Suzuki, Gosselin, and Rojas. 

They won't cut Lorenzen. There seems to be a lot of mutual interest to bring him back. The thing is, he will not commit to anything besides starting...even though his arm clearly wasn't up to it this year. But the Angels seemed to have promised him something. He could be a valuable swing guy, but my guess is they bring him back at--what I hope at least--less than $7 from this year. Maybe 5. 

12 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

They won't cut Lorenzen. There seems to be a lot of mutual interest to bring him back. The thing is, he will not commit to anything besides starting...even though his arm clearly wasn't up to it this year. But the Angels seemed to have promised him something. He could be a valuable swing guy, but my guess is they bring him back at--what I hope at least--less than $7 from this year. Maybe 5. 

Just don’t really know who else you’d remove from the 40 man just so he can make a couple starts

Right now, I’d only DFA players who don’t have any realistic chance of helping the team beyond this season.

Those who fit that criteria include:

Jesse Chavez, Mike Mayers, Chad Wallach, Phil Gosselin, Jose Rojas, Andrew Velazquez, and Magneuris Sierra.

1 hour ago, eligrba said:

Who would take their spots? I would hate to relive some past mistakes of bringing up players before but they are ready. It seems like cutting anyone from the roster at this point would be because we are sick of watching them, which is not necessarily a good reason.

Valid question.

Anyone?

51 minutes ago, mmc said:

Just don’t really know who else you’d remove from the 40 man just so he can make a couple starts

That issue is still a month away. Plenty can happen by that point.

Someone else may clearly arise as a DFA candidate by then or someone may have a season-ending injury that can allow them to be put on the 60-day IL.

They aren’t gonna release Lorenzen. Perhaps the biggest reason why is it’d be a horrible look for the organization and would serve as a disincentive for a future free agent to sign with the Angels.

10 hours ago, Trendon said:

Right now, I’d only DFA players who don’t have any realistic chance of helping the team beyond this season.

Those who fit that criteria include:

Jesse Chavez, Mike Mayers, Chad Wallach, Phil Gosselin, Jose Rojas, Andrew Velazquez, and Magneuris Sierra.

I wouldn't dump Velazquez....his defense is enough to keep him around while the FO works on who the middle infielders will be next year....Sierra hasn't been bad....he gives you some speed and defense and a little bit of offense....not sure he is worth a 40 man spot though.....

37 minutes ago, DMVol said:

I wouldn't dump Velazquez....his defense is enough to keep him around while the FO works on who the middle infielders will be next year....Sierra hasn't been bad....he gives you some speed and defense and a little bit of offense....not sure he is worth a 40 man spot though.....

You can always drop Sierra later.

2 hours ago, DMVol said:

Velazquez is absolutely worth keeping as like the 25th or 26th guy on your roster if for nothing more than late inning defense, bunting, and pinch-running. They just need to have everyday infielders on the roster ahead of him, and at least one bench infielder ahead of him to keep him from accruing too many at-bats. 

Sierra is basically same deal. In the little bit I've seen, his speed, defense, and base-running are enough to have him as the fifth outfielder, if your 26-man roster allows carrying that. It's hard to say what the late-2022 or 2023 rosters will look like, but if you can have those guys in those last two spots on the roster, it's a good scenario.

I don't think Sierra or Velazquez will have options for 2023 which is their biggest knock, as you'd hope to have optionable guys on the MLB roster for those situations where you need some flexibility. Otherwise, they fill their expected roles perfectly. Personally, I think Livan Soto, who is R5 eligible and if added would have options, could give you pretty similar production that Velazquez offers.

Edited by totdprods

38 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Too early to look at who has to be protected next year?

Some notables who are R5 eligible...

Catchers: Anthony Mulrine, Logan O'Hoppe
Infielders: Jeremiah Jackson, Livan Soto, Kevin Maitan
Outfielders: Orlando Martinez, Torii Jr., Jordyn Adams and D'Shawn Knowles (maybe why Marsh was easier to move on from, as both have speed/defense to offer)
Pitchers: Ryan Smith, Brent Killam, Zach Linginfelter, Kolton Ingram, Jack Dashwood, Connor Higgins, Jose Salvador, Robinson Pina

I could see Robinson Pina maybe getting a late-season promotion to get a couple MLB innings ahead of stepping into the MLB relief depth charts for 2023, other than that I don't see anyone really threatening for an MLB audition that would necessitate bumping anyone from the 40.

Edited by totdprods

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I don’t understand the premise of this thread. Teams aren’t thinking about which players that someone else DFA’s can help them in the playoffs. 

The next real 40-man roster deadline is in November when you have to set it for the Rule 5 draft. 

Jeff, you have to understand most sit up nights thinking about new thread. In the morning Price Is Right is showing reruns, so many have a lot of time to fill in. Will Canning and Chris Rod be in Arizona this winter doing rehab? Is that a mandatory for them to do?

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I don’t understand the premise of this thread. Teams aren’t thinking about which players that someone else DFA’s can help them in the playoffs. 

The next real 40-man roster deadline is in November when you have to set it for the Rule 5 draft. 

I mean I never said that there was any type of deadline, this thread is just about how you would create 40 man spots to give looks to players in the organization in August and September who aren't currently on it.  The only reason I mentioned August is because I think it's better to do it now so that anyone waived/DFA'd can still have that eligibility after they leave the organization, not because I think we have to do it by then, or because I think teams are actively thinking about who will be getting DFA'd at this time.

3 minutes ago, mmc said:

I mean I never said that there was any type of deadline, this thread is just about how you would create 40 man spots to give looks to players in the organization in August and September who aren't currently on it.  The only reason I mentioned August is because I think it's better to do it now so that anyone waived/DFA'd can still have that eligibility after they leave the organization, not because I think we have to do it by then, or because I think teams are actively thinking about who will be getting DFA'd at this time.

Eligibility so that they can do the DFA'd players a favor and play in the postseason?