• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

A’s claim David MacKinnon off waivers

mmc

Losing MacKinnon shouldn’t be a big deal, but it moves like these that make me question the Angels process.

Like why was he DFA’d over guys like Wallach and Thomas?

Again, I’m not necessarily concerned about losing MacKinnon, but I am concerned about the process that led the Angels to deem him more expendable than other (less valuable) players on the 40.

10 hours ago, Trendon said:

Losing MacKinnon shouldn’t be a big deal, but it moves like these that make me question the Angels process.

Like why was he DFA’d over guys like Wallach and Thomas?

Again, I’m not necessarily concerned about losing MacKinnon, but I am concerned about the process that led the Angels to deem him more expendable than other (less valuable) players on the 40.

Some of it has to do with who they think is less likely to get claimed. 

7 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Some of it has to do with who they think is less likely to get claimed. 

A player who has obliterated the minors and has 3 option years remaining seems more likely to get claimed than a guy who has cleared waivers before (Wallach) or a guy who was a minor league free agent signing prior to this season (Thomas).

I do admit I’m probably biased towards MacKinnon since I followed him as he came up the Angels system unlike guys from other orgs like Wallach and Thomas.

10 minutes ago, Trendon said:

A player who has obliterated the minors and has 3 option years remaining seems more likely to get claimed than a guy who has cleared waivers before (Wallach) or a guy who was a minor league free agent signing prior to this season (Thomas).

I do admit I’m probably biased towards MacKinnon since I followed him as he came up the Angels system unlike guys from other orgs like Wallach and Thomas.

No one claimed Jose Rojas. And he actually showed more in the majors than MacKinnon did. 

Rojas, MacKinnon, Thomas, Wallach, Chavez, Toussaint, Velzaquez, Wade, Gosselin, Sierra, Suzuki, Lagares, Villar, Mayfield, Harrison, Duffy.   

Whatever.  A huge chunk of the 40 man needs to be revised.  If they piece together a similar collection of appearances they're screwed.  

There's a crap ton of roster fodder and they better hope they can do better than just about every guy we're talking about.  

31 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

Rojas, MacKinnon, Thomas, Wallach, Chavez, Toussaint, Velzaquez, Wade, Gosselin, Sierra, Suzuki, Lagares, Villar, Mayfield, Harrison, Duffy.   

Whatever.  A huge chunk of the 40 man needs to be revised.  If they piece together a similar collection of appearances they're screwed.  

There's a crap ton of roster fodder and they better hope they can do better than just about every guy we're talking about.  

Now would be a great time for an expansion draft... lol

Let's be honest, the Angels could protect 15-20 guys, lose the rest and we'd pretty much not notice a thing.

5 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

That was part of my reasoning behind selling a piece or two at the deadline in what was obviously a strong seller’s market, especially one for acquiring MLB-ready talent and young, controllable players.

As much as I get it makes sense holding onto players as good as Sandoval and Ward and Rengifo and as useful as Barria, Stassi, Walsh, and Quijada, peeling off one or two or three of those names would’ve gone a long way to kicking those names you listed off the 40 or further down the depth, with at least more upside, and without probably hurting our already slim 2023 chances had we kept whoever we dealt.

We really need to improve about 15 names on the roster this winter or else it’ll be the same story I fear.

Edited by totdprods

14 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

No one claimed Jose Rojas. And he actually showed more in the majors than MacKinnon did. 

Rojas had a .576 OPS in AAA in 2022 when he was DFA’d.

MacKinnon had a 1.060 OPS in AAA in 2022 when he was DFA’d.

Rojas is also 2 years older.

52 minutes ago, Trendon said:

Rojas had a .576 OPS in AAA in 2022 when he was DFA’d.

MacKinnon had a 1.060 OPS in AAA in 2022 when he was DFA’d.

Rojas is also 2 years older.

neither is very good and both are too old to be considered prospects.  Neither player is likely to even stick as a replacement player.  We have a ton of placeholders just like them.  They should go too.  The problem is that half the at bats for the entire season or close to it have come from replacement or below replacement players.  They better figure out how to fix this.  We shouldn't need to debate as to whether we should keep any of these guys.  Because a good team doesn't have 27-29 year old AAAA players getting a third of a seasons worth of PA.  

9 hours ago, totdprods said:

That was part of my reasoning behind selling a piece or two at the deadline in what was obviously a strong seller’s market, especially one for acquiring MLB-ready talent and young, controllable players.

As much as I get it makes sense holding onto players as good as Sandoval and Ward and Rengifo and as useful as Barria, Stassi, Walsh, and Quijada, peeling off one or two or three of those names would’ve gone a long way to kicking those names you listed off the 40 or further down the depth, with at least more upside, and without probably hurting our already slim 2023 chances had we kept whoever we dealt.

We really need to improve about 15 names on the roster this winter or else it’ll be the same story I fear.

My head was kinda where yours is but it's slowly shifting to something completely different and I don't think people will like it but I'll probably create a new thread.