• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Current committed 2023 tax threshold payroll

Just now, Hubs said:

He's 2-3 years away minimum. There are holes at both MINF spots. 

Jackson will be up before Neto.

He is not close, but I can't see us signing a SS to a 5+ year deal, which is what a lot of these high-end guys will require.

We do have a decent amount of cash, and I imagine we will see that largely allocated towards pitching.  High AAV, shorter team deals, maybe.

Our rotation, for now, is Ohtani, Sandoval, Detmers, and ..??

A lot of guys who can fill that role, but nothing really certain - we will likely need to sign 2 guys to fill rotation holes, as the rest of the young guys develop.  And we also need a closer now, too..

1 minute ago, Warfarin said:

He is not close, but I can't see us signing a SS to a 5+ year deal, which is what a lot of these high-end guys will require.

We do have a decent amount of cash, and I imagine we will see that largely allocated towards pitching.  High AAV, shorter team deals, maybe.

A lot of guys who can fill that role, but nothing really certain - we will likely need to sign 2 guys to fill rotation holes, as the rest of the young guys develop.  And we also need a closer now, too..

Ohtani, Sandoval, Detmers (Suarez, Sisleth, Rodriguez, Canning, Bachman, Davidson, Junk, Barria, Etc.).

They need to get one veteran guy and I would think the frontrunner would be Noah Syndergaard. Three year deal say.

They need offense, and they have a lot of OF, DH is taken, so it's 1B (and cutting bait with Walsh or platooning him), they have Rendon, Rengifo, Fletcher scheduled to start in the infield with him.

12 minutes ago, Hubs said:

None of the rest of them will get anything over 2.5. Ward probably gets 2.5. The rest are basically 1M players tops. Sandoval I don't think will be eligible, but he could get 2-3. I guess. 

Say 35 then. I was figuring $25 for Ohtani. But forgot about Mookie.

You're underestimating all of the 1st-year arb guys.  Remember, the minimum salary is now $700K.  The average first year arb salary will be well north of $1M moving forward..

Just now, jsnpritchett said:

You're underestimating all of the 1st-year arb guys.  Remember, the minimum salary is now $700K.  The average first year arb salary will be well north of $1M moving forward..

Ward will get paid as a Super 2. Sandoval if eligible but probably won't get there. Walsh will get like 1.3, Barria 850k, Canning prob won't be eligible either.

Just now, Hubs said:

Ohtani, Sandoval, Detmers (Suarez, Sisleth, Rodriguez, Canning, Bachman, Davidson, Junk, Barria, Etc.).

They need to get one veteran guy and I would think the frontrunner would be Noah Syndergaard. Three year deal say.

They need offense, and they have a lot of OF, DH is taken, so it's 1B (and cutting bait with Walsh or platooning him), they have Rendon, Rengifo, Fletcher scheduled to start in the infield with him.

Truly baffled why anyone would want to re-sign Syndergaard to a multi-year contract and hope that he recovers his speed and stamina--all for the low, low price of $20M+ per year. 

7 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Unrelated, do you live in Singapore? Love the profile pic

1 minute ago, jsnpritchett said:

Truly baffled why anyone would want to re-sign Syndergaard to a multi-year contract and hope that he recovers his speed and stamina--all for the low, low price of $20M+ per year. 

Agreed. But my guess is the Angels will once again pretend that they're contending ahead of 2023 and do something stupid like sign him. Heck, he could pitch well and they'd still be a 90 loss team like this year

2 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I actually think they may just bring back Lorenzen. They have pitching depth. 

17 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

C-Rod has the potential to be better than anyone except Ohtani. I know he needs to stay healthy, but his stuff was electric when he pitched last year. They'll give all the young guys a shot to win a spot: Bachman, Bush, Silseth, Suarez, C-Rod, Canning, Barria, and now Tucker Davidson. If 2 of those guys take a spot (not that unrealistic), you need to sign 1 starter. 

15 minutes ago, Hubs said:

I agree that we have all sorts of options, but a lot of those guys you have listed are either unproven, injury prone, or have not done much so far with playing time.

If we legitimately want to contend, I would think you'd want at least one legit significant FA SP addition to pair with Ohtani at the top of the rotation.  So - Ohtani, SP2, Sandoval, Detmers, and then hope that you get two guys that emerge amidst all the options you listed.

Our bullpen, of course, also needs significant work, too.

I don't disagree that we need offensive support, too.  Truth be told, this team needs a lot of work, which is perhaps why we decided to trade Iglesias.  There's no need for an expensive closer on a 4 year deal when you aren't on the verge of contention.

11 minutes ago, Hubs said:

I actually think they may just bring back Lorenzen. They have pitching depth. 

5 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

I agree on this, but I'd like to see him figure stuff out the last 2 months. He got figured out pretty quickly and needs to adjust. If he can, they could do a lot worse with a #5-6 starter. 

Am I in Bizzaro World?  Have things gone completely off the rails during my two-month break?  Why in the world would anyone want Lorenzen back?  Seriously, I don't get it.  Neither Syndergaard nor Lorenzen did ANYTHING this season to suggest that they would be good candidates to sign for 2023 and beyond.  Anyone who thinks they did is delusional.

3 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

C-Rod has the potential to be better than anyone except Ohtani. I know he needs to stay healthy, but his stuff was electric when he pitched last year. They'll give all the young guys a shot to win a spot: Bachman, Bush, Silseth, Suarez, C-Rod, Canning, Barria, and now Tucker Davidson. If 2 of those guys take a spot (not that unrealistic), you need to sign 1 starter. 

I agree that they all have potential, but it's a lot of "if ..." for the moment.

I would not expect CRod to be a starter next year.  If he does start, I would expect his innings to be severely limited, given the litany of injuries he's had.  He has barely pitched in years.

But yeah, ideally, we could have 2 guys emerge out of all who you have listed.  It seems reasonable that should happen, but we'll see. 

35 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

I agree on this, but I'd like to see him figure stuff out the last 2 months. He got figured out pretty quickly and needs to adjust. If he can, they could do a lot worse with a #5-6 starter. 

I worry that Lorenzen is all upper body in his delivery.

Edited by Angel Oracle

Just now, Warfarin said:

I agree that we have all sorts of options, but a lot of those guys you have listed are either unproven, injury prone, or have not done much so far with playing time.

If we legitimately want to contend, I would think you'd want at least one legit significant FA SP addition to pair with Ohtani at the top of the rotation.  So - Ohtani, SP2, Sandoval, Detmers, and then hope that you get two guys that emerge amidst all the options you listed.

Agreed. One veteran SP, probably Syndergaard, if he'll come back. Or maybe Tailon. Or Lorenzen. The FA SP group is not deep.

1 minute ago, Warfarin said:

I agree that they all have potential, but it's a lot of "if ..." for the moment.

I would not expect CRod to be a starter next year.  If he does start, I would expect his innings to be severely limited, given the litany of injuries he's had.  He has barely pitched in years.

But yeah, ideally, we could have 2 guys emerge out of all who you have listed.  It seems reasonable that should happen, but we'll see. 

Exactly.  This is the 7th season since Rodriguez was drafted.  He has pitched a grand total of 127 2/3 innings in those 7 seasons--or, put another way, about 22 fewer innings than Sandy Alcantara has pitched so far this season alone.

2 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Am I in Bizzaro World?  Have things gone completely off the rails during my two-month break?  Why in the world would anyone want Lorenzen back?  Seriously, I don't get it.  Neither Syndergaard nor Lorenzen did ANYTHING this season to suggest that they would be good candidates to sign for 2023 and beyond.  Anyone who thinks they did is delusional.

Lorenzen won't cost much, the FA SP market is a joke in 2023, Probably resign on a 1 year deal. 

He's made 4 bad starts and 6 good ones, 3 ok ones, one he got pulled too early by the manager. Not spectacular ones but solid starts. For a few million, he's an asset.

5 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Exactly.  This is the 7th season since Rodriguez was drafted.  He has pitched a grand total of 127 2/3 innings in those 7 seasons--or, put another way, about 22 fewer innings than Sandy Alcantara has pitched so far this season alone.

Yeah.  I think if CRod pitches, he will likely be a reliever for us.  He has the stuff to close, so perhaps he could be a future closer.  Still, given his history, I think it would be a win for him to just complete a season at this point.

9 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Our bullpen, of course, also needs significant work, too.

I don't disagree that we need offensive support, too.  Truth be told, this team needs a lot of work, which is perhaps why we decided to trade Iglesias.  There's no need for an expensive closer on a 4 year deal when you aren't on the verge of contention.

Agreed. The bullpen needs work. However, Loup, Tepera are back, Bradley probably could be resigned, all have been not good, but relievers are volatile and they have been good in recent seasons. 

The lineup though, with a healthy Trout, Ohtani, and Rendon, Rengifo and Ward if they're hitting, has four question marks. Obviously the other four question marks and four bench spots are going to be filled by Adell, Fletcher, Walsh and an assortment of other players both internal and external. 

1 minute ago, Hubs said:

Lorenzen won't cost much, the FA SP market is a joke in 2023, Probably resign on a 1 year deal. 

He's made 4 bad starts and 6 good ones, 3 ok ones, one he got pulled too early by the manager. Not spectacular ones but solid starts. For a few million, he's an asset.

I'm willing to wager that Barria and probably a few other guys in AA/AAA could perform just as well, if not better, than Lorenzen next season for the minimum salary or just above it. 

Again, just truly baffled by people who want to re-sign mediocre-to-shitty players who've done nothing to help the Angels thus far, but for some inexplicable reason, think that they'll be better moving forward.  Lol.  Maybe I need to take another break if this is the state of things.