• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Heyman: Angels have decided to keep Shohei Ohtani

mmc

Just now, Trendon said:

“Angels owner Arte Moreno is believed unwilling to let Ohtani leave.”

Shocker.

Gonna be interesting to see what happens when Ohtani walks in free agency despite Arte Moreno wanting to keep him.

Past history tells us that when Arte misses out on a star he wanted, he pivots elsewhere (and ends up with a worse player on a horrible contract)

This quote in Heyman's article says it all.  Nothing about wanting to extend him, or wanting to win, but not wanting him to leave with the two other star players out because he knows there'd be no other reason for fans to go to the games

"Angels owner Arte Moreno is unwilling to let Ohtani leave, especially with the team’s two other stars – Mike Trout and Anthony Rendon – out with injuries. Ohtani has another year to go before he can become a free agent."

Just now, Trendon said:

Gonna be interesting to see what happens when Ohtani walks in free agency despite Arte Moreno wanting to keep him.

Past history tells us that when Arte misses out on a star he wanted, he pivots elsewhere (and ends up with a worse player on a horrible contract)

As opposed to the good contracts he's signed FA's too in the last 10 years....   Maybe if he just trusted his baseball ops more, or you know was willing to extend for someone who isn't the right guy, but is the guy they need right now...

3 minutes ago, Trendon said:

Keep spewing that narrative. 

We have no idea what the coming off season will look like.  It's possible that Moreno spends more to make the team better and convinces Ohtani to stay.  But we all see what we want to see.   Time will tell.

2 minutes ago, cals said:

The only thing that makes this the right decision is if Moreno opens the checkbook now.

Letting him walk or letting him and Trout wallow amongst mediocrity for the next decade are not acceptable options.

Frankly I think he is re-signed and then the Angels will still suck. 

This is the current Arte.  But what if tomorrows Arte sucks less ?? 

I'm pretty happy with this. I kept going through scenarios of different teams prospects/players coming our way for Shohei Ohtani and none of them really made me feel good with the return.

I truly believe that Arte will not only extend Ohtani but shock the world by adding some key players to help bolster the club's chances in 2023 and beyond. 

2 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I'm pretty happy with this. I kept going through scenarios of different teams prospects/players coming our way for Shohei Ohtani and none of them really made me feel good with the return.

I truly believe that Arte will not only extend Ohtani but shock the world by adding some key players to help bolster the club's chances in 2023 and beyond. 

Don't we always say this though? I'm afraid they're just going to say "we just need to stay healthy". 

I think Ohtani is worth as much in trade in the off season as he is at the deadline, in fact the offers may be better once teams decide how to approach 2023. It also give another complete year of prospect value evaluation, which were mirages and which are worth discussing.

I think it is a no lose situation for the Angels to wait, discuss with Ohtani his requirements to stay and what the Angels can do to keep him. If that can't be insured by the end of the winter meetings then open up the bidding before teams lock in their best free agent picks. 

The only ones truly upset about Ohtani not leaving, outside of the knee jerk reactions here, are the sportswriters that wanted the scoop and traffic to their websites. Ohtani staying kills the Ohtani talk until the off season where they can play the speculation game again but without a deadline most of those stories go unread.