• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Who is the real Taylor Ward?

Who is the real Taylor Ward?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think he hits in 2023?

• 2021 is his true talent level: .250/.332/.438, 111 wRC+
    • 2022 (overall) is his true talent level: .291/.380/.498, 150 wRC+
    • Somewhere between the two, maybe .270/.350/.460, 120-130 wRC+
    • A bit better than 2022 (or like 2022, but more power), maybe .290/.380/.550, 160+ wRC+
    • Early 2022, baby! .320/.430/.620, 180+ wRC+

a5b0ec69f69543da81dc963a51eb72b3.webp

Ward was hitting like Babe Ruth for his first few weeks, but then started stumbling, partially due to missed time and injury, most notably a concussion. But he's still putting up a robust .291/.380/.498 line on the year -- a 150 wRC+.

The question is, who is the real Taylor Ward? Obviously we don't know, but there are several options:

The 2021 version: .250/.332/.438, 111 wRC+.

The 2022 version: .291/.380/.498, 150 wRC+

The pre-concussion 2022 version (through June 3): .333/.443/.644, 205 wRC+ in 158 PA 

The post-concussion 2022 version: .248/.310/.349, 89 wRC+ in 142 PA

Or something else?

I think two things are true:

1. His early 2022 numbers weren't sustainable
  2. His post-concussion numbers are well below his true level

One could argue that his overall numbers in 2022 best represent his true ability, but some might feel that's optimistic. His lack of power is quite odd, with only 3 HR in those 142 PA.

Anyhow, what do you think? Or to put it differently, what do you expect to see from Ward next year?

I think the reasonable choice is "somewhere between the two," and am guessing most vote for that, but I'm going to be optimistic and voted for "a bit better than 2022 overall." Why? Two things:

• He was just too good early on, and for long enough (158 PA), for at least some of that to be real.
  • He obviously never recovered fully from the concussion - something has been off.

I mean, maybe he hits something more like .280/.370/.530...I could see that. But I think the power will return, and he'll hit 25+ HR. If healthy.

There's also a marked difference in his approach since his IL trip. Before, he'd get behind on counts and work it to his favor and either walk or make good contact. He is striking out now at a much higher rate. I have to think the injuries stifled some of his sharpness when it comes to recognizing pitches. I think he actually has an elite eye, but he's second guessing himself more now than he was early on. I don't think that part of his game was a fluke. Also, I think it was a reverse protection in a sense when it was Ward-Trout-Ohtani-Rendon early on. I think teams were throwing him junk to try and get him to chase instead of FBs in the zone to avoid walking him, like we usually see with guys in front of elite hitters. He was able to jump on fastballs. Now, he's seeing more FBs and he's not ready for them (as noted in Fletcher's article and some postgame comments). 

What do you think his ideal slot is if we have Trout, Ohtani, Rendon, Fletcher, Good SS, Walsh, Good Adell next year? I'd honestly keep him leadoff unless they get a SS that is ideally suited to lead off. 

Ward
Trout
Ohtani
Rendon
SS (hope)
Walsh
Adell
Stassi
Fletcher

Seems obvious that he’s not a top 5 bat in baseball.  I don’t think that many people really expected that to keep up.  Still, I think we’ve probably seen to enough to accept that he’s a reasonable everyday player.  Which is pretty good.  He’s cost controlled for now and that’s good.  He could get hot and be an all star.  Pretty valuable.  

like everything else with the team the angels need to figure out pretty quickly what they’re trying to do in the next several years. 

Ward is a human being, like every other player, and is thus fallible. He's had hot streaks and slumps, but I see nothing in his overall line this year, or in his deeper numbers to suggest that his performance this season is completely unsustainable. 

In Ward, it appears the Angels have developed or lucked upon themselves a very solid starting outfielder. The only thing I'd do different at this point is I'd give him a 1B glove or infield mitt and play him as a corner infielder, to make room for Adell and Marsh in the outfield this year. Let them fail and adjust so that the whole team can experience greater success in 2023.

34 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

He didn’t have a concussion. He had a shoulder/neck injury. 

Right, is that neck stinger something that stays with you until not playing for a real extended time, like the off-season?

Since June 1, 154 PAs have only produced 4 doubles and 3 HRs.

Edited by Angel Oracle

1 hour ago, ThisismineScios said:

There's also a marked difference in his approach since his IL trip. Before, he'd get behind on counts and work it to his favor and either walk or make good contact. He is striking out now at a much higher rate. I have to think the injuries stifled some of his sharpness when it comes to recognizing pitches. I think he actually has an elite eye, but he's second guessing himself more now than he was early on. I don't think that part of his game was a fluke. Also, I think it was a reverse protection in a sense when it was Ward-Trout-Ohtani-Rendon early on. I think teams were throwing him junk to try and get him to chase instead of FBs in the zone to avoid walking him, like we usually see with guys in front of elite hitters. He was able to jump on fastballs. Now, he's seeing more FBs and he's not ready for them (as noted in Fletcher's article and some postgame comments). 

What do you think his ideal slot is if we have Trout, Ohtani, Rendon, Fletcher, Good SS, Walsh, Good Adell next year? I'd honestly keep him leadoff unless they get a SS that is ideally suited to lead off. 

Ward
Trout
Ohtani
Rendon
SS (hope)
Walsh
Adell
Stassi
Fletcher

Depends on who that SS is. If its Trea Turner, I'd love to see him bat 1st, like so:

Turner - Trout - Ohtani - Rendon - Ward - Walsh - Adell - Stassi - Fletcher/Rengifo*

*I also like the idea of Rengifo starting and Fletcher being a super UT.

If it isn't turner but either Rengifo/Fletcher or some ok free agent or trade, then Ward 1st.

59 minutes ago, T.G. said:

Why does anyone have to label him now? Time will tell. 

I mean, of course, but...this is a baseball discussion board to discuss, you know, baseball.

Option 3- somewhere in between the two.

That’s what I would’ve said entering the season. I thought he could improve from his 2021, but I certainly didn’t think that massive 2-month stretch would occur.

18 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

*I also like the idea of Rengifo starting and Fletcher being a super UT.

I think this setup, with a legitimate starting SS is a necessity considering the futility of Fletcher/Rengifo and the injury concerns with Rendon.

Ideally, I think you add a legitimate starting 2B AND SS with Fletcher and Rengifo on the bench as super-utility options to increase the floor and depth of the roster.

1 minute ago, Trendon said:

I think this setup, with a legitimate starting SS is a necessity considering the futility of Fletcher/Rengifo and the injury concerns with Rendon.

Ideally, I think you add a legitimate starting 2B AND SS with Fletcher and Rengifo on the bench as super-utility options to increase the floor and depth of the roster.

I think the way Rengifo is playing you put him at 2B. The problem at SS could you sign a Bogaerts or Trea Turner

1 hour ago, ThisismineScios said:

I think he either needs to be leadoff or like 6th.

Maybe 5th. Definitely not 2-3-4, as I think he’s not as comfortable there.

1 minute ago, Angels 1961 said:

I think the way Rengifo is playing you put him at 2B. The problem at SS could you sign a Bogaerts or Trea Turner

It’ll likely be Rengifo at 2B and Fletcher at SS for the rest of this season, with the better performer likely being the starting 2B.

3 minutes ago, Trendon said:

It’ll probably take a killer last 65 games from Rengifo to give him 2B over Fletcher. I think his power, speed, and lack of Ks is more valuable than Fletcher’s D but they’ll go with Fletcher unless Rengifo really opens eyes. I would be ok with him as our starting 2B next year if we have a better SS. I will not be ok if we think going into the season with Fletcher/Rengifo in the middle is good enough. It’s not. 

Just now, Trendon said:

I like this idea on face value, of course, but I'm starting to believe in Rengifo. I mean, it isn't just his season numbers--which are now at 100 wRC+--but the fact that he's hit much better than that over the last month or so. At what point does he earn a regular gig?

The point being, I'd like to see how he finishes the year. If he finishes around .270/.330/.420, he's a cheap and good option. After the frontline free agents (Turner, Bogaerts, Swanson), is there anyone that good? Why spend $8-12M/year when you can get the same performance for Rengifo's $1-2M (or whatever it will be)?

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

At what point does he earn a regular gig?

If he keeps this performance up through the end of the season, he very well might earn a regular gig— but I’m not handing him the job until he at least does that.

9 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Right, is that neck stinger something that stays with you until not playing for a real extended time, like the off-season?

Since June 1, 154 PAs have only produced 4 doubles and 3 HRs.

He said it reduced his strength temporarily, but it was more something that affected his throwing than his hitting because the nerve got pinched when your raise your arm, and you don’t hit with your arms raised. So, in theory, it shouldn’t have had an impact. 

maybe just missing live pitching for 5 days or something hurt him. 

Maybe teams pitched him differently. 

Maybe his approach changed as the team struggled and he put pressure on himself. 

Maybe all of the above.