• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Joe Maddon sees improvement in Angels infielder Luis Rengifo

ANAHEIM — Joe Maddon conceded that Luis Rengifo stands apart from the other players the Angels have tried in the middle infield this season.

Rengifo is the one with the potential to be the best player, even though he hasn’t shown it yet.

“Anybody that came up and scouted for the first time would look up the middle and say who’s that,” Maddon said of Rengifo. “Plus, he’s a switch hitter. He’s got a fine arm, runs well. There’s nothing to not like about the way he plays. It’s just that his game has been a little bit sporadic.”

Rengifo, 25, has bounced between the majors and Triple-A for the past four seasons, confounding the staff all along. His numbers in the minors have always been good, but so far in the majors, he’s produced a .622 OPS.

During his current stint, which began earlier this month, he posted a .732 OPS, to go with a .304 batting average and a .385 on-base percentage in his first nine games. That’s well above average in this year of suppressed offense.

It’s too early to know if he’s finally figuring things out, but Maddon is encouraged.

“I think he looks better, I think his game’s matured a bit,” Maddon said. “That’s the best way to describe it.”

The knock on Rengifo has often been mental mistakes. This week in Texas he tried to make an overly aggressive throw when he perhaps should have held on to the ball, leading to an error. He also cut in front of shortstop Andrew Velazquez when he should have let Velazquez make the play.

“I know we had that little miscommunication on the ground ball the other day but overall, I think there’s a higher level of maturity to his game,” Maddon said. “It’s slowed down a little bit. It’s not as quick. Some really good at-bats. Good at-bats and good moments.”

There is an extended opportunity for Rengifo because David Fletcher is out for another two months or so after having hip surgery.

“He’s a great listener,” Maddon said of Rengifo. “He accepts constructive criticism well. He doesn’t wince and cry. He doesn’t do that stuff. He keeps battling through it. Eventually, he’s going to become a really good, possibly everyday, second baseman.”

REHABBING

Catcher Max Stassi, who had been on the COVID-related injured list, on Saturday will play the first of at least two rehab games at Class-A Inland Empire.

Stassi said he felt sick for “three or four days” and he believed he had lost a little weight. He said he expected to play a couple of games and then be re-evaluated.

He was set to catch right-hander Archie Bradley and left-hander José Quijada, who both are rehabbing oblique injuries.

Catcher Kurt Suzuki, who was also on the COVID-related injured list, was on the field working out with Stassi and the other catchers on Friday, but he has not been scheduled for a rehab assignment yet.

ROSTER SHUFFLING

The Angels activated utility man Jose Rojas from the Triple-A injured list, which meant he had to be added back to the 40-man roster. Players on the COVID-related injured list do not count against the 40-man roster.

The Angels cleared a 40-man spot when infielder Brendon Davis was lost to the Detroit Tigers, who claimed him on waivers. Davis, 24, originally came to the Angels in the minor league Rule 5 draft, and he hit .290 with a .923 OPS in 2021, peaking at Triple-A. This season Davis had a .797 OPS at Triple-A.

RELIEF HELP?

The Angels are nearing a deal with veteran left-handed reliever Grant Dayton, according to Fansided’s Robert Murray. Dayton just opted out of a minor-league deal with the Miami Marlins after posting a 2.35 ERA at Triple-A.

Dayton, 34, has spent parts of five seasons in the majors with the Dodgers and Atlanta Braves. Last season he had a 6.23 ERA in 13 games with the Braves.

Dayton has held lefties to a .169 average in his career.

UP NEXT

Angels (RHP Michael Lorenzen, 4-2, 3.57) vs. A’s (RHP Frankie Montas, 2-4, 3.67), Saturday, 6:07 p.m., Bally Sports West, 830 AM

View the full article

Rengifo deserves a chance. He has pretty solid skills across the board, and as evidenced by his physical maturity since trading for him when he was 21, he's a hard worker. 

If given a full time job, in his physical prime, I think Rengifo could hit .290 with 15 HR and 15 SB to go along with solid up the middle defense. And at 25, his prime isn't far off. 

Better to get him into the lineup everyday now. 

36 minutes ago, HeavenlyHalos said:

His plate discipline seems to be the biggest change I can tell. Seemed like he was always up there hacking in the past. 

He's always been pretty patient. His career OBP is 77 points above his batting average. He is making more contact so far this year though, which may speak to a better overall approach.

I haven’t been his biggest fan but Rengifo looks to have taken a couple of steps forward. Both offensively and defensively. With Ward having his breakout season maybe Rengifo will follow along. What a wonderful surprise for this team and us fans  

Luis Rengifo is 25.  In 2019 he had 400 AB’s and as a rookie produced an OPS+ of 82.  Which isn’t great but also is fine for a 22 year old getting his first stint in the big leagues.  He did have a an OBP of .321.  Which isn’t bad at all.  

In parts of the next two years he had around 300 AB’s total.  And the numbers were bad.  Some of this you can attribute to being a young player, a good bit of it you can just attribute to him not playing well and it’s probably fair to assign some of it to inconsistent opportunity to play. 

when you watch the guy play you can see the tools.  That doesn’t always translate to success but it was always stupid for people to be as down on him as they were.  We’ll see where he goes from here but I think there’s definitely a lot of reason to be optimistic about him. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

54 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I am so down on Fletcher that in the off season I posted that Rengifo would put up better offensive numbers than Fletch this year.  That opinion wasn’t well received. 

Sometimes unpopular opinions are correct.

Like a certain burger restaurant’s fries being ‘meh’.

15 minutes ago, cals said:

Sometimes unpopular opinions are correct.

Like a certain burger restaurant’s fries being ‘meh’.

Yes. Sometimes unpopular opinions are correct.  Other times they are less correct.  Also I think certain burger places fries being meh is a popular opinion.