• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

If Syndergaard maintains this quality of pitching, what will his market value be?

I am curious, at one time do we start looking at signing an extension with him, and if we do, what do you think it will look like?  Also, does anyone have any concern about his drop in velocity?  It's fine where it is now, but do you also have concerns that it will continue to drop precipitously over the next couple of years like it did for Bundy, and others like him? 

Gonna be pretty difficult signing Syndergaard and Ohtani to extensions on top of what they’re paying Trout and Rendon. It’s not impossible but they start playing with payroll fire if they add another $50m in guaranteed money to two guys right after dropping Upton and Pujols.

Real tough call on Syndergaard. I’ve sort of committed myself to the notion that he’s just a hired gun for a year. 

14 minutes ago, failos said:

It’s too early to tell. The Angels should re-sign him after Ohtani instead of waiting until the offseason.

The time to sign Syndergaard to a long term deal was when they signed him to a one year contract. That ship has sailed. Once he established he could pitch at a high level his market value exceeded the Angels practical budget and now is going to be looking at a Cole type contract and Houston is going to be there to offer it. 

Market is always fluctuating so lord only knows what it will be like this offseason. The best scenario would be that we want to sign him again no ifs, ands, or buts because that will mean he had a fantastic season. On the flip side of that though, we can't/won't get crazy with it.

Just now, Blarg said:

The time to sign Syndergaard to a long term deal was when they signed him to a one year contract. That ship has sailed. Once he established he could pitch at a high level his market value exceeded the Angels practical budget and now is going to be looking at a Cole type contract and Houston is going to be there to offer it. 

I know money talks, but Noah seems to like playing for the Angels quite a bit. I think there’s a chance he’ll get re-signed. How else is this team going to remain competitive against the Yanks, Mets, Dodgers, Jays, etc…?

There’s no way the Angels won’t at least try to re-sign him.

12 minutes ago, failos said:

Let’s not forget that the Angels were in the running to sign Cole to a huge contract. They are not averse to offering big bucks to pitchers.

Rendon wasn't on the payroll and Ohtani wasn't back from Tommy John surgery. This is not the same situation. 

Noah is from Mansfield, Texas. That's a stone's throw from Arlington. I think either the Astros or Rangers are emptying their saddlebags for him.

9 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Rendon wasn't on the payroll and Ohtani wasn't back from Tommy John surgery. This is not the same situation. 

Noah is from Mansfield, Texas. That's a stone's throw from Arlington. I think either the Astros or Rangers are emptying their saddlebags for him.

What the hell are the rangers doing? 

they dumped all that money into Semien and Seagar only to lose 100 games lol I don’t see them continuing to add to payroll unless they see a solid core of young players form. 

9 minutes ago, Blarg said:

I expect this too. The Angels made perfect sense for him to build back value leading a staff and benefiting from a 6-man rotation to ease him back. That won’t be necessary (also wouldn’t eliminate) him this off-season.

I think the likeliest scenario is the Angels trade for another quality arm this summer - maybe frontline, maybe solid #3 - who has more than 2023 under contract and count that arm and development from within as the ‘replacement’ for Thor. 

And I imagine they sign another Lorenzen/Cobb-type guy this winter, if not re-signing Lorenzen to a 2-3 year deal worth $10-13m AAV.

5 minutes ago, TroutField said:

they dumped all that money into Semien and Seagar only to lose 100 games lol I don’t see them continuing to add to payroll unless they see a solid core of young players form. 

They’re banking on it making sense more around 2023-2024 and beyond.

Still pretty weird. I imagine they didn’t realize they’d be as bad as they have been and are desperately trying to get people into the new stadium.

10 minutes ago, TroutField said:

Look at their total payroll this season and projected forward. They have the money to spend. 

Just now, Blarg said:

Look at their total payroll this season and projected forward. They have the money to spend. 

Didnt they watch the Angels go this route the past 10 years? 

Guess these teams never learn free agency is there to supplement your team, not build it. 

6 minutes ago, totdprods said:

They’re banking on it making sense more around 2023-2024 and beyond.

Still pretty weird. I imagine they didn’t realize they’d be as bad as they have been and are desperately trying to get people into the new stadium.

Half of the league looks bad right now. The strike threw everyone's schedule off, even Ohtani has sucked at the plate to start the season. I don't see Ohtani running with a mid 700 ops the rest of the year and the same goes with Semien and Seagar.

Are people going to be willing to throw tons of money at Thor if his velocity doesn’t come back? 

his FIP is 3.35 so it points to him being a little lucky so far, that paired with the strikeout numbers being under where he usually is. I can see a few teams having reservations of throwing a huge contract at him.

7 minutes ago, TroutField said:

Didnt they watch the Angels go this route the past 10 years? 

Guess these teams never learn free agency is there to supplement your team, not build it. 

Where were the Angels at with a developed team when they offered Cole a contract? 

3 minutes ago, TroutField said:

Are people going to be willing to throw tons of money at Thor if his velocity doesn’t come back? 

his FIP is 3.35 so it points to him being a little lucky so far, that paired with the strikeout numbers being under where he usually is. I can see a few teams having reservations of throwing a huge contract at him.

He can pitch. There is the difference between a guy that has velocity and one that is successful. See Zack Greinke's career for reference. 

No, we will not.  We will likely give Ohtani (either this offseason or next) a humongous contract, and will have 3 players on the payroll that combine for somewhere between 100-110 million per year.

The FO will likely continue to do similar deals to what we saw last offseason - sign a SP to a 1 or (at most) 2 year deal.  

Entering next season, we have Ohtani, Sandoval, Detmers, Suarez (?), Canning (?), as well as Diaz and Junk to fill out the roster.  We also have a number of promising recent draft picks in AA (Bush, Bachman, Kerry, Silseth, Crow) who will probably finish off the year in AAA and be ready sometime during the 2023 season.  

I would envision us trying to find someone else "like" Syndergaard next offseason (1 year "prove it" deal at a high AAV), so that in case they bomb, it won't harm the long-term payroll.

2 hours ago, totdprods said:

Gonna be pretty difficult signing Syndergaard and Ohtani to extensions on top of what they’re paying Trout and Rendon. It’s not impossible but they start playing with payroll fire if they add another $50m in guaranteed money to two guys right after dropping Upton and Pujols.

Real tough call on Syndergaard. I’ve sort of committed myself to the notion that he’s just a hired gun for a year. 

If that's so, who can we get to replace him next year?

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

Where were the Angels at with a developed team when they offered Cole a contract? 

I thought Cole always wanted to sign with the Yankees.  My guess is that Syndergaard might turn out to be the same story.