• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Tradez

6 hours ago, Second Base said:

Velasquez saved Shohei's shutout today with his elite defensive skill set, and Tyler Wade is the fastest white boy since Trout and Bourjos were in their early 20's. And Rengifo looks very good in AAA, and I'm hearing that a handful of teams, including the Dodgers, expressed interest in him at the end of Spring Training. I honestly think there's something there and he can be good. 

I'm not saying don't make a trade, I'm just saying we're getting value and depth at SS in different ways. 

I still have hope for Rengifo becoming a solid contributor.  I don't know how he is right now defensively - not sure if he could potentially be a starting SS, or if he is being viewed as perhaps more of a utility guy that moves around the diamond.

There's this:  Also this:  https://nypost.com/2022/04/13/red-sox-far-apart-in-xander-bogaerts-rafael-devers-contract-talks/

My guess is he thinks the Sox are unwilling to pay him market rate,  feels insulted, and so he opts out and signs a big long-term deal - elsewhere.   Then again, Sox fans will be very disappointed if they don't make an effort.

OTOH, he'll be 30, he benefits from Fenway (away OPS is over 100 points less than home), and while I'm sure he'd get Seager / Correa money, I'd be cautious - like 5/160.  

That's for another team - we need to extend Ohtani, not chase a guy who'll always be a Red Sox player in his heart.

35 minutes ago, DCAngelsFan said:

OTOH, he'll be 30, he benefits from Fenway (away OPS is over 100 points less than home), and while I'm sure he'd get Seager / Correa money, I'd be cautious - like 5/160.  

That's for another team - we need to extend Ohtani, not chase a guy who'll always be a Red Sox player in his heart.

This.

If Arte doesn't want to spend $250 million on payroll (his money, that's fine), we don't need another huge position player contract. Spend it on Ohtani San.

9 hours ago, Lou said:

Huh? It would only work because he can opt out? 

I don't think the Red Sox would make that trade if Bogaerts didn't have an opt out, while they might do it because he does. Bogaerts is an established star in his prime on a relatively low contract, controlled for four more years (including 2022) - which should take him through the rest of his prime. 

I don't know if the trade value accounts for the opt out clause, though.

I'd rather keep with Velazquez and get him better hitting instruction. He has been showing elite fielding skills and will cost next to nothing for four more years. He is what the minor leagues is for, filling needs inexpensively so you can focus monies on irreplaceable players like Trout and Ohtani and still have budget left over.

In two years the Angels need to develop a 3rd base replacement for Rendon. In four probably replacing Fletcher. The outfield has plenty of depth. The pitching staff could go any which way with the minors providing from the 2021 draft or struggling for those elusive mid rotation arms without one year contracts. 

But throwing money at Bogaerts is exactly the move they have to avoid. 

4 hours ago, Warfarin said:

I still have hope for Rengifo becoming a solid contributor.  I don't know how he is right now defensively - not sure if he could potentially be a starting SS, or if he is being viewed as perhaps more of a utility guy that moves around the diamond.

If you look at his opportunities, he is a lot like Ward.  Outside of his first year, where he was solid, he hasn't had consistent at bats.

I would have to believe the Angels could figure out how to trade for an upgrade at shortstop without having to pursue a superstar that would cost a ton of talent and would likely walk at the end of the year.

Velasquez just can’t hit.  Can they survive a zero bat shortstop?  I guess maybe if you have to?

But there is really no good reason to just sit back satisfied with Velasquez instead of actively looking for somebody that plays good defense that is not a zero bat player.

I would be more interested in trying to identify a player that just has a modestly contributing bat could be acquired for a more reasonable price.

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

I'd rather keep with Velazquez and get him better hitting instruction. He has been showing elite fielding skills and will cost next to nothing for four more years. He is what the minor leagues is for, filling needs inexpensively so you can focus monies on irreplaceable players like Trout and Ohtani and still have budget left over.

In two years the Angels need to develop a 3rd base replacement for Rendon. In four probably replacing Fletcher. The outfield has plenty of depth. The pitching staff could go any which way with the minors providing from the 2021 draft or struggling for those elusive mid rotation arms without one year contracts. 

But throwing money at Bogaerts is exactly the move they have to avoid. 

I would normally agree with this, and take a Stonemanian approach to hoarding prospects and younger players, but this might be the rare case where I'd make this sort of move. Bogaerts would be replacing a lot of playing time by replacement level and worse players - he probably would improve the team's win-loss record by 3-4 games if they made that trade now. The lineup would go from very good to great.

Not to mention that guys like Adell, Barria, etc, are somewhat extra to what the Angels need over the next two or three years. I mean, we focus on Adell's issues, but what do they do if and when he starts playing well? Trade Ward? Walsh? Demote Marsh to 4OF?

Of course I wouldn't make that trade on July 31 - that's too much to give up for two months of Bogearts, and by then the Angels might be able to get Bogaerts for less. But if they could do that right now, or in the next two or three weeks, I'd at least be very tempted. 

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

I don't think the Red Sox would make that trade if Bogaerts didn't have an opt out, while they might do it because he does. Bogaerts is an established star in his prime on a relatively low contract, controlled for four more years (including 2022) - which should take him through the rest of his prime. 

I don't know if the trade value accounts for the opt out clause, though.

Yeah, I agree with that. I was talking about from our point of view. 

Mr. Trades here. I'm still very content with this club right now and don't think need to really weigh any trades yet. 

Willie Calhoun and Dinelson Lamet could be interesting guys to add to the mix and could be on their way out on their teams, but unless the Angels could nab either for a middling, redundant prospect or someone on fringe of the 40 without any clear utility, like Rojas, Barria, then I don't see much need presently to tip the apple cart. 

Keep these guys together and wait to see what clear upgrades are needed come July to make this team as playoff-proof as possible.

28 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Mr. Trades here. I'm still very content with this club right now and don't think need to really weigh any trades yet. 

Willie Calhoun and Dinelson Lamet could be interesting guys to add to the mix and could be on their way out on their teams, but unless the Angels could nab either for a middling, redundant prospect or someone on fringe of the 40 without any clear utility, like Rojas, Barria, then I don't see much need presently to tip the apple cart. 

Keep these guys together and wait to see what clear upgrades are needed come July to make this team as playoff-proof as possible.

I do not trade Barria for those 2. Let's see what Barria does tonight plus his value in pen so far has been very good. Long relief in pen that can go 3 to 5 inn saves your bullpen. He may end up in rotation as Suarez and Detmers have not shown much so far.

5 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

I do not trade Barria for those 2. Let's see what Barria does tonight plus his value in pen so far has been very good. Long relief in pen that can go 3 to 5 inn saves your bullpen. He may end up in rotation as Suarez and Detmers have not shown much so far.

It's more a reflection of how Barria hasn't really been used than what I actually think of his value and utility to the club. 

The org seems to have him close to the bottom of the 40-man. I'd love to see him stick in the rotation, but if the club is just going to use him as a Noe Ramirez mop-up guy and rarely used spot starter, he may be worth more in a trade and the Angels using optionable guys in that SP role (Daniel, Diaz, Junk, Rosenberg) instead. Not what I'd do. But no complaints. They're winning.

On one hand, Barria is a bit under-appreciated and is a bit more important with Suarez being sent down. On the other hand, I'm not sure that Diaz or Daniel couldn't fill a similar role.

Still, I'm not sure why the Angels aren't using him more.