• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: Angels @ White Sox (5/1/22): Lorenzen on the mound, Adell back in the lineup

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

So people actually think Adell should have caught that ball off the bat of Harrison in the 9th?

Given how sloppy the field was he probably should have taken it off the hop and held the runner at first. On dry turf conditions he gets better traction and gets to the ball quicker. Part of the learning curve. Fletcher should also have fielded the throw cleanly and that would have resulted in the runner being tagged out. So the impression is Adell made two mistakes instead of just one. 

3 hours ago, Stradling said:

So people actually think Adell should have caught that ball off the bat of Harrison in the 9th?

The Chi announcers said Adell 'broke back' on the play. No way for us to see his jump on tv as the camera switch was too late.

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/angels-vs-white-sox/2022/05/01/661531#game_state=live,game_tab=videos,game=661531,lock_state=live

Statcast has that hit with an xBA (expected batting average) of only .340, meaning 66% of similar balls are outs. With the sloppy field I think it would have been a difficult catch even with a good break.

2 hours ago, Blarg said:

Given how sloppy the field was he probably should have taken it off the hop and held the runner at first. On dry turf conditions he gets better traction and gets to the ball quicker. Part of the learning curve. Fletcher should also have fielded the throw cleanly and that would have resulted in the runner being tagged out. So the impression is Adell made two mistakes instead of just one. 

Adell catches the ball if he breaks in right away, rather than taking a step back. Adell's biggest problem is getting a good break on balls hit in front of him. He even tends to play a little more shallow because he knows it's a problem.

That, being said, I disagree that he should have played it on a hop. That was not the winning or tying run and there were 2 outs in the 9th inning. The try for a diving catch, even with a 10% chance of success, shows good game situational awareness and I applaud the effort.

7 hours ago, Stradling said:

from what i saw, he broke back initially. if he read the ball correctly initially, then i think it's literally an easy catch. i would usually give a decent defensive outfielder a break because you get fooled sometimes off the bat. however, adell doesn't get the benefit of the doubt here because there's just too much tape of him pretty clearly having zero instincts for the ball defensively. he's just really bad.

5 hours ago, ukyah said:

from what i saw, he broke back initially. if he read the ball correctly initially, then i think it's literally an easy catch. i would usually give a decent defensive outfielder a break because you get fooled sometimes off the bat. however, adell doesn't get the benefit of the doubt here because there's just too much tape of him pretty clearly having zero instincts for the ball defensively. he's just really bad.

Agreed that Adell is pretty bad defensively.  Truth be told, with Trout being Trout, Ward suddenly becoming an incredible player, and Marsh looking really solid, we may not even "need" Adell to pan out and reach his potential.

If Adell's defensive issues and lack of plate discipline relegate him to being more of a 4th OF, that won't be so bad, given the above.  I do think, though, if he is only going to get sporadic playing time (which he is, given how good the other three have been), he should probably be in AAA, moreso to give him a shot to work on the his significant shortcomings.