• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The middle infield, now and in the future

mmc

Seeing as we seem to be doing an "earn your spot" thing for the middle infield, it leaves room for lots of speculation on how we can best utilize what we have.  In addition to what we're currently working with, our farm also has quite a few intriguing prospects with high upside that could be significant contributors going forward.  Essentially I'm asking two questions.

1.  How would you like to see our current group of Fletcher, Duffy, Rengifo, Wade, Velazquez, Duffy, Rojas, Mayfield, and Stefanic be utilized and

2.  Which of our infield prospects do you see making an impact on the big league club, and when?

7 minutes ago, mmc said:

Seeing as we seem to be doing an "earn your spot" thing for the middle infield, it leaves room for lots of speculation on how we can best utilize what we have.  In addition to what we're currently working with, our farm also has quite a few intriguing prospects with high upside that could be significant contributors going forward.  Essentially I'm asking two questions.

1.  How would you like to see our current group of Fletcher, Duffy, Rengifo, Wade, Velazquez, Duffy, Rojas, Mayfield, and Stefanic be utilized and

2.  Which of our infield prospects do you see making an impact on the big league club, and when?

My current theory is that Wade is a great back up middle infielder, Duffy is a solid utility player and Stefanic might be a starting second basemen (maybe). There is no starting shortstop in the bunch. 

I'd have brought up Stefanic and I'd be playing Mayfield at SS right now.  With Wade and Duffy off the bench.  

If we're going based on just what I'd probably consider the most interesting even though it wouldn't necessarily be the most optimal for wins, I'd go with Rengifo at SS and Stefanic at 2b.  But that wouldn't be great defense.  

But if we're talking future, that's where I'd lean for now.  

Again, I think Duffy is ok although I would have preferred someone better.  

I like Wade. His speed is a plus. I think I’d go Mayfield at 2B and Wade at SS if Fletch is out for an extended period, but with a relatively short leash. SS defense is important, so I’m willing to give a longer trial if the defense is outstanding. Sure would be great if Rengifo could step up and make a case for himself. I like his plus arm and pop at SS. Mayfield gets at bats just based on offensive potential, but again, we have enough options that you can keep the leash short. Duffy seems like a decent utility guy until proven otherwise.  I don’t know much about Velasquez. If everyone is meh, give Davis a shot? Fletch doesn’t get too much time if he continues to suck? Maybe to June 1 if he comes back without an extended IL stay?

2022: 1B Walsh, 2B Duffy, 3B Rendon, SS Fletcher, UT Wade, UT Mayfield

2023: 1B Walsh, 2B Stenafic, 3B Rendon, SS Fletcher, UT Wade, UT Mayfield

2024: 1B Walsh, 2B Stefanic, 3B Rendon, SS Fletcher, UT Wade, UT Jackson

2025: 1B Walsh, 2B Stefanic, 3B Rendon, SS Jackson, UT Fletcher

2026: 1B Walsh, 2B Paris, 3B Vera, SS Jackson, UT Fletcher

2027: 1B Trout, 2B Paris, 3B Vera, SS Jackson, UT Guzman

Parts is Parts... Mix them up, and you have a whole chicken! 

Shortstop will be the best defensive player with range either side preferably to the right. **Due to Analytics on the %'s of outs against the OVER-SHIFT* (Rendon actually has good range to his right as well). 2nd baseman will also have good range to his right as well... (Simba had great range both sides and a strong arm)

This is all based off of the OVER-SHIFT as most MLB hitters are right handed hence the OVER-SHIFT (To Pull 3rd base line). That's why against left handers if you watch Rendon he has a drop jab step cross over (IT's kind of short and isn't a big deal playing 3rd base as most play against the line anyways or less than 4-5 feet). However, I've seen the Halos use him up the middle which means they are using Fletchers Left side range to cover the most ground left to right **(His Fielding Metrics show this as well as he was a + defender to his Right)** and AVG to his Left. Against a left handed hitter. When Rendon plays it the ball is usually by him and he gives a short cross over or a dive. That's why when Rendon came up he played 2nd base and they moved him to 3rd base later.

Players have an extension of their range on their glove side (it's called a glove). That's why Iglesias got to balls but couldn't make the play or just made crap throws due to his off balance lack of weight shift to plant and throw.. That's also at times last year due to the OVER-SHIFT Fletcher had issues making the play. He could get to them due to his range to his right but had issues making the play due to his balance being off and not being able to come up clean.

I've wondered why teams got away from 2nd baseman playing deep a 3-4 steps on the grass. All the time and even on the shift when defense is a game of angles. Ryne Sandberg was great at this! They called him a smart defensive player.... he just used angles to the ball. This also allowed him to receive a truer last hop on the dirt as he was ranging to the ball to make the play instead of playing off the grass except deep in the hole between 1st & 2nd. That's why the Cubs could use decent to immobile 1st basemen who were more hitters than fielders. Sandberg used his angles to cover their liabilities.

This was one of the issues on the right side last year. Due to the defensive alignments on the right side Walsh was usually way off the line and to 2nd base with no runner on... And would routinely be out of position at times to go back and cover the bag... Glove side additional range. He would also give up on balls and then Fletcher was there then to basically cover up as Walsh would surrender the ball and now Fletcher had to react backing him up or being there to play the ball.

13 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I'd have brought up Stefanic and I'd be playing Mayfield at SS right now.  With Wade and Duffy off the bench.  

If we're going based on just what I'd probably consider the most interesting even though it wouldn't necessarily be the most optimal for wins, I'd go with Rengifo at SS and Stefanic at 2b.  But that wouldn't be great defense.  

But if we're talking future, that's where I'd lean for now.  

Again, I think Duffy is ok although I would have preferred someone better.  

This is pretty much exactly where I'm at. As I half-jokingly posted above, I want to believe in Rengifo. I don't, but I don't entirely disbelieve either. And I do believe in Stefanic.

Duffy has the best floor of any of them, at least with the bat. He's a consistent league average guy. I think Stefanic could be better, similar BA but a bit more pop, but he's worse defensively and he may not hit right away (although I think he'd hold his own).

Mayfield also has a decent floor, which is why I think he's playing. Plus, his once-a-week dinger.

14 hours ago, tomsred said:

I don't believe, more like......

R.78811a737dca16bc1f9bc2a2d216df8b.gif

Pretty sure that's from Earth vs The Flying Saucers - cutting edge CGI for the mid 1950's. If you like your 'B' movies like Creature from the Black Lagoon and It Came From Outer Space then you'll love this classic. Super cheesy stuff and great for a giggle.

Infield: ugh, I'm past caring who they are, I just want them to be better. 

18 hours ago, mmc said:

vs. RHP: Duffy at 2B, Fletcher at SS, Wade and Mayfield on the bench.

vs. LHP: Mayfield at 2B, Fletcher at SS, Duffy at 1B, and Wade on the bench.

(Replace Fletcher with Velazquez when Fletcher's on the IL)

Rengifo, Rojas, Stefanic, and Velazquez in AAA.

2. I think Stefanic (2B) and Fletcher (SS) end up being the everyday middle infield by the end of the season.

15 hours ago, halodground said:

I like Wade. His speed is a plus. I think I’d go Mayfield at 2B and Wade at SS if Fletch is out for an extended period, but with a relatively short leash. SS defense is important, so I’m willing to give a longer trial if the defense is outstanding. Sure would be great if Rengifo could step up and make a case for himself. I like his plus arm and pop at SS. Mayfield gets at bats just based on offensive potential, but again, we have enough options that you can keep the leash short. Duffy seems like a decent utility guy until proven otherwise.  I don’t know much about Velasquez. If everyone is meh, give Davis a shot? Fletch doesn’t get too much time if he continues to suck? Maybe to June 1 if he comes back without an extended IL stay?

I like Wade's speed so much that I wouldn't want to have him start. I'd rather keep him on the bench as a pinch-runner for situations like the 9th inning yesterday.

7 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Bear in mind next year there is probably no shift. 

That doesn’t bode well for a guy like Stefanic. 

The fact that the FO didn't protect Stefanic in the rule 5 draft (which never transpired) isn't a great sign.  If they felt he was going to be their future starting 2B, I imagine he would have been protected.  That doesn't mean he can't improve and get better - we see that happen all the time.  Still, for now, I think he needs to likely make significant defensive strides before he's considered a potential starting 2B.

As for the future of the middle infield, if you look at the AAA lineups, it appears that Rengifo is the every day SS, Stefanic is the every day 2B, and Davis has been rotating all around between 3B, LF, CF, RF.

9 hours ago, Warfarin said:

The fact that the FO didn't protect Stefanic in the rule 5 draft (which never transpired) isn't a great sign.  If they felt he was going to be their future starting 2B, I imagine he would have been protected.  That doesn't mean he can't improve and get better - we see that happen all the time.  Still, for now, I think he needs to likely make significant defensive strides before he's considered a potential starting 2B.

As for the future of the middle infield, if you look at the AAA lineups, it appears that Rengifo is the every day SS, Stefanic is the every day 2B, and Davis has been rotating all around between 3B, LF, CF, RF.

Jared Walsh was once left unprotected in the Rule 5 draft.

So the lesson learned is that the Angels won't completely write you off, even if they don't protect you from the Rule 5 draft. It just means Stefanic will have to impress at some point once he eventually gets a shot.