• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Los Angeles Angels 2022 MLB Draft Thread

mmc

With how Successful the 2021 draft was, I wouldn't mind going full pitching this year either. Personally My 2 choices are;

1. Hjerpe 

2. Hughes

While Hjerpe might be a surpise to many, he could be another one of those arms that could fast thru the minors. Simlar to detmers. Hjerpe is a mix of hader and Sale, and could easily slide into ta BP by next year or the Rotation. 

Scouting report from whjat I've heard. 

Fb: 90-95: its plus do to the deception.

Slider: Lo to mid 80s.  has shown potential to be an plus pitch. Against lefties it's deadly. 

Change: about average. 

Ceiling: #2/3 or a wipe out Bp arm. 

2022 Stats: 18 G, 17 GS, 103 1/3 IP, 11-2, 2.53 ERA, 0.871 WHIP, 23 BB, 161 K

Pro Comparison: Detmers/ Heaney or Hader 

Hughes:  this guy reminds me alot of Ty maddon from last year. Big fastball, plus slider, with a four pitch mix. 

FB: hit as high as 97. Sits in the 94-96 MPH

Slider: is plus

Change: is above average

Curve: might be dropped but shown feel as a 4th pitch. 

Upside: to be solid number 2. 

2022 stats: 13 G, 8-1, 2.62 ERA, 86 IP, 32 BB, 124 K, 1.07 WHIP

• mmc changed the title to Gameday Thead: 2022 MLB Draft
Just now, mmc said:

Would not be a fan personally

It would be a pick ripe for scrutiny.   I have no idea if it’s a good pick at 13.  I can’t imagine he’s that far away from pitching MLB games.  I am not a Boras fan.  I read a rumor saying Rocker has already agreed to a deal if drafted by a particular team, I don’t know which team, but that could be just a rumor. 

Just now, Taylor said:

Choosing last year's damaged goods would be very on-brand for this team.

This is exactly how this place will react but that’s based on how people feel about the team right now. If the team was playing good to great then the move would be applauded as possibly a guy that could make a difference down the stretch. 

Pitching a priority of course, but not the only position of need. They need a young high end catcher to eventually anchor the pitching staff, provide decent hitting/power and be an on field leader.

Easier said than done, but it's often a position that gets under valued. Even subtle things like pitch framing can affect important at bats. Not to mention all the other factors.

It's not surprising that so many retired catchers become managers, coaches and color commentators. They are the best equipped to understand the pitch by pitch dynamics and strategies.

The Angels could use an elite catcher to grow together with a young staff.

I'm not sure of the current system depth at the position, but a high end prospect will be a big building block. 

Growing up watching Bench, Carter, Munson, Fisk amongst others I remember how important they were as they grew along with their teams.

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

Baseball America has us getting Rocker as well. 

Screen Shot 2022-07-17 at 11.28.28 AM.png

BA just updated their mock and now has the Angels taking RHP Cade Horton.

But a common theme in BA’s mock drafts are that they don’t have any intel on the Angels preferences (outside of a pitcher) and are just attaching a pitcher who fits in the range of the Angels pick.

Other mocks, like TBW’s on here, are attaching the Angels to specific names.

FWIW, no mock draft had Bachman going to the Angels last year. Or Wilson to the Angels in 2019.

I believe a few had Detmers in 2020. FanGraphs had Adams in 2018.