• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Reid Detmers starts his bid for rotation spot with strong outing against Mariners

THE GAME: Three of the Angels rotation candidates pitched in a 7-3 victory over the Seattle Mariners in a Cactus League game on Sunday at the Peoria Sports Complex.

PITCHING REPORT: The top contenders for the No. 6 starter job each pitched two innings, facing a lineup of Mariners regulars for most of the time… Left-hander Reid Detmers started and struck out five in two scoreless innings. He allowed just a single. Detmers gave up two runs and did not make it out of the second inning in a start against the Mariners in the final game of the 2021 regular season. “I’ve been waiting all offseason for that, especially how last year ended,” Detmers said after Sunday’s outing. “I thought about it all offseason, just working to prepare myself for this moment. It felt good.” Manager Joe Maddon said Detmers “had it all going on today. That was really sharp.”… Right-hander Janson Junk gave up two runs, but that included a double on a ground ball that could have been stopped by first baseman Jake Gatewood… Right-hander Jaime Barria gave up one run, striking out three and walking none… Right-handers José Marte and Oliver Ortega each pitched a perfect inning to close out the game.

HITTING REPORT: Jose Rojas doubled and walked. Rojas has two hits and three walks already this spring. He’s also made two nice defensive plays… Matt Thaiss dropped an RBI single into left in the second inning and blasted a two-run homer in the fourth inning… Braxton Martinez hit a homer over the batter’s eye in the seventh inning, his second extra base hit in two Cactus League games. Martinez, 28, spent four years in independent leagues and Mexico before getting his first shot at affiliated baseball with the Angels last season… Preston Palmeiro hit a homer.

DEFENSE REPORT: Third baseman Kean Wong made a nice play on a ball down the line and then first baseman Palmeiro made a nice pick of a throw in the dirt… Thaiss has started behind the plate in two of the Angels’ first three Cactus League games. Thaiss was a catcher in college, but then didn’t catch through his first five pro seasons… The Angels did not make an error.

UP NEXT: Royals at Angels, Monday, 1 p.m. PT, Tempe Diablo Stadium, Bally Sports West, 830 AM

View the full article

That #6 spot competition is going to be super interesting to watch, because all three candidates have their own roster reasons to make it.

Detmers obviously has way more ceiling and maybe even floor than Barria or Junk. But if the #6 spot is susceptible to being less critical due to off-days, he might not get the schedule or reps he would at least to begin in AAA.

Barria is out of options, so clearly has an advantage in that regard. And the Angels have the clearest idea of what to expect from him.

Junk has an advantage, I think, if the #6 spot is treated less like an actual fixed rotation slot and more like a spot-start, swing-man, mop-up role that jumps around certain roles as the schedule dictates. Barria doesn’t seem to do as well with that ambiguity, and it probably wouldn’t be best for Detmers’ development.

So, aside from their individual performance, it’ll also come down to how the Angels view the #6 spot. Will it be a true rotation spot? Will it be treated sort of like a #5.5 spot? Rotating cast based on scheduling and performance?

Personally think Barria should be the guy.  Detmers is the long term solution should someone fall out.  Junk seems like the spot start guy if we lose someone short term or if double headers impact the rotation.  

They're pretty much going to need a 6th starter a fair amount in my estimation.  

April - 22 games in 24 days.  No double headers
May - 28 games in 31 days with one double
June - 29 games in 30 days with one double
July - 14 in 16 pre ASB, 10 in 10 after
August - 29 in 31.  one double
September - 26 in 30.  no doubles
October - 5 in 5

They only have two times where there are less than 6 games in between days off.  May 20th-22nd with three games between but a DH in the stretch before, and right before the ASB. 

So yah.  Maybe a couple times can they skip that 6th man and a couple times they might even need a 7th or unless someone goes on 4d rest.   So the additional pen depth just recently acquired is gonna be absolutely necessary.  

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

Personally think Barria should be the guy.  Detmers is the long term solution should someone fall out.  Junk seems like the spot start guy if we lose someone short term or if double headers impact the rotation.  

They're pretty much going to need a 6th starter a fair amount in my estimation.  

April - 22 games in 24 days.  No double headers
May - 28 games in 31 days with one double
June - 29 games in 30 days with one double
July - 14 in 16 pre ASB, 10 in 10 after
August - 29 in 31.  one double
September - 26 in 30.  no doubles
October - 5 in 5

They only have two times where there are less than 6 games in between days off.  May 20th-22nd with three games between but a DH in the stretch before, and right before the ASB. 

So yah.  Maybe a couple times can they skip that 6th man and a couple times they might even need a 7th or unless someone goes on 4d rest.   So the additional pen depth just recently acquired is gonna be absolutely necessary.  

It's obvious that Detmers has a pretty high ceiling at this point but I think we've seen enough of Barria and know what he has to offer. We need to keep our expectations a bit lower of Barria until they know for sure that Detmers is ready.  

10 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

As I brought up in another thread; Are they going to put Barria in the pen because he has no options left?

I don't think so. I think he's either in the rotation or traded/released. 

With so little depth in starters i cannot see Angels releasing Barria. Put him in BP long relief. I'm worried about Marsh and Adell about being ready. If not halos options for OF are not many. Hopefully at least one step up, as for Detmers if he pitches like he did yesterday he has to be in rotation. I also feel Minasian has one more move for a starter.

17 hours ago, totdprods said:

That #6 spot competition is going to be super interesting to watch, because all three candidates have their own roster reasons to make it.

Detmers obviously has way more ceiling and maybe even floor than Barria or Junk. But if the #6 spot is susceptible to being less critical due to off-days, he might not get the schedule or reps he would at least to begin in AAA.

Barria is out of options, so clearly has an advantage in that regard. And the Angels have the clearest idea of what to expect from him.

Junk has an advantage, I think, if the #6 spot is treated less like an actual fixed rotation slot and more like a spot-start, swing-man, mop-up role that jumps around certain roles as the schedule dictates. Barria doesn’t seem to do as well with that ambiguity, and it probably wouldn’t be best for Detmers’ development.

So, aside from their individual performance, it’ll also come down to how the Angels view the #6 spot. Will it be a true rotation spot? Will it be treated sort of like a #5.5 spot? Rotating cast based on scheduling and performance?

Detmers may not slot into the 6 spot, if he's the 6th starter. He may end up being 5th with Lorenzen being 6. 

They also as @Dochalopointed out earlier in this thread, will need a 6th starter a lot more with the schedule how it is this season.

17 hours ago, totdprods said:

Agreed with Barria "doesn't do well with ambiguity" roles and gives an advantage to Junk.

Does Junk have options?

I think you start with a baseline question: Which pitcher adds the most value, that is through giving the team the best shot of winning? Then you adjust accordingly, considering roster status, playing time, etc.

If Detmers continues pitching like he did, it is going to be hard to rationalize not giving him the spot. On the other hand, it might still make sense to not give him a spot in the majors until a stretch in which a #6 starter is needed for a consistent period of time. 

Unfortunately for Barria, his main usefulness to the team is probably as a swingman/spot-starter.

So I think Detmers' performance is the main deciding factor.

If he looks ready, give him the spot and have Barria be a long reliever who can come in if and when a starter gets blown out and/or a high inning count. If he is told that is his role rather than waiting for a shot at the rotation, maybe he'll be more consistent. Then Junk can get more time in AAA and be ready in case of eventual injury (along with Daniel, Diaz, Criswell, etc).

If Detmers doesn't look ready, send him to AAA for more seasoning, and then go with Junk and Barria.

So does everyone think it's Ohtani/Syndergaard/Sandoval/Suarez/Lorenzen and then the 6th spot is open?

I think if Detmers and Barria both have good springs, and one of Lorenzen or Suarez falters...they could both be in the rotation.