• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Would you trade Adell in a deal for Bryan Reynolds?

mmc

5 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

That's nice.

It's still fucking stupid. If a GM even thinks about that thing then they should be fired into the sun.

It's a tool for fans to play around with. 

Of course GMs don't use it. It is meant to simulate their thinking - how they valuate players. And it does a reasonably good job in most cases.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

If only all WAR cost the same...   

40 WAR at 6 years of control .vs 40 WAR with two years of control means you're paying more for those two years and stand to pay more to retain the value beyond that time.

Yes, a team is getting the surer thing, but there is a cost in real dollars beyond the players involved.

I'm not sure what your point is. I think the simulator takes that sort of thing into account. 

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

I'm not sure what your point is. I think the simulator takes that sort of thing into account. 

They list their methodology in the about sections, it's kinda iffy IMO, if not iffy it's seriously lacking in information regarding how they come about the surplus values for minor leaguers in comparison to the MLB guys which they list as Adjusted field value – salary = surplus trade value

https://www.baseballtradevalues.com/valuing-major-leaguers/

https://www.baseballtradevalues.com/valuing-minor-leaguers/

There is no baseline salary data or anything listed for minor leaguers -- not sure how they project it..  

3 hours ago, Fish Oil said:

I'm a chemist. Questioning science is how science works.

Precisely. Only those that don't understand the practice of science say things like "The science is settled" and "Trust the science". If we'd done that over the past couple of centuries we'd still be using leeches and blood letting in medicine, we'd still be using lead in water pipes and asbestos in schools, and we'd still be giving Thalidomide to pregnant mothers and be taking arsenic as a pick-me-up tonic. 

Some years ago I came across a study by one of your top universities (Harvard or Yale, someone like that, I don't recall the details) that had reviewed the major branches of science at 100 year intervals - they found that every 100 years roughly 90% of all scientific theories were disproven or changed in some way. Assuming that holds true for the future, 90% of the 'facts' we 'know' today are wrong in some way and will be changed in the next century. Build your house on the shifting sands of science and it'll be sure to come down soon enough.

5 hours ago, Fish Oil said:

I'm a chemist. Questioning science is how science works.

So again…your statement makes literally no sense….if science is a process, then clearly you would believe in the scientific process and the way it operates. It is not concrete nor definitive and constantly evolving. So to say scientists don’t believe in science is downright asinine and contradictory to what you are saying. 

P.s. if you make beer in your garage you can consider yourself a chemist. 

7 hours ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

So again…your statement makes literally no sense….if science is a process, then clearly you would believe in the scientific process and the way it operates. It is not concrete nor definitive and constantly evolving. So to say scientists don’t believe in science is downright asinine and contradictory to what you are saying. 

Good for you.

9 hours ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

No, you can call yourself an amateur brewer. You have no clue what the chemical composition of the ingredients are and why they interact if you follow directions. Like changing spark plugs on your car, that doesn't make you a propulsion engineer. 

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

No, you can call yourself an amateur brewer. You have no clue what the chemical composition of the ingredients are and why they interact if you follow directions. Like changing spark plugs on your car, that doesn't make you a propulsion engineer. 

trust engineer GIF