• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2022 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

I've been burned enough times to know that I shouldn't get too attached to prospects. 

I would say O'Hoppe, but I'm just not convinced the Angels will have him catch more than 80 games a year in the major leagues which kind of minimizes his value. Dave with Queso.

I'm not convinced Neto isn't something we already have in Luis Rengifo. He's good, but I think he's going to be more of a consistent regular rather than all-star.

DiChiara should be a decent DH for a couple years, similar to Vogelbach, but that really doesn't move the needle much. 

Jeremiah Jackson has tons of upside but it looks right now as though it'll take him a little bit to make enough contact to be a realistic option. 

Aside from Maitan and all his awesomeness, I think the ones I'm most excited about that are still "prospects" are Kyren Paris and Ben Joyce. Kyren, I think will have more power and speed than realized, which when coupled with his athleticism is going to make him a very good major league 2B. Ben Joyce because the Angels could either insert him straight into the bullpen next year and have an elite closer in no time, or they can stretch him out as a starter with some Michael Kopech type of upside in 2-3 years.

Overall, I'm most excited about our post-prospect youngsters. Rengifo has broken into the lineup and there's no way you take him out of the spot he's earned. Matt Thaiss is showing he has the chops to be a legit major league catcher. If not for Stassi and O'Hoppe, I think Thaiss would have a bright future here. I think it'll have to happen elsewhere. And Chris Rodriguez. What he showed as a starter getting stretched in the minors last year was enough to convince me that he should be a starter and he'll be a good one at that. Reid Detmers too. I think he's exactly as advertised in college. Should be a solid mid rotation lefty.

Edited by Second Base

It's hard not to like what O'Hoppe is doing because he's showing offensive and defensive skills. When you consider that the scouting reports talk a lot about his staff management and personality--something we can't see on Twitter--it's good all over. The power is especially intriguing, because I would definitely take a catcher that has an .800+ OPS and plays above average-very good defense. You just can't find that anywhere really. 

Pitching-wise, I love C-Rod. Nobody in the system has the stuff he does--and really nobody in the organization besides Ohtani. I really hope he can come back. 

Bonus--Neto. The guy is a legitimate shortstop showing he has decent power and a good bat. Love it. 

19 hours ago, Second Base said:

I've been burned enough times to know that I shouldn't get too attached to prospects. 

I would say O'Hoppe, but I'm just not convinced the Angels will have him catch more than 80 games a year in the major leagues which kind of minimizes his value. Dave with Queso.

I'm not convinced Neto isn't something we already have in Luis Rengifo. He's good, but I think he's going to be more of a consistent regular rather than all-star.

DiChiara should be a decent DH for a couple years, similar to Vogelbach, but that really doesn't move the needle much. 

Jeremiah Jackson has tons of upside but it looks right now as though it'll take him a little bit to make enough contact to be a realistic option. 

Aside from Maitan and all his awesomeness, I think the ones I'm most excited about that are still "prospects" are Kyren Paris and Ben Joyce. Kyren, I think will have more power and speed than realized, which when coupled with his athleticism is going to make him a very good major league 2B. Ben Joyce because the Angels could either insert him straight into the bullpen next year and have an elite closer in no time, or they can stretch him out as a starter with some Michael Kopech type of upside in 2-3 years.

Overall, I'm most excited about our post-prospect youngsters. Rengifo has broken into the lineup and there's no way you take him out of the spot he's earned. Matt Thaiss is showing he has the chops to be a legit major league catcher. If not for Stassi and O'Hoppe, I think Thaiss would have a bright future here. I think it'll have to happen elsewhere. And Chris Rodriguez. What he showed as a starter getting stretched in the minors last year was enough to convince me that he should be a starter and he'll be a good one at that. Reid Detmers too. I think he's exactly as advertised in college. Should be a solid mid rotation lefty.

Yes? I like cheese. And Edgar is not cheese. He's legit, like O'Hoppe. 

I'm still a bit more bullish on Jackson than you. That power is legit and I always thought that they would move him off of SS to either 3B,2B or the OF. He is very athletic. I believe he can get the contact rate and walk rate to something acceptable and will be a major leaguer. His versatility will be very desirable, along with his power. 

Agreed that we don't want to overvalue our prospects, but our farm is nowhere near as barren as people think. Go ahead and make a top 30 list and you will quickly see that you can't fit everyone in. You will be leaving names off. 

And, at the same time, check game logs and splits. I figured Paris would earn a promotion based on his splits. And he's not the only one improving after a horrid start. So, there is lots to like down on he farm. 

10 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Jackson = much more power and a little less speed version of Figgins?

Let's wait until he proves that he can actually hit before making that kind of comparison.

Right now, he's below average offensively in AA.

On 8/31/2022 at 10:11 PM, Trendon said:

The high K% still concerns me with Paris, but I was most impressed with his ability to turn his season around in High-A and earn a promotion to AA after such a bad start there.

76 in his first 210 PA

46 in his last 199 PA

So a dramatic improvement 

I was a little wary of the promotion frankly and still am.  But clearly they're confident he figured something out.  While I don't know this for sure, my guess is that it's probably progress with a specific pitch he was seeing a lot of and couldn't figure out for awhile.  

52 minutes ago, Trendon said:

Let's wait until he proves that he can actually hit before making that kind of comparison.

Right now, he's below average offensively in AA.

Point taken, although Figgins had a low .645 OPS in AA at age 23.

Then once he got to the majors to stay at age 25 in 2003, his career OPS with the Halos was around .750.  

Like Paris, Jackson has also cut down a lot on the Ks, from a third of the time a year ago to around 22% this season while skipping a level.

Edited by Angel Oracle

I'm really looking forward to seeing C. Rodrigues and Jones get to the majors. Got my fingers crossed that they both become starters. If that happens our starting 6 will be absolutely nasty. (Ohtani, Sandaval, Detmers, Jones, Rodriguez, and about a dozen others to choose from for a 6th man). If they both end up in the bullpen as a setup man and closer, that won't be too disappointing either. 

12 hours ago, fanfromday1 said:

I'm really looking forward to seeing C. Rodrigues and Jones get to the majors. Got my fingers crossed that they both become starters. If that happens our starting 6 will be absolutely nasty. (Ohtani, Sandaval, Detmers, Jones, Rodriguez, and about a dozen others to choose from for a 6th man). If they both end up in the bullpen as a setup man and closer, that won't be too disappointing either. 

Sorry, maybe this is a brain cramp on my end, but who is Jones?

10 minutes ago, Revad said:

How far away is Soto?  He’s still listed as a SS, where has he been playing?

SS, 2B, and 3B more recently.

He’s big league ready defensively. This is the first season where his offense has ticked up.

I think they add him to the 40-man roster after the season, he starts next season in AAA, and gets a shot at some point in 2023 as a utility infielder.

Is Quero currently the favorite to win California League POTY honors?

.976 OPS with home games in a neutral hitting park

Solid defense behind the plate

Even steals some bases (12 for 16) and scores a lot of runs (81).

All at the young age of 19!

If he isn’t a top 100 prospect with the next prospects list releases, there needs to be an inquiry!

Edited by Angel Oracle