• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Thor to wear Adenhart's #34

Adenhart's family: No one better than Syndergaard to wear late son's No. 34
https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/2253878

Next season, Noah Syndergaard will become the first member of the Los Angeles Angels to wear No. 34 since Nick Adenhart, who died 13 years ago.

And, to Adenhart's family, there's no better candidate.

"We are of the opinion that we think there could be no one better than Noah Syndergaard to wear (the number)," Adenhart's stepfather Duane Gigeous told Sam Blum of The Athletic.

"We appreciate the type of pitcher that he is and the type of competitor that he is. … I think, hopefully, it will spark some conversations," Gigeous added, speaking on behalf of Adenhart's mother and brother as well. "There's a generation of baseball fans who don't know who Nick is and don't know Nick's story."

Adenhart was killed by a drunk driver on April 9, 2009, just hours after starting on the mound for the Angels. Two other people died in the two-car crash.

Adenhart, 22-years-old at the time, went six shutout innings in his final appearance, allowing seven hits and three walks while striking out five in his only start in 2009. The right-hander briefly made it to the majors the previous season before earning a rotation spot out of spring training the following year.

Syndergaard, 29, has exclusively worn No. 34 his entire major-league career. The former All-Star signed a one-year, $21-million contract with the Angels earlier this offseason following six seasons with the New York Mets.

****EDIT****Gallo was convicted of three second-degree murder charges and sentenced to 51 years to life in prison. Currently an inmate at the Ironwood State Prison in Blythe, Gallo will be eligible for his first parole hearing in 2028.Apr 8, 2019

16 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I was gonna say we already had a thread on this but this is new info I think. Definitely good stuff to know. Glad there's no negativity about it.

Yeah, I thought the same it was in the Syndergaard signing thread but I don't like rehashing old threads...We had talked about wondering if the Halos were going to let him wear Nick's #. It looks like the Organization had talks with the family to seek approval...I think that is pretty cool if they did that. With all the negative press Arte has gotten about the minor leaguer living deal 

Glad to see a different route than preventing a player from wearing a number for whatever reason.  I think the entire concept of retiring numbers should be replaced with a concept similar to what Mike Trout's high school does with his number.

Anthony Gallo, who had a suspended license for drunk driving at the time of his arrest, was sentenced to 51 years to life for the murder of Adenhart and two of his friends.

Gallo's attorney attempted several appeals but was not successful in the 4th district and in 2013 the California Supreme Court has refused to overturn the decision or re-review the case. 

13 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Anthony Gallo, who had a suspended license for drunk driving at the time of his arrest, was sentenced to 51 years to life for the murder of Adenhart and two of his friends.

Gallo's attorney attempted several appeals but was not successful in the 4th district and in 2013 the California Supreme Court has refused to overturn the decision or re-review the case. 

Gallo was convicted of three second-degree murder charges and sentenced to 51 years to life in prison. Currently an inmate at the Ironwood State Prison in Blythe, Gallo will be eligible for his first parole hearing in 2028.Apr 8, 2019

9 minutes ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

You're not talking about Jon Wilhite right? He was the guy that survived the crash but got internally decapitated.

No.  I'm talking about Henry, Nick's younger brother.  He was also a pitcher and I wondered if his baseball career went any where.

30 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

Gallo was convicted of three second-degree murder charges and sentenced to 51 years to life in prison. Currently an inmate at the Ironwood State Prison in Blythe, Gallo will be eligible for his first parole hearing in 2028.Apr 8, 2019

It gets hot out there. Yard time must be fun in August.

Eerie reading this while remembering watching Nick Adenhart pitch that April Night in 2009.  I remember how masterfully he pitched those shutout innings while dancing out of danger Houdini like thinking he had a Great Future only to awake to the Horrible News the following Morning in Total disbelief wishing it was a mistake.

Oh well Noah Syndergaard now has some additional weight on his shoulders.  He reminds me of Jered Weaver with ace potential and I am very familiar with him watching most Mets Games over his career so I too feel this Honor behooves him.  Wear it Well is all that I wish for.

55 minutes ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

I couldn't leave until late afternoon that day due to my buddies schedule. Also towing a 25 foot trailer, didn't wanna push it.

You'd probably have been better off sleeping in the back of the trailer somewhere on the other side of the Arizona border than in Blythe. 

10 hours ago, cals said:

I can only imagine.  You’re the Mexican guy with a tiny trailer stacked like 15 feet high with lawn furniture strapped down with one fraying bungee cord. “No no ees ok.  Ees fuerte, no fall.”

Sound like an accurate representation of the Angels over the past 7 years.