• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Fangraphs' Angels Prospect List (Top 41)

Warfarin

16 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Woof. They really don't like Austin Warren, Davis Daniel or Kyren Paris. I also think they're jumping the gun with clarifying Bachman as a single inning reliever. 

Yeah.  I highly doubt the Angels drafted Bachman that high in the first round with the intent of having him be a reliever.  To be fair, I think Fangraphs tends to project what they see now, vs what could change over time.  I'm sure the FO has a plan in terms of having him develop a formidable third pitch and be a legit SP prospect, which Fangraphs is not currently taking into account.

14 minutes ago, rageous said:

Angels farm system seems to be back to one of the worst in the major league again.

Well, they do clarify an important aspect of that:

This system is poised to fall toward the bottom of the farm rankings with Reid Detmers’ likely early-2022 graduation. Some of the fall will have come about for good reasons, namely graduations and trades. Jo Adell and Brandon Marsh have not had seamless transitions to the big leagues for various reasons, but they’re both considered “hits” at this stage. Patrick Sandoval and Jared Walsh — both were arguably under-evaluated on our lists, and Walsh certainly was — are recent grads as well. 

All joking aside, we may have had the big mushroom tip surgically removed by Major League playing time, but there are still a lot of prospects on the list with the "plus" sign attached and, yes, FanGraphs, I think rightfully, takes a more conservative approach as a lot of evaluators do, so I am personally not as down on this list as some may be.

Kyren Paris put up an OPS of .848 and stole 22 bases in 47 games as a 19-year old across 2 levels of A-ball. He was ranked #6 in the system after not playing in the 2020 season (only had 3 games of experience in the Rookie League prior in the 2019 season) and yet fell to #9 after putting up those numbers this season.

Edited by rafibomb

24 minutes ago, ettin said:

All joking aside, we may have had the big mushroom tip surgically removed by Major League playing time, but there are still a lot of prospects on the list with the "plus" sign attached and, yes, FanGraphs, I think rightfully, takes a more conservative approach as a lot of evaluators do, so I am personally not as down on this list as some may be.

What is an ideal number for Future Value on these charts? I honestly do not know a fraction of the statistical stuff most of you guys do. 

10 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

Kyren Paris put up an OPS of .848 and stole 22 bases in 47 games as a 19-year old across 2 levels of A-ball. He was ranked #6 in the system after not playing in the 2020 season (only had 3 games of experience in the Rookie League prior in the 2019 season) and yet fell to #9 after putting up those numbers this season.

From their report, I am gathering the red flag is the high K% in conjunction with not as much power projection.  Not saying I agree with it, but I can see where they are coming from.

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

Thanks. Kind of wish the Angels had some 70+ FV guys in the farm. 

Lol, that'd be great.  Ohtani was notably a 70, I believe.

All that said, while the picture doesn't look great, I think we're pretty set at a number of positions long-term:  CF, DH, 3B, 2B, 1B, likely both RF/LF (Marsh and Adell will both be given ample opportunity to show they're legit MLB players).  Our current "problem" areas are SS and C (which is important, given these are historically the hardest positions to fill).  Maybe Rengifo will take a step forward and live up to his potential.  If he can even become an average SS, then C is our only immediate hole.

Bench depth is important, but I would say we have a variety of good bench options in the upper minors that can fill those gaps, especially if we see some developmental progress.

The key thing we need the most is, as always, pitching.  That said, we spent 20 draft picks addressing that this last draft, and do have some promising options in the pipeline.  This team already has its stars in place - it just needs to build solid young depth to support those star players.

2 minutes ago, floplag said:

A couple takeaways...
Davis and Jackson ETA this year at SS... thats sooner than most expected i think, and odd in the fact of some recent acquisitions maybe?
Nota single C on the list for 5 years... oof.

I have to think the Jackson ETA is a mistake on their part.  He played in low A all year last year, no way would he be expected to contribute this upcoming season.

Davis is interesting, but reports sound like he isn't particularly good at SS, so .. maybe more of a utility-type infielder who can cover 2B, SS, 3B?

If so, that's certainly a worthwhile bench player.

This paints a bleak picture for the Angels current farm system, which is fair.

A lot of the Angels high-upside projects haven't hit.

Vera, Guzman, Adams, Placencia, Jackson, and Paris all have hit tool/strikeout issues.

Same thing goes for guys like Blakely, Ramirez, Santana, Calabrese, Knowles, Deveaux, etc.

The only high-upside position players that have "hit" are Adell and Marsh. Everyone else is a bust or still years away with hit tool/strikeout issues to iron out.

16 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I have to think the Jackson ETA is a mistake on their part.  He played in low A all year last year, no way would he be expected to contribute this upcoming season.

Davis is interesting, but reports sound like he isn't particularly good at SS, so .. maybe more of a utility-type infielder who can cover 2B, SS, 3B?

If so, that's certainly a worthwhile bench player.

I heard his defense was excellent at both positions. Has someone actually seen him?

He may get the 2nd most of available starts in the MINF. Fletcher getting the most for at least one more year. 

9 minutes ago, Hubs said:

I heard his defense was excellent at both positions. Has someone actually seen him?

He may get the 2nd most of available starts in the MINF. Fletcher getting the most for at least one more year. 

I haven't seen him play, so I can only go by what I've seen on scouting reports.  

The thing i find most frustrating about this, is not the current status as we have graduated some very good players, but for years all the talk was about a sustainable farm and all that, and yet after these graduations its looking bleak.  I expected the opposite.  Thats disheartening that we were so average for so long making no moves, to end up more or less back where we started. 

3 hours ago, Second Base said:

Woof. They really don't like Austin Warren, Davis Daniel or Kyren Paris. I also think they're jumping the gun with clarifying Bachman as a single inning reliever. 

Their general vibe is that the time off hurt a lot of their guys which makes sense given their age, but it also seems a tad foolish to write them off given they are in fact so young.  Adams is IMO starting to look a bit bust-ish though.

19 minutes ago, floplag said:

The thing i find most frustrating about this, is not the current status as we have graduated some very good players, but for years all the talk was about a sustainable farm and all that, and yet after these graduations its looking bleak.  I expected the opposite.  Thats disheartening that we were so average for so long making no moves, to end up more or less back where we started. 

Imo these lists are pretty useless when seeing how good or bad a system is. Do you think these guys scouted 41 prospects in the Angels system? They may look closer at teams like the Dodgers and Yankees but I highly doubt they took a serious look at more than 7-8 guys. It would be nearly impossible otherwise.