• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Fangraphs' Angels Prospect List (Top 41)

Warfarin

Something that I noticed the previous Angels regime really bought into was body type and the connection with projection. I loved that they chased upside, but I hated that they genuinely seemed to have become lazy in their assumption of what potential actually is. 

Just as an example, they look at Jo Adell and they see everything they're looking for in terms of projection. You hear terms like "high waisted" which just means he has long legs and "broad shouldered" which just means he has a strong upper half. And unfortunate as it is, his skin color too. Jo Adell looks like an incredible athlete and to his credit, he totally is. 

But how many have we seen with Adell's similar build (and assumed potential) never actually make good on any of it? They say high risk, high reward but I just don't see it that way. I don't see the reward being that high. 

Look at the best players in the game. As preps and amateurs they would've been viewed as having lower potential than Adell or even Jordyn Adams. Mike Trout, alligator arms. Too thick in his muscles to the point where he projects to be stocky and not athletic. Mookie Betts, small framed, wiry. Not as strong or as fast as Adell. Vlad Jr., Too thick, too slow, too single dimensional. Bichette, like Betts, too small, no one can get away with mastering two different swings. 

Now some guys do fit that general profile. Bryce Harper, Shohei Ohtani, Acuna, Juan Soto. 

But I think if we look for common theme among the greats today, it isn't "potential" or one specific build or path to the majors. I think the only common denominator I see is that every single one of them are absolute ball players. They have a sense for the game and a level of enjoyment and identify found in it that they don't think they're working hard, they're just doing what is comfortable for them. They're singularly focused on perfecting this craft. It's just who they are.

I don't think it's taught either. No one taught Trout or Ohtani to be obsessed with baseball and getting better. The game was introduced to them and they just are. 

And that's where I think the Angels may have gone astray. They have been drafting athletes, and trying to turn them into ball players, when they should've been drafting ball players. It's ironic that I used Adell as an example when, athletic as he is, all he's ever cared about is baseball. But Marsh and Adams? 

I'm not saying they should be devalued because of their prowess on the gridiron, but I am saying that I openly question the Angels scouts and their ability to identify this "ball player" trait. As it turns out , it worked with Marsh, because he was always baseball centric, football is just something he also enjoyed. But Adams, he wasn't a baseball player. He was an athlete. Jeremiah Jackson? The jury is still out. 

That ball player trait is what takes a guy like Mookie Betts and makes him a superstar and not a "AAAA" second baseman. It's what makes Vladdy more than meets the eye, the kid can actually run the bases, he's smart and he's got a great glove, great instinct in the field and at the plate. It's why we know Jared Walsh, David Fletcher and Kole Calhoun's names at all. 

The way I'm seeing the Angels system, right now I know Kyren Paris is a ball player. It's not grit, it's just his identity. And that's why Paris will be MUCH better than he's projected to be.

I would like to see the Angels do a better job at finding ball players. Upside or not. 

And as far as pitching goes. Getting hitters out is the sole focus. That should be their first, second, third, fourth and fifth priority. After that, then they can worry about how they're getting them out. Guys like Davis Daniel get them out, but because the radar gun doesn't light up as high or he isn't as tall as most NFL quarterbacks, he's slighted for it. 

The thing I like about what they've done in regards to pitching prospects is they've focused on the outcome, getting hitters out, and not so much how. What's the difference between a seven inning shutout from Patrick Sandoval versus one from Jose Suarez? When Sandoval does it, scouts pat themselves on the back and offer it as proof their methods work. Tall, projectable, left handed, comes from a great school in So-Cal. They saw his success coming a mile away. But Suarez? Short, squatty.... He's an outlier. 

And with that I'll offer up over more prediction. I don't think we've seen Barria peak yet, I think he's going to have a long, productive, under the radar career as a dependable #4/5 starter. And it's cool that Reid Detmers is throwing a little harder, but getting hitters out at 92-93 is fine. It's not like he was Weaver late in his career tossing 84. But if Detmers gets them out at 94-95 instead, great. Still, I think he's going to settle back in at a lower velo than last year and experience more success, like Ohtani did. 

Edited by Second Base

On 12/9/2021 at 10:25 AM, Hubs said:

That is why they were receptive to letting Thaiss Catch. Also, If in the 2022 Draft, they use their first round pick on a college Catcher, like Daniel Susac if he slips, or Kevin Parada this will solve itself. Angels pick 13th.

https://www.prospectslive.com/prospects-live/2021/11/1/2022-mlb-draft-top-200-prospects

5. Daniel Susac

Catcher, Arizona

A big, tall, switch-hitting catcher, Susac immediately brings back visions of Matt Wieters at Georgia Tech. Susac has a very good arm behind the plate, and more explosiveness and lateral mobility than most catchers his size do. But this guy will make his money with the bat. A potential plus hitter with plus power, Susac projects a middle-of-the-order impact bat, a run producer and an impact player up the middle of the field. Susac's batted-ball data surpasses that of Henry Davis from 2021. The kid can bang.

13. Kevin Parada

Catcher, Georgia Tech

Parada was one of the more quietly heralded catchers in the 2020 draft class pre-draft. His bonus demands ultimately pushed him to Georgia Tech. It's legit plus raw power that he's shown he can get to in-game. He’s got extremely strong hands that help him manipulate the barrel, and punish balls deep in the zone with authority. Parada has a picturesque swing that uses all fields and doesn’t sell out for power. It’s organic strength and loft that comes naturally. Behind the plate, it’s a plus arm with better athleticism than you’ll find in most guys his size. Playing at Georgia Tech, Parada may get the opportunity to call his own games in 2022, a luxury not afforded to most college catchers these days. That advanced skillset, both mentally and physically, should help his draft stock. Parada’s profile is carried by the plus bat, but he’s an advanced defensive catcher who figures to stay behind the plate as he transitions into professional baseball. He may be the next great backstop to come out of Georgia Tech following Jason Varitek, Matt Wieters and Joey Bart.

IF any of that happens ill change my mind 🙂