• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

With all the swirl around FA pitching...

Deek

44 minutes ago, AngelStew43 said:

What about a reunion with Grienke?  38 years old, but great mechanics, makes his starts, definitely won't be making 35 mil a year anymore.  

He also pitches well in our park, and if we can find a decent SS, Grienke may be a good add.

someone else floated this idea several days ago. i like it because he's a good pitcher and could help our younger arms with strategy stuff. i don't think he'd be very expensive (all things considered). i'd imagine he could be signed to a 2 year deal. 

1 hour ago, Tank said:

someone else floated this idea several days ago. i like it because he's a good pitcher and could help our younger arms with strategy stuff. i don't think he'd be very expensive (all things considered). i'd imagine he could be signed to a 2 year deal. 

I think MLBTrade Rumors had him at 1 year 15M.  

14 hours ago, AngelStew43 said:

What about a reunion with Grienke?  38 years old, but great mechanics, makes his starts, definitely won't be making 35 mil a year anymore.  

He also pitches well in our park, and if we can find a decent SS, Grienke may be a good add.

Money aside - I don't think Grienke or Kershaw fit the "mentality" bill that Perry seems focused on: Kershaw - great in the regular season; disaster in the bright lights of the post season... Grienke - His emotional breakdowns for much of the first half of his career are well documented.  I like Grienke and would love to get him on a 1/$15M or even 2/$25M, but I just don't see it happening...

Just to re-iterate what has been on other threads ..

I don't think another "big splash" is coming in terms of a SP.  Our rotation appears to be somewhat set.

Locks:  Ohtani, Syndergaard, Suarez (no options left), Sandoval (his good performance last year warrants him starting), Lorenzen (per all reports).

That leaves 1 spot open.  Barria doesn't have options, so it could be him, or he could instead of a long-reliever, although that seems to be a bit of a waste of his talent, as he does seem like a solid backend rotation starter.

And beyond them, we have Detmers, Canning, and Junk who have options and, at least for now, are likely to start off in AAA (although injuries occur, so they could very well make the opening day roster based on health, etc).  All three of these guys will likely be in the rotation at some point in 2022, too.

So that's 8-9 starters, depending on how you view Barria.  I wouldn't be surprised to see another "flyer" top option added, like Duffy, who can be competition while in camp, but probably not someone like Rodon, Kershaw, Greinke, etc.

On 12/2/2021 at 8:56 PM, ThisismineScios said:

We don't have the prospect capital to just go for any pitcher. We are more at the Means, Gray, Bassitt, Maeda level for a trade than the Sixto-Castillo-Marquez level. Which is fine--get a solid #3 guy, and keep developing Detmers, Bachman, Bush, Suarez, and the no-namers (Crow-Junk etc) to see what hits. But the idea that it's ace or bust is silly. If we stay healthy, we're trotting out Ohtani-Syndergaard-Sandoval for a series. That's pretty good. 

This gets back to an important question.   Is Matt Wise able to help Bachman, Junk, etc. develop that extra pitch needed for success as starters?

12 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

This gets back to an important question.   Is Matt Wise able to help Bachman, Junk, etc. develop that extra pitch needed for success as starters?

Look at Sandoval’s growth and I think we all need to admit (me first) Wise deserves some credit. For me with Bachman it’s really about the third pitch. If he has a slightly above average change up, he can be a good starter. Another thing to me is to get Canning’s change up lower than 89 when his FB is 93-94.