• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Would you be mad if the Angels signed....

2 minutes ago, failos said:

Yeah I don’t trust this front office to give us a good return for a once in a generation talent like Ohtani—in fact, I wouldn’t trust any front office, but you perceive everything as an attack against the Angels and you take everything so personally, so I’ll leave you to it. 

That isn’t it at all. But ok. If people aren’t tired of the “Arte is the devil” conversation then they are more patient than me. I use common sense and the names brought in when Perry got here tells me that this front office is as equipped as most teams at executing this type of trade. 

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

That isn’t it at all. But ok. If people aren’t tired of the “Arte is the devil” conversation then they are more patient than me. I use common sense and the names brought in when Perry got here tells me that this front office is as equipped as most teams at executing this type of trade. 

Why do you keep bringing up Arte? I literally said he’d never trade Ohtani.

3 hours ago, mmc said:

Can't say I understand this line of thinking.  The team is coming off 6 losing seasons, the longest such streak in the league.  When was the last time this team was seriously competing after the All Star break?  How much lower can you really set the team back, and why would it take anywhere near 10 years to get back to being a 75-80 win team?

so if you trade ohtani, who are getting in that deal? betts and buehler? vlad jr. and bichette? you're most likely going to end up with prospects - top notch prospects, but kids that are likely a few years away, their success in the majors still be determined. meanwhile, you're going to lose a huge piece to your current roster and have to scramble to replace him with inferior players, which will result in more losses. 

for arguments sake, i'm going to assume that if you're willing to trade ohtani, then you're also willing to trade trout and likely to get the same kind of prospects in return. if every hot shot kid were to turn out into what they're projected to be, it could be a fantastic deal. but we've all seen enough "can't miss!" prospects through the years to know that there aren't any guarantees in how well a kid will play at the major league level.

that's how you would set this team back. maybe not a full ten years, but it's still going to be a while before you win again. with ohtani and a healthy trout and rendon, there is the potential for winning, and i think the right tweak here and there could make this team competitive again.

i wouldn't trade him (or trout).

Edited by Tank

RE: Arte 

You can say he isn't building the team right, but with the 7th highest payroll in baseball, I don't see that you can say he hasn't spent.

He has signed the largest contract in baseball history (Trout), the 14th (Rendon), the 16th (Pujols), The 49th (Trout), the 70th (Hamilton), and the 95th (Upton).

Having 6 contracts in the top 100 of all time is more than double what it would've been if it was divided equally.

2 hours ago, Hubs said:

RE: Arte 

You can say he isn't building the team right, but with the 7th highest payroll in baseball, I don't see that you can say he hasn't spent.

He has signed the largest contract in baseball history (Trout), the 14th (Rendon), the 16th (Pujols), The 49th (Trout), the 70th (Hamilton), and the 95th (Upton).

Having 6 contracts in the top 100 of all time is more than double what it would've been if it was divided equally.

And thats the kicker. Just made a post about this in another thread. 

Arte has absolutely spent. Its how hes done it that sucks.

That 49th biggest contract was awesome. The others, so far including numbers 1 and 14 have been bad.

1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

And thats the kicker. Just made a post about this in another thread. 

Arte has absolutely spent. Its how hes done it that sucks.

That 49th biggest contract was awesome. The others, so far including numbers 1 and 14 have been bad.

I disagree about Rendon. In 2020 he’d have had a 6 WAR season if it had been full length and then he was hurt in 21. 

It is hard to guess what an Ohtani extension would look like right now. He's due only $5.5M in 2022, a bit more than that in 2023, his last year of arbitration (unless they shift to a WAR-based model, then all bets are off). But let's say he'll get paid something like 2/$12-15M for his age 27-28 seasons.

On the other hand, if he repeats or even just comes close to 2021 in both of the next two seasons, he's going to get a monster contract, maybe becoming a $40 million dollar man over 8-10 years.

Meaning, in some sense, it doesn't make sense for either the Angels or Ohtani. The Angels don't want to give up that value over the next two years, especially with Upton's dead contract and if they spend another $30M this offseason; and Shohei doesn't want to miss out on a huge pay-day.

There may be a creative way to make both happen - some sort of Buxtonian contract that guarantees Shohei a good base salary through his prime years but includes incentives depending upon how he ranks in the MVP and CY award tallies. With two more years of relatively low contracts, Shohei might be enticed by something like that.

2 hours ago, Hubs said:

I disagree about Rendon. In 2020 he’d have had a 6 WAR season if it had been full length and then he was hurt in 21. 

I like Rendon. And i have faith he rebounds. But up till now he hasnt been worth it at all.

Covid isnt his fault (obviously), and he legit got hurt (not his fault either). But when you add up what we've gotten for the money, his fault or not, it hasnt helped us at all (so far).

10 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I like Rendon. And i have faith he rebounds. But up till now he hasnt been worth it at all.

Covid isnt his fault (obviously), and he legit got hurt (not his fault either). But when you add up what we've gotten for the money, his fault or not, it hasnt helped us at all (so far).

I agree but I can’t bring myself to join the group that thinks this guy is a dog and will never perform.

The guy is a damn good player.  

On 11/30/2021 at 10:07 AM, ten ocho recon scout said:

.... Ohtani to a long term contract today?

Serious question. If say they backed off from big contracts this year, but gave ohtani a trout deal.

Locking trout up was great. But it hasnt led to anything (yet). With that in mind, if we blew our wad on Ohtani this winter, and played off Syndegaard and Lorenzen as our big adds, what would your reaction be?

Exhilaration!