• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rule 5 Protection Deadline on Friday

BTH

Potential Adds-

Position Players: D'Shawn Knowles (INF/OF), Orlando Martinez (OF), Livan Soto (INF), and Michael Stefanic (INF/OF)

Pitchers: Aaron Hernandez (RH SP), Connor Higgins (LH RP), Robinson Pina (RH SP), Elvis Peguero (RH RP), and Gerardo Reyes (RH RP).

Let me know if I'm missing someone. Otherwise, who do you think they end up adding? As of this post, they have a full 40-man roster (so they'd need to DFA players in order to clear room to add anyone)

I doubt anyone there will be selected. Maybe Reyes or Stefanic.

The Angels have a full 40-man, so I wouldn't be surprised if they cut someone so they have the possibility of making an add. If they don't have a spot on the 40 as of tomorrow, they can't.

10 minutes ago, Hubs said:

I doubt anyone there will be selected. Maybe Reyes or Stefanic.

The Angels have a full 40-man, so I wouldn't be surprised if they cut someone so they have the possibility of making an add. If they don't have a spot on the 40 as of tomorrow, they can't.

There's several dudes they can cut from the 40. I bet a lot of teams wait until others start cutting folks, so they have better shot at sneaking guys through waivers.

35 minutes ago, Slegnaac said:

Will we see them pick up anyone from another team?

I think it'll be the non-tenders (Dec. 1) they'll be watching more closely than guys waived ahead of Rule 5, but always possible. 
Shortstop or 4th OF would be the most conceivable area they'd look to add depth, and I think we're really in pretty good shape there already in terms of the types who are taken off 40-man rosters ahead of the Rule 5. Maybe a back-up catcher, but those also aren't waived very often ahead of R5.

18 hours ago, Trendon said:

Potential Adds-

Position Players: D'Shawn Knowles (INF/OF), Orlando Martinez (OF), Livan Soto (INF), and Michael Stefanic (INF/OF)

Pitchers: Aaron Hernandez (RH SP), Connor Higgins (LH RP), Robinson Pina (RH SP), Elvis Peguero (RH RP), and Gerardo Reyes (RH RP).

Let me know if I'm missing someone. Otherwise, who do you think they end up adding? As of this post, they have a full 40-man roster (so they'd need to DFA players in order to clear room to add anyone)

Robinson Pina

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

Will we see a trade of any of these guys today or tomorrow?  

I kinda hope so. We have so many fringey RP arms. I know we need them, but turning 2-4 of them into 1-2 established MLB vet RPs would make a lot of sense. It helps with 40-man flexibility too.

Flip Connor Higgins and Cooper Criswell to Minnesota for Caleb Thielbar or something with a similar framework. Dylan Floro, Duane Underwood, whatever. Feels like a good way to add a couple decent pen arms with low salary, while only sacrificing a little bit of redundant depth.

Edited by totdprods

I'm keeping an eye on Atlanta. Now that the signed Pina and locked up d'Arnaud to an extension, they have some spare catching depth. 

Minasian might want to get a back-up who could take over if they let Stassi walk after this year. There isn't a single FA catcher that's really all that appealing to me, and we definitely need one more. I don't know what a Chad Wallach is.

Edited by totdprods

Current 40-man:

Capture.JPG

Candidates, in my opinion, that could be cut, include: Sam Selman, Phil Gosselin, Keon Wong, Andrew Velazquez, Chad Wallach, Hector Yan, Jose Rojas, and Cooper Criswell.

Potential Rule 5 guys I would lean toward keeping, include: D'Shawn Knowles, Orlando Martinez, Livan Soto, Michael Stefanic, Aaron Hernandez, Robinson Pina, and Gerardo Reyes (presuming the Angels think he is healthy).

1 hour ago, ettin said:

Candidates, in my opinion, that could be cut, include: Sam Selman, Phil Gosselin, Keon Wong, Andrew Velazquez, Chad Wallach, Hector Yan, Jose Rojas, and Cooper Criswell.

Potential Rule 5 guys I would lean toward keeping, include: D'Shawn Knowles, Orlando Martinez, Livan Soto, Michael Stefanic, Aaron Hernandez, Robinson Pina, and Gerardo Reyes (presuming the Angels think he is healthy).

I think the top candidates to be DFA'd would be Gosselin, Selman, and Wong. Beyond that, I'd say Criswell, Diaz, and Yan would be next up.

I think I'd add Michael Stefanic and Connor Higgins to the 40-man.

On 11/18/2021 at 9:38 AM, totdprods said:

I'm keeping an eye on Atlanta. Now that the signed Pina and locked up d'Arnaud to an extension, they have some spare catching depth. 

Minasian might want to get a back-up who could take over if they let Stassi walk after this year. There isn't a single FA catcher that's really all that appealing to me, and we definitely need one more. I don't know what a Chad Wallach is.

Gomes not appealing?

Edited by Angel Oracle

On 11/18/2021 at 9:38 AM, totdprods said:

I’m hoping we could work out an extension with Stassi - maybe a 2 or 3 year deal that will buy a year or two of agency out.  Hopefully we can draft and develop a catcher in that time frame, or acquire a prospect from another organization (such as Atlanta, LA, SF, etc - all catching-rich).

2 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I’m hoping we could work out an extension with Stassi - maybe a 2 or 3 year deal that will buy a year or two of agency out.  Hopefully we can draft and develop a catcher in that time frame, or acquire a prospect from another organization (such as Atlanta, LA, SF, etc - all catching-rich).

Concur, like his work behind the plate and has shown some solid hitting aside from the big slump late this season.

3 year extension after 2022 would be a nice bridge to Quero.

Edited by Angel Oracle