• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rule 5 Protection Deadline on Friday

BTH

31 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I’m hoping we could work out an extension with Stassi - maybe a 2 or 3 year deal that will buy a year or two of agency out.  Hopefully we can draft and develop a catcher in that time frame, or acquire a prospect from another organization (such as Atlanta, LA, SF, etc - all catching-rich).

I’m still not totally sure what to think of Stassi. I don’t have any issue with him but there’s a bit of consistency and durability I want to see before I get too settled on him.

I wouldn’t necessarily do this, but I’ve wondered if a swap of Stassi for Contreras or Sanchez (plus others involved) gets discussed. Payroll saving for other teams, a player more durable/consistent/upside for the Angels…

16 hours ago, rafibomb said:

I can see Pina getting taken in the draft. I feel if converted to a pen arm he can easily stick to a team's 25-man for an entire season and actually doing pretty well.

I'm concerned about this.  And could easily happen.  Frankly, I think it will and while he could end up nothing he's definitely a high upside arm that I would have preferred to keep as he's the type that could turn a corner very quickly.  He's got the stuff and velo to do so.  And I'd have much rather see him added to the roster than keeping someone like Wong, Gosselin, Mayfield, Andrew Velazquez, or Hector Yan.  I watched a ton of his starts in 2021. 

Maybe I'm over simplifying things, but guys with guys that have control/command issues I tend to drop them into 2 categories.  Either they have no friggin clue where the ball is going and it's gonna be a tremendous project for them to get a feel for pitching or guys who are just young and inconsistent where they show you an amazing start where they hit their spots and then the next start they just don't quite have it.  

Pina is in the latter category for me for sure and when he's had it, he's unhittable.  He had a bit of a whirlwind season where he was really struggling early and then went back to A ball where he figured something out and then dominated between A and A+ after that with a 2.63 era and 99k in 65 innings.  And his walks dropped to about 3/9 during that time.  

I think some team is gonna take a chance on him.